• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclawbob from Cooke city

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Afternoon from Cooke City, we picked up about an inch over night. The snowman is calling for more snow to come in on Monday. We will see temps tonight at 5 below. The snow has been shrinking, it's been nice during the days.
Thought I'd again tell everyone that I'm carrying SKI DOO and POLARIS PARTS, along with Arctic cat parts. We have after market drive belts and also original belts.
If your looking for a place to work in a warm shop, we have it. We do loan out tools if your in need of them.
Don't for get about the best breakfast in town. We are located next door to the SUPER 8 Motel. If your looking for a great value on a room, mention that you would like the SNOW WEST discount when booking.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
You mentioned carrying Doo parts a cpl times here, and so I checked the Exxon, and their web page seems to be down, and their facebook page is almost 18 months out of date.

I didn't find any thread title per this, but maybe it was covered in last year's Cooke thread. IDK....

What did I miss?

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from Bearclaw and Super 8 motel
The snowman has been good to us the last several days. The mountain has picked up over a 2 feet. He says we have more coming for a couple more days.
AVALANCHE REPORT: I'll start posting the Avalanche report now.
Near Cooke City, avalanche danger is elevated due to new snow and strong wind that will create fresh slabs. Today, these slabs are possible to trigger and large enough to bury or badly injure a person. Expect stability to decrease through the day as more snow and wind grow larger slabs. Be extra cautious of wind-loaded slopes where thick drifts form. The snowpack near Cooke city is 3-5 feet deep and generally lacks widespread buried weak layers. However, we have seen and heard evidence of weak snow buried 1-2 feet deep on some slopes. This includes a few avalanches west of Cooke City last week which broke 100 feet wide on a layer of sugary snow. Today the avalanche danger is MODERATE.

If your looking for Ski doo, Polaris and Arctic cats parts ,stop in and I will help you with them. I've brought in parts and more are coming in.
The garage has been busy with sleds getting repaired. I do loan out tools if your in need of them. I do offer a place to work on your sled or store your sled in a heated garage over night.

Last edited:

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Evening from Cooke City. The wind blew all day yesterday and created lots of wind loading. It was 5 below this morning and colder temp's are on the way.
The snowman is not calling for snow Saturday and Sunday. Lets keep up the snow dance.
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS:
Today is better stability than yesterday, but triggering slides is still likely on steep slopes, especially wind-loaded, and the danger is rated CONSIDERABLE. I do not expect many natural avalanches today, but skier…
See More

Reactions: Nightsider

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Afternoon from Bearclaw and the Super 8 motel. We have a blue bird day. The temp. at this time is at 15 degree. We'll see 6 above tonight. The snowman is still calling for snow on Saturday and Sunday. Keep on dancing.
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: There is no widespread weak layer that we are concerned about and active loading of the snowpack has been curtailed since winds have died down. This good news is tempered by the fact it’s still possible to trigger avalanches on steep, wind-loaded areas, or slopes that are thin and harbor weak, sugary facets. Yesterday’s reported signs of instability include a fresh avalanche on Miller Mountain and collapsing (whumpfs) at lower elevations. For today, the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE since triggering avalanches on skis or a snowmobile is possible.
If your looking for a place to fill your BCA, Snopulse bottles, we can do it.
The garage is open to work on your sleds. Need a tool, we can help you with that also.

The snow has been shrinking because it's starting to settle.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Merry Christmas to everyone. The snowman is calling for snow for Saturday and Sunday. Keep up the snow dance. The reason the snotel is shrinking is that the snow is settling. It's helping with the avalanche conditions.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Our primary concern around Cooke City is avalanches breaking under the new snow on wind-loaded slopes. While Cooke City got the most snow out of this last storm (over 2 ft of snow measuring 2.2” snow water equivalent), it fell on a snowpack without widespread weak layers. During the storm earlier in the week, many natural avalanches broke on steep, rocky, wind-loaded slopes. It is getting harder to trigger one of these slides, but remains possible. Stay safe by steering around the steepest, rockiest, most windloaded areas near ridgelines. The avalanche danger is MODERATE today.

Reactions: rmk01r1der

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Afternoon from snowy Cooke city. The snowman has been good to us in town. We've picked up about 4 inches in town and close to a foot on the mountain. But the snowman has removed Sunday snow. Now it's coming in on Thursday.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today avalanches are possible to trigger and the avalanche danger is MODERATE. Avoid steep, wind-loaded slopes and carefully assess the stability of the recent snow before riding slopes steeper than 30 degrees.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Afternoon from Bearclaw bakery and the Super 8 motel. By this morning we had picked up close to a foot on the mountain. It's overcast and the snowman is calling for snow Thursday.
AVALANCE CONDITIONS: Today, watch for instabilities in the new snow and on freshly wind-loaded slopes. Avalanches could break 2-3 feet deep below the storm snow that fell early last week. Today the avalanche danger is MODERATE. Be cautious of steep, wind-loaded slopes and carefully assess the stability of the last week’s snow before riding slopes steeper than 30 degrees.
I've had calls if we fill avy bottles: WE DO
We also rent avalanche equipment a long with renting sleds.
The parts are a great success that I carry for, Polaris, Ski Doo and Arctic cat.

