• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclaw Bob's, second posting

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
partly cloudy

I didn't have to plow, got busy in the garage. We picked up about 4 inches in town. The mountain received up to a foot in places. It was awesome riding up around Round Lake today.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS:Today, small avalanches in isolated areas or extreme terrain are possible, but generally safe avalanche conditions exist and the avalanche danger is rate LOW.

Sunny

We had a blizzard yesterday that lasted about an hour and dumped about 2 inches in town, but we had wind guest up to 50 mph. Today we will see sun with temp's in the upper 30's. Tomorrow we will see a 30% chance of snow and snow showers.

Sorry to say I'm out of the Link radio. I will get some more in.

We did have a guy get a broken leg. No other issues.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS:Wind slabs and buried surface hoar make avalanches possible to trigger today and the avalanche danger is MODERATE.

Frozen mix

The snowman might turn into a rain man today. We are going to see a 70% chance of frozen mix. Tomorrow will see a lower temp with a 30% chance of snow showers. At 5 a.m. there is no new snow to report and mountain temps range from the 20s to 30s F. Winds are blowing 15-30 mph out of S-SW. Today, a storm will move into the area producing widespread valley rain and mountain snow. Precipitation will begin by late morning-early afternoon and will continue through the day. Expect strong winds and rapidly dropping temperatures as the storm moves into the area.
It not to bad riding if you wait until 10 before you go out.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today, new and windblown snow will be adding stress to buried weak layers along with creating new snow instabilities. Pay close attention to changing conditions and avoid steeper terrain if new snow and wind increase the avalanche hazard.

Today, human triggered avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE. The avalanche danger could rise to CONSIDERABLE on wind loaded slopes with the arrival of today’s storm.

Good evening

If was a long trip to town today. YUCK! The street is bare, but it stayed cooler today then the last couple of days. The snowman is calling for a 40% tomorrow thru Wednesday. Its also getting cooler. The day temps are going to be in the mid to lower 30's and teens to 20 at night. We did pick up about 4 inches of fresh powder on the mountain last night, while it did rain in the afternoon yesterday. :face-icon-small-fro Lets all start the snow dance, we might have a chance to pick up more snow. HELP ME!!

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today, human triggered avalanches are possible on wind loaded slopes steeper than 35 degrees which have a MODERATE avalanche danger. All other slopes have a LOW avalanche danger.

Let it snow

Let it snow, not rain says the snowman. The forecast doesn't look promising. We have a chance of snow tomorrow, but then we have a chance of rain shower thru Thursday. The temps are looking like they will be in the mid to upper 50's. We've seen up to 6-8 inches on the mountain of fresh snow.

Don't forget the HOG roast is this weekend.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The mountains south of Big Sky and near Cooke City have weak layers of either surface hoar or facets, which are buried 1-3 feet deep. Avalanches last weekend near Lulu Pass, Republic Mountain, and Pebble Creek likely failed on facets buried 1-2 feet deep. Last weekend I investigated the instabilities near Cooke City and decided that no matter the weak layer, there was enough recent snow and a poor structure to elevate the avalanche danger. Karl was at Bacon Rind yesterday and found unstable test results on the surface hoar layer and got a large collapse while skinning. Moderate winds combined with 6-8” of snow since Monday will be enough to keep these weak layers on edge. Today, buried weak layers and wind-loading make the avalanche danger MODERATE.

HOG ROAST

Don't forget about the Hog Roast this weekend.

The snowman drop about an inch of fresh powder on the mountain last night. But he is also tell me that the temp's for the next couple of days will reach 50 degrees.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Today, new snow, buried weak layers, and lingering wind slabs make avalanches possible and the danger is rated MODERATE on all slopes.

rain/snow

The snowman is going crazy over this weather. He's still saying warm for tomorrow, then turning to cooler for the next few days. The high's will be in the lower 30's and single digits at night. We could see a couple of inches on the mountain this afternoon, while the town could see thunder showers. We have a 60-70 % chance tomorrow and Monday the temp's will be in the mid 30's with a 80% chance of snow.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: secondary concern will be dry slab avalanches. This problem exists mainly on north facing slopes that have been wind loaded. Yesterday, the Big Sky Ski Patrol triggered wind slabs in steep, north facing terrain. There is also the possibility for skiers and riders to trigger avalanches on weak layers buried 1-3 feet deep. On some slopes a thin layer of facets sitting on an ice crust can be found 1-1.5 feet deep. On other slopes a layer of surface hoar can be found 2-3 feet deep. Since north facing slopes will hold the best riding conditions today, it will be a good idea to dig a snowpit and assess these layers before committing to steeper terrain.

