• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclaw bob 2

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning from Bearclaw and Cooke city. I would like to thank Jacob Mom for posting a few pictures of the area and staying at the Super 8 Motel.
The temps don't seem to want to warm up, but the snowman is tell me different. The temps are going to raise to the mid 20's during the day and in the teens at night. We do have a 40-50% chance of snow the rest of the week.
I'm going to add a second thread for those that need it.

AVALANCHE REPORT: I really want the avalanche danger to come down. I really do. But the snowpack is not cooperating. Avalanche activity and signs of instability cannot be ignored and the evidence feels a bit overwhelming. We had a rider trip an avalanche on LULU yesterday. He did deploy his avy pack, but wasn't buried, he was really a lucky person he wasn't. He stopped in and had his tank refilled and stated he would be careful from now on. It did shack him up, be safe when you are riding here in Cooke city. ◾Natural avalanches are still releasing around Cooke City (SE Republic Peak, Cache Creek, Amphitheater, Scotch Bonnet and Henderson). The past days activity is bulls-eye information that the snow is unstable and human triggered avalanches are likely. Throughout our advisory area the avalanche danger continues to be rated CONSIDERABLE.

If your looking for Avalanche equipment I've got it or other great items, like helmets, coats, bib's, gloves, boots, hoodies, t-shirts, belts.

Well that make me a little more nervous about going this trip. I'm heading out with 2 other guys that have been there before but this is my first time to cooke.

Thanks for the update Bob, glad said rider is ok and unharmed! These alerts are not to scare a person away from riding, it just informing you of the conditions that change very rapidly. A person just needs to respect the snow and make your own judgment call as to ride that area or not. Bob is a great person and will help about anyone that has an issue. He is very knowledgeable to the area, and has the equipment you need. That being said, I did purchase a pack from bob this year and you wont be disappointed in the pricing he has. Packs are not cheap, but...what's that $$ vs possible death. Rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!!!!
THANKS BOB

Deboer, there are plenty of areas to stay safe, away from the big hills and run out zones. Poke around in the trees, keep low angle and explore.

The forecast is calling for snow today through Saturday. The temperatures are getting bearable with a slight warm up. Yesterday, it was spitting small flakes from Cooke all the way to T.O.W. The riding at TOW is great, there are still many rocks and obstacles to be covered once you get above the tree line. In the trees, creeks and drainage's there is great snow. The ride over from Cooke is fairly smooth with snow cover at 100 percent on the road and trail.
We had a great day exploring and poking around the creeks and drainage's at TOW with 3 of us boondocking and sticking the sleds deep.

Today's avalanche report from avalanche.org

Mountain Weather:

Yesterdays scattered snowfall dropped 2-3 inches in the northern areas and an inch in the south. Winds have calmed substantially and are blowing 15-20 mph out of the west to southwest at the ridgetops. Temperatures are in the high teens up north and near 10F in the south. Today will become mostly cloudy and by tomorrow morning I expect another 1-3 inches of snow with light winds and temperatures reaching into the mid-20s.
The few inches of low density snow (5%) that fell will not affect the snowpack’s stability. This morning I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that the winds have been light and not loading slopes. However, not having things get worse is not the same thing as having it get better. Yesterday, an MSU graduate student collected a spreadsheet worth of stability data around Cedar Mountain in the Madison Range. He cut out 28 Extended Column Tests and had 27 of them propagate on a layer of very weak, sugary facets a foot off the ground. The tests broke with moderate force indicating poor stability (snowpit). He also had a collapse/whumph as he traveled to the test slope which is a major sign of instability. A “whumph” is an avalanche on the flats; if the slope was tilted it would have slid. On Monday, the same researcher got similar propagation results on Bacon Rind in the southern Madison Range (snowpit).

Weak snow near the ground plagues southwest Montana. Cooke City has a few weak layers mid-pack too. Regardless of the exact location of this layer, it’s important to remember that both skiers and snowmobilers can trigger avalanches. Over the weekend natural avalanche activity was seen around Cooke City, up Hyalite, in Beehive Basin and also on Buck Ridge in MacAtee Basin. Natural avalanches trump all other observations and warn us that slopes are very unstable and dangerous. Our photo collection will show you exactly what I’m referring to.

On Monday, Mark investigated the avalanche on Saddle Peak. He made a great video explaining what happened. Large grains of facets were underlying a thick, dense slab of snow; a common and unstable snow structure right now (snowpit). Given signs of instability like natural and human triggered avalanches, whumphs and poor stability tests, the avalanche danger today continues to be rated CONSIDERABLE on all slopes.

