• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Benefit of changing out stock drivers?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Whatever you do, don't go with the Polaris 3.5 pitch six tooth driver unless you want a ratcheting pile of junk. If I was going to pick a set up and money wasn't an issue I would go Avid extroverts.

Reactions: klarkkentster
S
Mar 2, 2009
I would stick with the same pitch and drivers, simpler, less costly... if you go boost then aftermarket extroverts and antistab and maybe a tougher track might be worth the investment. If a 2.86 pitch, I recommend the Camso Extreme 9105M 2.5" 9ueay, you give up 0.1 LOL) so much rougher of a track it will outlast multiple Polaris tracks in general.

Reactions: klarkkentster

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
On my 21-850-165. While breaking it in it ratcheted a couple times one day. I tightened it up a little more and it did it again. I'm also getting quite a vibration around 20 mph. The track is to tight for my liking. I bought avid extrovert drivers. I haven't had a chance to ride it since I put the anti ratchet drivers and mtntk bullet anti stab kit on.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
yes there is a big advantage to aftermarket drivers. The stock drivers do not have big enough extroverts to not ratchet without running the track super tight. The avid extroverts are much larger and grip the track much better without ratcheting. If you have boost its even worse with stock drivers.

• Haha
Reactions: rmk_900
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
yes there is a big advantage to aftermarket drivers. The stock drivers do not have big enough extroverts to not ratchet without running the track super tight. The avid extroverts are much larger and grip the track much better without ratcheting. If you have boost its even worse with stock drivers.

Don’t give our advantages away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I would also mention PowderFreaks in Canada make nice drivers. I am thinking of buying them for my 165 although if the track is tight it does not ratchet with the stock drivers. I hate the vibration of the stock drivers at slow speeds. My 174 does not do that.

• Angry
Reactions: boondog
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
There have been a few folks having some issues with the 21's new track pitch. I was out a couple days ago pulling some extremely steep big traction pulls with a fella running a 155 Khaos. He ratcheted badly at the bottom of the slope when he mashed the throttle, we tightened his track to the point where we started compressing the suspension and couldn't get it to stop. When he transitioned from the flat to the slope and compressed his suspension it would ratchet, after that it was fine. It is starting to look like avids are going to be required with the new pitch.

mountaintop

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2008
Finally had a good snow day. Any off/on throttle situation or soft/ hard snow transition on an incline with heavy throttle and mine ratchets like crazy. Belt drive or track has had a whirring noise and somewhat of a vibration since day one. Pulls like crazy compared to my 17 800 155. Have about 12 hours on the sled. Love / hate relationship thus far. 2021 Pro 850 155 QD2 2.75.

• Haha
Reactions: damx

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
There have been a few folks having some issues with the 21's new track pitch. I was out a couple days ago pulling some extremely steep big traction pulls with a fella running a 155 Khaos. He ratcheted badly at the bottom of the slope when he mashed the throttle, we tightened his track to the point where we started compressing the suspension and couldn't get it to stop. When he transitioned from the flat to the slope and compressed his suspension it would ratchet, after that it was fine. It is starting to look like avids are going to be required with the new pitch.

Local shop has been putting avids and anti stabs in sleds like crazy.

Broken shafts from ratcheting galore.

Reactions: mtncat1

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I have bought both Avids, stock and Powder Freaks drivers. Some drivers will vibrate.
I now use only Powder Freaks.

Reactions: Teth-Air
S
Jan 20, 2009
Once they start ratcheting you better plan on changing them out to Avids or something else or you will destroy the track. I have personally installed many Avid kits and not had any issues.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Since you're planning on buying a new track, changing pitch isn't a big deal. I'll second what everyone else has said, good extrovert drivers allow you to run your track a little looser (not loose, just looser than what polaris drivers require). I did mine before I even rode my sled just based on watching buddies for years have all the problems listed in this thread. Glad I did.

I just stuck the 'cat style' avid 3" pitch ones an an aluminum drive shaft, changed my 155 2.6 to a 163 2.7.

Next time I have the track off I'm going to file down the edges on the avids. They're a little sharp and I think do put some wear on the track. Nothing like ratcheting does though.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I have Avid center drive 6 tooth, 3.5 pitch drivers on a steel shaft. series 8 165 track.
I do not have any ratcheting, but I do have a pronounced track shift/thunk when on and off the throttle.
when I stop, the track shifts to the coast side of the drivers pretty easily.
this is running the track pretty tight. 1/2" deflection at 10lbs

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have Avid center drive 6 tooth, 3.5 pitch drivers on a steel shaft. series 8 165 track.
I do not have any ratcheting, but I do have a pronounced track shift/thunk when on and off the throttle.
when I stop, the track shifts to the coast side of the drivers pretty easily.
this is running the track pretty tight. 1/2" deflection at 10lbs
So that's what I am hearing with stock drivers?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I have the same set up now with the steel shaft and avid center port drivers after breaking my driveshaft, except with a 155. I feel like I can run my track at about the same tension as with my older 2.86 series 7 tracks on stock drivers.

It does clunk on takeoff from the drivers not being engaged in the track nubs all the time. My biggest complaint though about this track is the vibration. Its absurd how much more it vibrates and makes noise compared to the series 7. It does perform noticeably better though when it comes to deep snow.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
I have the same set up now with the steel shaft and avid center port drivers after breaking my driveshaft, except with a 155. I feel like I can run my track at about the same tension as with my older 2.86 series 7 tracks on stock drivers.

It does clunk on takeoff from the drivers not being engaged in the track nubs all the time. My biggest complaint though about this track is the vibration. Its absurd how much more it vibrates and makes noise compared to the series 7. It does perform noticeably better though when it comes to deep snow.

You mentioned “2.86 pitch” and “series 7”

Did you mean “series 6”?

(Series 7 is 3” pitch)

• Sad
Reactions: Track Man
Premium Features