Today, both wet and dry snow avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

cold coming back in

Good morning from the little town of Cooke city. We've picked up about an inch in town about 5-6 inches on the mountain. The snowman is calling for another 2-3 inches by tomorrow. But look out. The temp's are dropping down to the single digits by tomorrow night. We could see snow till Wednesday with a high in the mid 30's and the low at 1 above.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Wind deposited snow will also be adding stress to weak layers buried 1-3 feet deep. A few days ago, a large slide occurred in the Lionhead area near West Yellowstone. It’s unknown how this slide was triggered, but it was likely caused by snowmobilers. The slide occurred on a wind loaded slope and appears to have failed on a weak layer buried 1-2 feet deep. Skiers also triggered a small slab avalanche on a wind loaded slope in the northern Gallatin Range yesterday. This slide failed on facets 1-2 feet below the surface.

Today – human triggered avalanches are likely on wind loaded slopes steeper than 35 degrees which have a CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger. All other slops have a MODERATE avalanche danger.

Every one made it thru another year at the HOG ROAST. Thanks to the town for putting it on. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

I would like to thank everyone that has showed up in town for the support that you give us. If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't be here.

Warning, Warning

The snowman has put us in a winter storm warning until Monday 6 pm. We could see up to a foot of snow when its all done. I'll let you know what we get in the morning.

Still in a Warning

The snowman didn't come thru with the foot. We ended up with about 3 inches in town. We are still in a warning till 6pm tonight. We could still see 8 more inches fall today.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: human triggered avalanches are likely on wind loaded slopes steeper than 35 degrees which have a CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger. All other slops have a MODERATE avalanche danger.

What the storm brought

Since Sunday night, we picked up 3 inches Monday morning and by this morning we picked up another 3 inches. Most of the snow that fell melted. Will give you a better update later today.

Clear skies

After noon to everyone. I got behind giving you updates. Sorry!! So this morning it was 5 below. with clear skies. We will see a warming trend coming. But before it hits we will see 9 below tonight. We have a 10 % chance of snow Sunday.
But we have picked up about 10 inches on the mountain over several days.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Skiers near Cooke City yesterday observed natural activity from previous days on wind-loaded terrain, and another group experienced large collapses that were failing on buried facets. Two days ago my partner and I found surface hoar buried 2 feet deep at Lionhead. Weak facets buried 1-3 feet deep are found near buried crusts on east and southerly aspects, and surface hoar 2-4 feet deep is found on shadier slopes. Dig to look for these weak layers, and avoid steep slopes if you experience collapsing, cracking, or avalanches. Wind-loaded slopes will be the most likely places to trigger an avalanche today. Avalanches are possible today and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

Went back behind round today. Good snow always cutting over a foot of powder.
Had some good bfast at the bakery too!

20160318_122251.jpg

Cold and clear skies

Woke up to another below zero reading (-5) The snowman is telling me that it will warm up. I told him, what JULY. Tomorrow we will see mid 30's and Sunday lower 40's. Monday we could see a 60% chance of snow and rain with a high around 40. Then is starts cooling down again in the mid 30's.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: An additional concern today will be wet loose avalanches. This problem will be most widespread on steep, sun exposed slopes. With plenty of fresh snow to move around, wet loose avalanches could be larger than one might expect. Wet loose avalanches also make good triggers for larger slab avalanches.

Today, both dry snow and wet snow avalanches are possible and the avalanche danger is rated MODERATE.

The end is close

Good morning from Bearclaw/ Bakery and the Super 8 motel. I would like to thank everyone that has come to Cooke City to snowmobile or ski. The end is here to tell you that we will be closing until the end of May. I hope everyone will have a great summer. If you are thinking about coming out this summer, we do rent side x sides and 4 passenger units. Call to book them

I had several people come up to me this year and ask why I didn't donate to the grooming fund. Just to let every one know that for the last two years I NEVER received a letter and form to do such a thing. Before that I donated every year. Maybe by letting sledders know about it, they will send me forms next year.

Again, thanks for helping out everyone in the town.

Premium Features

Back