Water Fall Po.jpg tight spot.jpg kev close up creek chute.jpg jon in beartooth creek.jpg through the rocks.jpg

I'm heading to Cooke next week for the first time with my new 2014 switchback assault 800 2.0. Just wondering what everybody is running for clutching. I plan on setting it up like the manual says to but I'm sure some of you would know for sure if this is the best way to go. I'll see you all next week!

Always run 60 when we have rode there and sleds ran fine

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Fresh snow on the ground, fresh snow on the horizon.

Well, yesterday morning there was about 1-2 inches here in Cooke and about 6 inches in the basin. This morning, we are looking at 2-3 inches on the ground at the BearClaw Bakery, and it is still spitting a little. This week/weekend looks promising with snow predictions adding up.

The breakfast and 'special' dinner at the beaclaw bakery has been phenomenal as always. Here are a few pictures of yesterdays fun.

This week/weekend weather predictions from NOAA

Snow showers. High near 29. Southwest wind 6 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

Tonight Snow showers likely, mainly after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. Wind chill values as low as -10. West southwest wind 9 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Friday Snow showers likely, mainly before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. Wind chill values as low as -10. West wind 17 to 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around 3 inches.

Friday Night Snow showers likely, mainly after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Wind chill values as low as -5. West southwest wind 17 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Saturday Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 33. West southwest wind 22 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.
Saturday Night Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 16. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around 3 inches.

Cook Sign.jpg Cooke Altitude.jpg Cooke Ed Jump.jpg Cooke Group.jpg Cooke Poo Jump.jpg Cooke Trees.jpg Cooke Wy Daisey.jpg

Avalanche Report from Avalanche.org.......

Mountain Weather:

Snow has been slowly trickling into the area and more should come over the next few days. It’s currently snowing. As of 6 a.m. the mountains near Bozeman have received 1-3 inches of snow while the rest of the area has received about 6 inches of new snow. This morning temperatures were hovering near 20 degrees F. Winds increased and were blowing 10-20 mph gusting to 30 mph from the SSW. Today temperatures should slowly drop into the teens F. Winds should continue blowing 10-30 mph but shift to the W. An additional 3-5 inches should come today and snowfall should end early this evening.
Snowpack and Avalanche Discussion:

Cooke City

Usually we start the advisory with the region with the most unstable snow. Instead let’s talk about the Cooke City area where the snowpack is trending in a better direction. Doug and his partner are currently riding near Cooke City where the snowpack is about 5 feet deep and stronger than in other parts of the advisory area (video). So far, this area has received 25-50% more precipitation than other places. Early in the winter, this heavy snowfall caused a spike in avalanche activity on weak faceted snow near the ground but now this layer has gained strength on a lot of slopes. Can we still get avalanches? YES, absolutely (photo).

What does this mean? We can begin to trust the snowpack. With some work and an evaluation of the snow and the terrain, stable slopes can be found. For today overall the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE. With more snow falling today, watch out for a rising danger with fresh wind slabs forming near ridge lines

Deboer, there are plenty of areas to stay safe, away from the big hills and run out zones. Poke around in the trees, keep low angle and explore.

The forecast is calling for snow today through Saturday. The temperatures are getting bearable with a slight warm up. Yesterday, it was spitting small flakes from Cooke all the way to T.O.W. The riding at TOW is great, there are still many rocks and obstacles to be covered once you get above the tree line. In the trees, creeks and drainage's there is great snow. The ride over from Cooke is fairly smooth with snow cover at 100 percent on the road and trail.
We had a great day exploring and poking around the creeks and drainage's at TOW with 3 of us boondocking and sticking the sleds deep.

Today's avalanche report from avalanche.org

Mountain Weather:

Yesterdays scattered snowfall dropped 2-3 inches in the northern areas and an inch in the south. Winds have calmed substantially and are blowing 15-20 mph out of the west to southwest at the ridgetops. Temperatures are in the high teens up north and near 10F in the south. Today will become mostly cloudy and by tomorrow morning I expect another 1-3 inches of snow with light winds and temperatures reaching into the mid-20s.
The few inches of low density snow (5%) that fell will not affect the snowpack’s stability. This morning I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that the winds have been light and not loading slopes. However, not having things get worse is not the same thing as having it get better. Yesterday, an MSU graduate student collected a spreadsheet worth of stability data around Cedar Mountain in the Madison Range. He cut out 28 Extended Column Tests and had 27 of them propagate on a layer of very weak, sugary facets a foot off the ground. The tests broke with moderate force indicating poor stability (snowpit). He also had a collapse/whumph as he traveled to the test slope which is a major sign of instability. A “whumph” is an avalanche on the flats; if the slope was tilted it would have slid. On Monday, the same researcher got similar propagation results on Bacon Rind in the southern Madison Range (snowpit).

