• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclawbob from Cooke city

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The snowman is maybe coming through for us. It was 12 above and then he is calling for snow on Sunday (70%) Monday (60%) then Wednesday, Friday and Saturday we have a chance of snow.
At this time we have light snow falling.
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Our main concern is a layer of sugary facets buried 2-3’ deep. Now in addition, the recent snowfall buried a weak layer of surface hoar that may avalanche with the next few storms. Skiers got this layer to break clean in their stability test on Thursday. These layers are not on all slopes, so it is a good idea to dig to look for them before riding steep slopes, and to track their location as they could avalanche with the next round of snow. Today, buried weak layers make avalanches possible to trigger and avalanche danger is MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
After noon from Bearclaw, the snowman is calling for up to 6-7 inches by tomorrow morning. We do have some wind with this snow. Then we could see a couple more for Monday. Keep up the snow dance for another week.

Don't forget to mention the snowest discount when booking a room at the Super 8. It will save you money.

I fill avy bottles and sell and rent everything in AVALANCHE EQUIPMENT.
If your looking for a place to store your sled or bike at night, come see me.
If your needing a tool or a place to work on your sleds, bring your sled over and do it in a warm garage.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Expect danger to rise with the next round of snow later today. Plan to ride terrain that that accounts for stability to decrease this afternoon. Today the avalanche danger is MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Woke up to find another 4 inches of snow this morning. Just a couple of days ago, we picked up about 7 inches. The snowman is calling for more snow today.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Evening from the Bearclaw and Super 8.
If your in need of Rooms, try us out. Don't forget to mention Snowest discount when booking and you'll save money.
The snow man needs to get off his behind and start helping us with the snow dance. I don't see snow coming until next Friday.
If your looking for Polaris, skidoo and Arctic Cat parts. I have a lot in stock. Check us out last and find out where the best prices are.
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Dave rode near Cooke City last Sunday and Monday and traveled as if these weak layers are on all slopes. Although these layers do not exist on all slopes, you can avoid avalanches by avoiding slopes steeper than 30 degrees. Otherwise, you have to diligently assess the snowpack which starts with a thorough review of recent avalanche activity and media from the region (Cooke regional page), and should include digging to look for these layers before riding steep slopes. Today avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw Bakery and Super 8.

We have 10 below this morning. I see the reason we have no snow, to cold.

The snowman has added more days of snow. Now we are seeing Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Snowman must have gotten upset when I told him to get off his butt. He can use our help, keep the snow dance going.
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Review recent avalanche activity and media before you head out, and dig to look for buried weak layers on slopes similar to where you plan to ride. Today avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Morningou plan to ride. Today avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

Persistent icy layer 12-18" underneath on south facing slopes. Have had two sluffs last two days about 150' across, 18" crown. Both ran about 100-150 feet.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
This was on a smallish hill in the Bob Lake area.
922c0894485fedebae31f190e960f485.jpg

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Afternoon in Cooke city. The snowman is showing a few flakes at this time. He has given us an extra day of a chance of snow tomorrow. We still have a chance still for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: While tracks don't equal stability, riders are climbing steep slopes and are generally not triggering avalanches. A rider or skier can get unlucky and hit the "sweet spot" but the snowpack is less sensitive. Human-triggered avalanches remain possible and the danger is rated MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Evening from Cooke City. The snowman could have given us more snow. We picked up about 6 inches on the mountain and 3-4 in town. Most of the snow went North of us. We could see a couple more inches tonight and tomorrow. Keep up the snowdance.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Cracking, whumpfs or even a small avalanche, are signs to stay out of avalanche terrain. For today the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE on all slopes.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The snowman surprised us. Woke up to about 8 inches of snow. Since I plowed at 5 am we have picked up another 4 inches.
It's 28 degrees with a light wind out of the west and snow
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Be cautious of steep wind-loaded slopes and avoid steep slopes where you suspect buried weak layers exist. Large avalanches are possible to trigger and the avalanche danger is MODERATE.
I'm sure the danger will go up as the day goes on.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The snow is about over for the night. The mountain picked up around 18 inches and more in other spots. The snowman is calling for more snow for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Keep up the dancing.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and Bakery
The snowman is giving us a couple of nice days. Today will be a great day to see and ride. With over a foot of new snow it will be great. But remember to watch out for the objects that have been covered over.
\
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Carefully assess the stability of the new snow and avoid steep slopes if you see cracking, collapsing or fresh avalanches. Avalanches are possible to trigger and the avalanche danger is MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning to everyone from Cooke. The snowman is coming through with snow. We've picked up 3 inches since 3 am and looking for more to come. Stay tuned.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The snowman has put us in a winter storm warning till Sunday at 5pm. We could see up to 2 feet of snow. We picked up about 12 inches on the mountain.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: the new snow and wind-loading has added weight that will keep these layers from becoming dormant. Avoid avalanche terrain entirely if you see signs of instability such as cracking, collapsing or fresh avalanches. For today the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I've had a few minutes to sit down and give everyone an update. It's been a zoo around here the last few weeks. On the 5,6,7 of Feb. We picked up around 30 inches of snow. This morning we had another 6-7 inches again. Been out plowing till Noon today. The snowman is calling for more snow Friday, Saturday. Then Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.
Not as many damaged sleds this week.

I'll try and give you guys a better update from now on.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: For today the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE on all slopes.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Hello from Cooke City. The snowman was wonderful today. We had blue skies and some wind, but riding was good. He states that we'll see snow tomorrow and Friday. Keep up the snow dance.

Just a reminder that we do fill avy bottles for most packs. Check us out for other great values on parts for Polaris, Ski doo and Arctic Cat.
If your needing a room, don't forget to mention the snowest discount. You'll save money on a double room.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The mountains around Cooke City and West Yellowstone did not get any snow last night but have received 9” since the beginning of the week. Strong west to northwest wind Monday and Tuesday loaded slopes near the ridgelines. Dave is in Cooke City and got a good look around and dug a couple snowpits. He found two avalanche concerns: wind drifted snow near the ridgelines and thinner snow at high elevations where avalanches can release from (i.e. starting zones). He saw one wind slab that broke on Fisher Mountain. The same stability exists in Lionhead, however, the weak snow near the ground is more widespread. For today the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE on all slopes.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Any fresh powder left for the weekend?

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and the Bakery. The snowman was great to us last week. We had snow over the handle bars. We are in a winter storm warning until Sunday. For next week we see no snow coming in at all.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS:
The more serious issue is that we have the recipe for deep slab avalanches. Deep slabs are tricky. It’s hard (maybe impossible) to figure out which particular slope is going to break, but if a slope goes, the resulting slide will be huge and deadly. We don’t trust the snowpack and neither should you. Continuing to avoid all steep slopes is the best solution.

With large human triggered avalanche possible, the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

Premium Features