• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avoid Tera Alps Racing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
Well I'm not one to come on forums and openly bash people or businesses so please don't mistake this thread for one of those. I am starting this thread to genuinely warn people of the headaches and lies that may ensue after sending/taking your sled or parts to Tera Alps Racing in Kelowna, BC.

So heres my experience that led to this post.

On november 29, 2010 I took my stripped down sled to Tera Alps Racing to get an estimate on rebuilding my front end of my 2008 XP which i had hit a big rock with. I took the sled in, stripped of all panels and plastics, essentially down to the frame and motor. I told Ted (the owner) what had happened, what I thought needed to be done, and what my deadline for having the work done was (december 21st, 2010 was my deadline). Ted and I looked over the sled, assesed what needed to be done, looked up parts costs and he gave me an estimate written up on a notepad. it was as follows; ~$700 for parts (Nun, e-module, and rear member of pyramid frame) and roughly the same for Labour (he quoted 5-7 hours labour @ $85/hr) and then obviously there would be some additional shop supplies, taxes, unexpected parts... etc. the usual stuff. In the end, he told me I would be out the door for between $1200-$1500 and told me that with regards to my deadline "I should have you out of here by next weekend" which would have meant a completed job sometime around the end of the first week in December. I didnt expect it that fast, because he did have alot of back logged work ahead of me, but he did agree that it would be ready well before my Dec 21st deadline when i was leaving town. I felt good about Ted as a mechanic, and he seemed like an honest guy so i shook his hand dropped off the sled, and even returned the next day with $700 cash to cover the parts and hopefully get the ball rolling quicker on the repair.
To make a long story short, the parts didnt even get ordered until dec 15th, 2.5 weeks after the sled was dropped off. My deadline quickly approached and no work was done, so now i was annoyed (but remained patient with him) and pressed for the work to be completed. I ended up waiting in Kelowna for 2 additional days, running around to get parts myself that he never ordered ahead of time. On December 23rd, 2 days after the agreed to deadline I showed up at his shop at noon and nobody was even there because everyone was too hungover from the christmas party the night before. In the end i ended up waiting around in his shop and actually helping assemble my sled myself with one of his shop helpers, while ted sat on his computer and BS'd about getting drunk the night before. Once myself and the shop helper re-assembled the sled and frame, ted wrote me up the bill.
In the end the repair cost me just over $2300, there were a few additional parts which we didnt expect needing (~$300 worth) which was fine, but he charged me for 15 hours of shop time... after quoting me between 5 and 7.
I was mad, but needed the sled because i was headed to Williams Lake for Holidays with my family, and i needed the sled for transportation for forestry survey contracts which I am currently working on in the bush.

Being the patient and understanding guy that i am i didnt harass ted, i didnt low-ball him, i just handed him a big stack of $20's and was on my way.

When i got home for holidays it proceeded to snow 3.5 feet in the BC coast mountains over christmas and boxing day, so i was eager to get out. I went for my first ride and the sled was running like ****, kept flashing error codes, throttle adjustment was all out out wack, and it would only rev to 6800 rpm. So i spent my day (3ft of powder everywhere) on the side of a trail, trying to fix the problem. In the end it was just the throttle cable housing that hadnt been tightened to the carbs so the carbs werent opening fully, and the coolant shutoff that runs to the carbs was left in an off position.

I phoned ted later that day and was very frustrated. He proceeded to tell me that it was my fault that there was these problems. He claimed i had rushed the repair, and as a result they didnt get a chance to finish the job properly. In addition, he denied ever agreeing to the Dec 21st deadline, Denied quoting me the $1200-$1500 repair cost, and denied that it was even possible to replace a Nun bracket and E-module in less that 7 hours of shop time.

So take this story for what you will, but i feel people should know when a business owner gives quotes and makes verbal agreements only to deny them later, charge a customer $1000 over the quoted price, and basically tell me to *#@& off when i call back frustrated with a incomplete job.

I personally will never return to this shop, and from what i understand this experience is not just limited to me.

sorry for the lengthy post, but i feel its worthy of mention.

cheers.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Just shows that if you want it done right, do it yourself. Sucks that it has to be that way, but I wouldn't trust very many people with my stuff. Sled stuff, you should learn to do yourself anyway. That way, when it breaks in the backcountry, you have an idea of how to fix it.

Just 2 weeks ago the jackoffs at Best Buy tried to burn my house down with their installation of my wife's new gas dryer. I had to redo it all.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
I fully agree. In fact i would have done the repairs myself if i had the time to do it. However this time I simply didnt have the time to do it myself and have it back together in time to start on my upcoming contracts... so i placed my trust in a guy who seemed honest, legitimate and reliable And he came up short in all respects.

Its in the past now, and I could care less at this point... I mostly just don't want to support people who operate businesses in this manner, and I don't think any good honest sledder should go through what this goof put me through.

So just like you said... do you work yourself, its your only guarantee.. But if you must go to a shop, avoid this place because i would bet my money he will do the same to you.

cheers to the internet for making it easy to share this kind of information.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
His name is Ted, right?
He's been on the forum a long time. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience...but it's the first one I've heard of with him.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
after making the post i decided to do a search on the company name on here.. and you are correct, there appears to be a few guys from a few years back that got it way worse than i did. I feel for those guys, i guess some things never change eh?

Reactions: PJ-Hunter
C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
yeah. between local guys I have talked to, and other information I found on here.. I would say that the place doesn't exactly have a good record in customer service. Wish i would have done that search before dropping my sled off.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If that's the case....my bad.
I just had not heard of them...not saying they didn't happen.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
That's too bad, I know of a few guys in Northern BC that will echo the same.

Personally, Ted has never treated me wrong and always had the parts I wanted. Cash in hand and parts on my doorstep. Always quality. Always been friendly and someone I would consider my friend. Good to benchrace with, good guy to drink with! And the girl he's got working there is oh so pleasing to look at!

Sorry about your experience....that sucks.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
hey. Fair enough, I dont doubt that he has had pleased customers, and he really did seem to know his stuff. Thats why I left my sled there in the first place.. But in my opinion a business owner should NEVER put a customer in the situation Ted put me in and if you do... at least be up front and own up to your wrong doings, dont tell me to `call back another time when your in a better mood` after I just gave you $2300 CASH :mad2:

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
if your in the kelowna area take your sled to Chad at CR racing. I've had my sled there multiple times with no problems.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
I dont think either of your comments relate to the real issue here... thanks for the insight tho.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
I live in Kelowna and from the stories I have heard Ted would be the last guy I would take my sled too.There is also Dr John formerly from M@M who is a mechanical wizzard as well as Chad

Since this post I have learned of Dr. John.. sounds like a good guy and a good mechanic from the few reviews i have heard. I will most likely be calling him the next time I do need some work done. What makes you say Ted would be your last choice.. just out of curiosity.

thanks for the info.

T
Nov 26, 2007
I live in Kelowna and I would not take my sled to anyone else other then CR Racing . Chad is a great guy to deal with and his work Quality is top notch. Best in the buisness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features