Weak snow near the ground plagues southwest Montana. Cooke City has a few weak layers mid-pack too. Regardless of the exact location of this layer, it’s important to remember that both skiers and snowmobilers can trigger avalanches. Over the weekend natural avalanche activity was seen around Cooke City, up Hyalite, in Beehive Basin and also on Buck Ridge in MacAtee Basin. Natural avalanches trump all other observations and warn us that slopes are very unstable and dangerous. Our photo collection will show you exactly what I’m referring to.

On Monday, Mark investigated the avalanche on Saddle Peak. He made a great video explaining what happened. Large grains of facets were underlying a thick, dense slab of snow; a common and unstable snow structure right now (snowpit). Given signs of instability like natural and human triggered avalanches, whumphs and poor stability tests, the avalanche danger today continues to be rated CONSIDERABLE on all slopes.

Rev Kev,
Like the new wrap! Just over 2 weeks and our IL/WI/IN gang will be at Ten Mile. I have finally graduated from the SBA to a '14 Pro. Can't wait to see what kind of trouble this sled can get me into. Hopefully not a night sleep in the mountains, LOL.. Enjoy Cooke!

more snow

Good morning from Bearclaw and Cooke city. I would like to thank Jacob Mom for posting the update for today, but I will update more. I've been busy waiting tables, because ,Cori our waitress broke her leg ( 3 spots) last night. The snowman is calling for snow until Wednesday, could see a total of at least a foot until Wednesday.

From the other thread, you must respect the area and know your limits and be careful.

AVALANCHE REPORT: Cooke City

Usually we start the advisory with the region with the most unstable snow. Instead let’s talk about the Cooke City area where the snowpack is trending in a better direction. Doug and his partner are currently riding near Cooke City where the snowpack is about 5 feet deep and stronger than in other parts of the advisory area. So far, this area has received 25-50% more precipitation than other places. Early in the winter, this heavy snowfall caused a spike in avalanche activity on weak faceted snow near the ground but now this layer has gained strength on a lot of slopes. Can we still get avalanches? YES, absolutely.

What does this mean? We can begin to trust the snowpack. With some work and an evaluation of the snow and the terrain, stable slopes can be found. For today overall the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE. With more snow falling today, watch out for a rising danger with fresh wind slabs forming near ridge lines.

We rode today I think we were mainly up by Round Lake and I was more than happy with the snow. We were able to find bumper deep snow pretty easily!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning from Bearclaw and Cooke city. I would like to thank Jacob Mom for posting a few pictures of the area and staying at the Super 8 Motel.
The temps don't seem to want to warm up, but the snowman is tell me different. The temps are going to raise to the mid 20's during the day and in the teens at night. We do have a 40-50% chance of snow the rest of the week.
I'm going to add a second thread for those that need it.

AVALANCHE REPORT: I really want the avalanche danger to come down. I really do. But the snowpack is not cooperating. Avalanche activity and signs of instability cannot be ignored and the evidence feels a bit overwhelming. We had a rider trip an avalanche on LULU yesterday. He did deploy his avy pack, but wasn't buried, he was really a lucky person he wasn't. He stopped in and had his tank refilled and stated he would be careful from now on. It did shack him up, be safe when you are riding here in Cooke city. ◾Natural avalanches are still releasing around Cooke City (SE Republic Peak, Cache Creek, Amphitheater, Scotch Bonnet and Henderson). The past days activity is bulls-eye information that the snow is unstable and human triggered avalanches are likely. Throughout our advisory area the avalanche danger continues to be rated CONSIDERABLE.

If your looking for Avalanche equipment I've got it or other great items, like helmets, coats, bib's, gloves, boots, hoodies, t-shirts, belts.

Thanks for the refill and hospitality Bob... I was playing where I shouldn't have been and I knew better. Just so damn tempting to not hit it, but in the end its not worth risking. I was lucky, could've been much worse.

I did catch it on GoPro, I'll get the vid up on here tomorrow

Returnig from Cooke

We just got back to MN from Cooke this morning. We found plenty of places to ride that were out of avalanche danger. Stuck to the trees and ravines and there was plenty of powder to play in. A fresh foot of snow or more Wed night made it hard to leave yesterday! We rode a little yesterday and had snow over our hoods back in the trees. Today would have been great riding for sure!