Reactions: 800poodragon

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning to everyone from Bearclaw and the Super 8. The Temp's this morning is 10 below. The snowman is calling for below zero temp's for this whole week in the morning's. Make sure your scratchers are down this week getting out of town.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Afternoon from Cooke city. The snowman changed his mind and moved the snow day to today. We have a chance of snow through the night. The snowman is showing snow moving into the picture, Sunday, Monday and Thursday of next week.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Alex is in the area and reported that stability has improved from our visit last week. In the absence of new snow and widespread/persistent weak layers, the avalanche danger is rated LOW since natural and human triggered slides are unlikely.

If your looking for a motel room, check out the Super 8. When booking make sure you tell them that you would like the snowest discount. You'll save a few dollars.
The garage is open for you to work in a warm area and you can store your sled sor snowbike over night.

Reactions: Empire087
E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
Afternoon from Cooke city. The snowman changed his mind and moved the snow day to today. We have a chance of snow through the night. The snowman is showing snow moving into the picture, Sunday, Monday and Thursday of next week.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Alex is in the area and reported that stability has improved from our visit last week. In the absence of new snow and widespread/persistent weak layers, the avalanche danger is rated LOW since natural and human triggered slides are unlikely.

If your looking for a motel room, check out the Super 8. When booking make sure you tell them that you would like the snowest discount. You'll save a few dollars.
The garage is open for you to work in a warm area and you can store your sled sor snowbike over night.
Just checking, are you guys carrying avgas this year? Will be up in cooke this week coming up, figuring out if i need to bring more or less.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Was a great day to ride. It was above zero this morning. It's been lightly snowing all day. Most of the mountain picked up 6-8 inches of great powder. While town got a trace.
AVLANCHE CONDITIONS: These are times when we need to adhere to our basic safety protocols of traveling with a partner, only exposing one person at a time on slope and carrying rescue gear. In other words, always be prepared for the worst, especially when avalanches are unlikely. For today the avalanche danger is rated LOW on all slopes.

I do have avgas in stock at this time.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! The snow dance is working. Woke up to good news. The snowman is calling for snow starting Saturday (50%) Sunday (70%) Monday (60%) and Monday (80%). Keep up the snow dance.
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: You are unlikely to trigger an avalanche today near Cooke City. However, if you get unlucky and find just the wrong spot you could still trigger a slide. On Wednesday morning, a snowmobiler triggered a slide on Crown Butte that ran 400 vertical feet and piled up debris that was easily deep enough to bury someone. This is a good reminder to always be prepared and carry rescue gear so you’re ready to respond if something goes wrong. The avalanche danger is LOW today.

Reactions: rmk01r1der and Ox

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Wow tried to book a room this week Cooke City super 8 for only 1 day any day 5th thru the 8th and you are sold out !!!!!

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Evening in Cooke City. What a day, we had lots of wind today with great snow. The mountain picked up any where from 5-10 inches. The riding is getting better, but you still have to watch out for rocks and stumps.
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today, freshly drifted snow makes avalanches possible on wind-loaded slopes where avalanche danger is MODERATE. Avalanche danger is LOW on non-wind loaded slopes. Be extra cautious of steep wind loaded slopes, and dig down a few feet to assess the snowpack for buried weak layer.

It's been a busy two weeks at the motel. I'm sure if you tried back, some one might have canceled.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
After noon from Bearclaw/bakery. At this time we have blue bird skies with a temp this morning of 7 below. The snowman dropped about 8-10 inches of snow Tuesday and another 3 inches on Thursday. We could see more snow moving in on this coming Thursday.

Yesterday, a group of skiers triggered an avalanche on The Fin, near Cooke City (photo, details). Three people were caught and partially buried. One skier was buried face down and briefly lost consciousness while another was injured severely enough to require a helicopter evacuation. In a separate incident, a skier triggered and was carried by a slide that broke 2 ft deep and ran 500 vertical ft on the south face of Meridian Peak (details). While weak snow is not widespread, clearly some slopes harbor an unstable recipe. These avalanches are good reminders to stay conservative in your terrain selection, vigilant in your snowpack assessment, and diligent with your safe travel protocols. Only expose one person at a time to steep slopes. Today, human triggered avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Morning from sunny Cooke City. Woke up to 8 below.The snowman hasn't lived up to his name this year. We need more people doing the snow dance. The snowman is telling me we could see snow on Sunday and Monday . DANCE ,DANCE, DANCE
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Additionally, sprinkled throughout Cooke City is a layer of weak snow buried 2-3 feet deep that is responsible for recent avalanches. We are not done looking for this layer or trusting it. Two weak layers sporadically distributed makes stability assessment complicated. Digging and searching for these weak layers is the most prudent thing to do. Skipping this step leaves you with only one viable option: avoiding avalanche terrain. For today, triggering avalanches is possible on one of these layers which points to a MODERATE avalanche danger.

Reactions: kanedog
Premium Features