• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclawbob from Cooke city

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
They got a single lane emergency route open to Gardner to get supplies in and tourists out, but I've heard the park might be closed all summer. At least on the north end.

Billings had to shut down our water treatment plant this morning since it is flooded out. Have a day to day and a half water supply. Yellowstone river needs to drop 2+ feet to get it operational again. River is running all time high of 88,000cfs and last year at this time it was all time low of 8,000cfs. Wild.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Just curious, but do you think that the snowstorms that hit eastern Montana and North Dakota a few weeks ago might have contributed to this catastrophe? I know that both storms shut down the interstate and other state highways along with devastating their power grids. I mean, it dumped a couple of feet of snow on the plains of these states so who knows how much it dumped at higher elevations. Did these late snow storms contribute significantly to the devastation when it started raining so soon afterwards? Or are we to go along with blaming everything on global warming? Just wondering.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just curious, but do you think that the snowstorms that hit eastern Montana and North Dakota a few weeks ago might have contributed to this catastrophe? I know that both storms shut down the interstate and other state highways along with devastating their power grids. I mean, it dumped a couple of feet of snow on the plains of these states so who knows how much it dumped at higher elevations. Did these late snow storms contribute significantly to the devastation when it started raining so soon afterwards? Or are we to go along with blaming everything on global warming? Just wondering.
The flooding was a result of a COOL Spring, A Warm Rain and a long lingering snowpack.
All three brought down a HUGE amount of water at the same time.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Impressive shot of the canyon and the massive amount of water passing through it. Definitely some catastrophic results from all that runoff.
Cooke City is not having a good summer
They are now at the far end of a long one way road.
Its going to be a bear for them until the National Park Service gets them connected once again.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
And with the Beartooth highway from Red Lodge being washed out in several places it will be even tougher to get tourists to loop up from that way.

As far as the road from Gardiner to Cooke City... I wonder if this will open up an opportunity to do some maintenance and widen the road a little in places that otherwise would have been out of the question before?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And with the Beartooth highway from Red Lodge being washed out in several places it will be even tougher to get tourists to loop up from that way.

As far as the road from Gardiner to Cooke City... I wonder if this will open up an opportunity to do some maintenance and widen the road a little in places that otherwise would have been out of the question before?
its going to be a HARD SEASON for those folks.

I have seen an EXPLOSION of ads on Social Media begging people to come and visit.

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
The good news is Sun light is still good. Just the chip sealing and one corner getting fixed.
The bridge just before the parking lot as a little damage.
I hope they open the park enough to get to Lamar valley so people have a reason to go that way.Right now it's closed about a half mile past Silver Gate
This is the softball field

image.jpeg

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The good news is Sun light is still good. Just the chip sealing and one corner getting fixed.
The bridge just before the parking lot as a little damage.
I hope they open the park enough to get to Lamar valley so people have a reason to go that way.Right now it's closed about a half mile past Silver Gate
This is the softball field
For those of us in far away places, we appreciate pictures of the small town and area we love so much.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yesterday Yellowstone National Park made some comments that SOUNDED like they might open up a Temporary route into Cooke.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
hey bob anyone home?
See him occasionally on social media, but not here as yet

Bearclaw Bob'

Well the snowman blessed us with about another 14 inches yesterday. He's saying we are going to see partly cloudy skies for the next 3 days. Saturday snow moves back into the picture.

AVALANCE REPORT: The southern mountains, including the area around Cooke City and West Yellowstone have gotten 2-3 feet of snow in the last week. With wind and snow continuing, both natural and human triggered slides could occur and the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE on all slopes.

If your looking for avalanche equipment, come in and check us out.
We are 19 days from Christmas.

The bakery will be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday's this winter.

Premium Features