Great breakfasts as usual to! Thanks Bob!

snow,snow,snow

Good morning from Bearclaw and Cooke city. We'll it's still snowing this morning, we've had wind and more wind with it. The park road was closed last night. The snowman is calling for snow until Wednesday. We are looking for 4-6 inches of snow today. The temps will be in the mid 20's with wind. I'm sure we've had at least another 3 foot for the last two days.

The mountains around Cooke City have a stronger snowpack than the mountains around West Yellowstone. However, even the strongest snowpack can be broken. Over the past three days this area has received close to three feet of snow totaling nearly three inches of SWE – a massive load for any snowpack to bear.

Yesterday, a skier observed widespread natural avalanche activity; bull’s eye data the snowpack is unstable. If the snowpack cannot support the weight of new snow, there is no question it can’t support the weight of a skier or rider.

Today, the avalanche danger is rated HIGH on all slopes. Natural and human triggered avalanches are likely and avalanche terrain including avalanche run out zones should be avoided.

If your staying at the Super 8, don't forget to mention the Snowest discount, it will save you money.

Bear claw has lots of inventory on helmets, gloves and other items you might need.
We fill Avy bottles and also rent Avy packs.

surprise in snow

Good morning from Bearclaw and Cooke city. The snowman surprised me this morning to find about an inch of fresh snow in town, when the forecast didn't call for it. The snowman has changed his mind on snow. For Tuesday and Wednesday nights, the percentage is at 40-50%, but sunny during the days. The weekend at this time is calling for clear skies.
I hate to say, but the area is starting to get tracked up, but if you look, you can find powder snow.
I understand we had an avalanche that caught a rider on Henderson the other day, but he was very lucky.

AVLANCHE REPORT: Cooke City

On Friday a snowmobiler triggered a deep slab avalanche. It broke 4-12 feet deep, 500 feet wide and ran 300 feet vertical. He survived, but used up every one of his nine lives. He was buried near the side edge of the avalanche, was dug up, revived with CPR (which is very, very rare) and rode back to town. I went to the site yesterday to investigate the avalanche and found facets underlying a hard wind slab. This specific problem is termed “deep slab instability” (video, 4 photos). These are hard to trigger, but if you do, pray you’re as lucky as the guy on Friday.

To help us understand deep slab problems, picture a football field. Now picture a cafeteria tray tossed onto the field. The field represents an open avalanche slope and the tray represents a weak zone (typically thinner snowpack), the only spot on the football field where you can trigger it. You can ride and ski to your hearts content on that field as long as you don’t hit the tray, which is hidden like a buried mine. If you do, you’ll trigger the entire slope. The snowmobiler on Friday hit the tray and released a large avalanche. Around Cooke City many slopes have snowmobile and ski tracks on them. The tracks look inviting, yet beware the cafeteria tray. A skier can hit it just as easily as a snowmobiler and the result is the same…a deep and potentially unsurvivable avalanche.

For today, the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE on all slopes. But let’s face it; it’s a damn scary moderate!

Bearclaw has a new line up of Hoodies and t-shirts, along with other great items. Stop in and check out our line up of low cost items.

Bearclaw bakery's number one seller for last week was French Toast and her great every day specials.

What snow

Morning from Bearclaw and Cooke city. We'll guys the snowman is asking for us to start dancing again. He is telling me that we might get snow tonight, but only an inch, while Red lodge is going to receive up to 5. This shows me that the storm is going to go north of us this time. The forcast doesn't look good until the start of next week. So guys, help me with the snow dance.
The top of the world is still good, with powder and untouched area's.

The snowpack around Cooke City is deeper (averaging 6-7 feet) and stronger than any other area in our forecast region. It’s possible to find weak facets near the ground, but these spots are few and far between. On Friday a group of riders found one of these “few” slopes and triggered a slide which fully buried one person. They performed a text book rescue and saved his life. The slide was triggered from a steep, thinner area of the slope. The fracture pulled out wind drifts at the ridgeline 12 feet deep. Deep slabs are scary business (see below). They are hard to trigger, but once they release, watch out! A video and photos and of our avalanche investigation are on our website.

As the riders on Friday found out, avalanches are still possible. They are not easy to trigger, which is evident from all the tracks climbing steep hills. Folks are getting away with a lot. But we know there are thinner, weaker spots on some slopes that will rip out old tracks. For today the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

Guys, if your looking for a great place to stay, try the Super 8, they have over a 100 channels of Direct TV, this includes ESPN and HBO. Most of the rooms have HD TV and they are slowly getting frig's and micro's in each room. We do have WIFI that works. LOL
Call for great rates and mention SNOWEST and even save more.

Premium Features

Back