• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A day that changed my life forever!!!!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Any fuel injected sled will run upside down and a few with carbs also just not as long!!
Not using a tether is your choice and in the U.S.A thats a "freedom"
Thinning the Herd is a good thing.
PowderHound Best of Everything to you and your friend!!!!!!!!

ttt should be a sticky!

P

Powderdreams

Dec 9, 2007
I have been sledding for 17 years and have never seen a sled take off after it was started.
I do not believe how long one has been riding is really a relavent gauge. I have less than ten years in the activity, only managing to ride a week or three at most per year, and personnaly know of one (1) instance where a sled took off when started, and it cost a friend's daughter several months of pain as the "unexpected" incident broke her leg. I do not know if a tether would have saved breaking her leg, but it might have.
Safe Riding

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
UPDATE ::: I took his sled out to him last night. Ithad been cleaned up so that there was no proof of the wreck. It was neat to watch him with his sled. He gave her a pat and told her it wasnt her fault. I wanted to see where it happened so we got a light out and looked under the sled. It was good to see him interact with his sled again. He started looking at the handlebars and what he would have to do to mod her a little. He wants to try and take her out byu the end of the year. When we go I promise there will be some pics for sure .. He is doing good .

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
UPDATE ::: I took his sled out to him last night. Ithad been cleaned up so that there was no proof of the wreck. It was neat to watch him with his sled. He gave her a pat and told her it wasnt her fault. I wanted to see where it happened so we got a light out and looked under the sled. It was good to see him interact with his sled again. He started looking at the handlebars and what he would have to do to mod her a little. He wants to try and take her out byu the end of the year. When we go I promise there will be some pics for sure .. He is doing good .

That is so awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated! :high5:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
That's a great update.

Your buddy has character and strength!!!!! What a cool dude.

Mtn-Track

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
N/E, CO & GL, CO
I didn't see anything on that link that says that the laser is safe for eyes. ???

I think we've all heard the horror stories of pilots getting blinded by these laser things. I don't know if that is temporary or not? But either way - I would think that if someone was selling one with intent to flag someone down - it should be _ and say that it is safe for flashing in some-ones eyes eh? :face-icon-small-con

It's a "WIDE ANGLE" laser, not a "pin-point" laser.

POWDERHOUND; Thanks for the update!:high5:

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
I know many of us are getting sled out and gettin gthem ready. I have re-read all the accounts from this thread. I want to thank all of you for thoughts and prayers. Shawn is doing very well. He has been working out and trying to get his arm ready for a prothetics. We are going to change out his track and his wrap... Get rid of the memories, work on his mods so that he can ride her and get out on the snow when it flies. Some people on this thread questioned wether or no they would wear their thethers. I came accross this and it made me throw up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Cs4gZ81so&NR=1&feature=fvwp

You listen to that motor spool up and the sound that track is making . Now imagine you being trapped, or laying next to that track. Wear a thether clip it to your coat and live to ride another day

Reactions: Oregonsledder
B

Bridger

Jan 27, 2009
SE IDAHO
THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!!

HI EVERYBODY!! MY NAME IS SHAWN BRIDGER... IM THE GUY THAT SURVIVED THAT DAY IN JANUARY. I WANTED TO JUMP BACK ONLINE TO THANK A FEW PEOPLE THAT DESERVE MORE THAN I CAN EVER GIVE THEM.... THE 7 GUYS THAT SAVED MY LIFE!!! IT WAS A CRAZY ACCIDENT.... ALOT OF THINGS WENT BAD THAT DAY...BUT ON THE FLIP SIDE, EVERYTHING WENT RIGHT.... IM HERE TODAY TELLING YOU ALL ABOUT IT.. IVE MADE SOME GREAT FRIENDS IN ER'S, OR'S, ICU'S, SICU'S, AND CLINICS ALL OVER THE WEST...OH YEAH..AND A FEW HOT NURSES..SPONGE BATHS...OOOO WE BETTER NOT GO THERE...LMAO I ALSO WANT TO THANK EVERYBODY WHO SENT ME ALL THE GOOD WORDS ON SNOWEST... I HAD MY IPAD RUNNING EVERYDAY I SPENT IN HOSPITALS...READ ALL THE THREADS WISHING ME THE BEST... THANKS EVERYONE!!! YOU KEPT A SMILE ON MY FACE AND KEPT ME JONESIN TO GET BACK ON THE SNOW PULLIN 12-14 LBS OF BOOST!!!
AS FOR ME AND MY RE-HAB...IM DOING GREAT!!! IV'E HAD A FEW SETBACKS...CRACKED MY ELBOW RIDING A BUCKIN HORSE...FELL OFF MY TRACTOR WHILE STANDING ON THE STEP DOING SOMETHING I SHOULDNT DO OFF A MOVING TRACTOR...SHOVING MY BONE THROUGH THE END OF MY "STUMP"... OTHER THAN THAT, MY RECOVERY IS RIGHT ON SCHEDULE...
I ONLY HAVE ONE THING I WANT TO PREACH TO YOU!!! PLEASE WEAR YOUR TETHER'S!!!!IF I WOULD HAVE HAD ONE, I WOULD STILL HAVE A LEFT ARM.... IVE READ ALOT OF ARGUMENTS ABOUT FACTORYS INSTALLING THEM ON ALL NEW SLEDS... WHY ARENT THEY??? YOU DONT FIND THE AUTO MANUFACTURERS BUILDING RIGS WITHOUT SEAT BELTS!!! THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT...
THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYBODY !!! I HOPE TO SEE EVERYONE ON THE SNOW SOME DAY!!!! TRUST ME... I WILL BE THERE THE DAY THERES A SCIFF...LOL:rockon:

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Hey Shawn

Glad to hear that things are working out well for you. Seems like a positive attitude is half the battle when dealing with things like what you had to go through. It sounds like you have that one figured out pretty well already. Good look with finishing up your re-hab and getting back to the things you love doing.

Reactions: Bridger
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
AS FOR ME AND MY RE-HAB...IM DOING GREAT!!! IV'E HAD A FEW SETBACKS...CRACKED MY ELBOW RIDING A BUCKIN HORSE...FELL OFF MY TRACTOR WHILE STANDING ON THE STEP DOING SOMETHING I SHOULDNT DO OFF A MOVING TRACTOR...SHOVING MY BONE THROUGH THE END OF MY "STUMP"... OTHER THAN THAT, MY RECOVERY IS RIGHT ON SCHEDULE...

Good to see you are not going to let this stop you from living! :face-icon-small-coo But maybe... just maybe... cut down on the "doing something I shouldn't do" stuff??? lol ;) :rockon:

Reactions: Bridger

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
USA dude. Good to hear from you. Last season I included your story in one of our club newsletters as an eye opener. Since then many of my buddies now ride with a tether. I even told your story tonight and wondered how you were. Good to hear you're getting better. Keep up the smile and thanks for being brave and telling your story.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5RxJPiryrU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

UPDATE !!!!!!

Here is the video of his first ride last Friday. You can see on the video that he doesn't have his prosthetic yet. He uses a bunjie that is fastened to his arm and loops it over the left grip. This gives him just enough to stableize himself. The brake has been moved over to the right side. Once his prosthetic shows up there will be no stopping him. It is amazing to think that in 11 short months from a day that should have taken his life he is back out on the snow !!!

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I'd like to think I'm bright enough to learn from others misfortune. I took your advice to heart and have put a tether on every sled I own and advise anyone else I talk to to do the same. You are an inspiration to me, I don't know that I could be as upbeat and as positive as you are being, if I ever do end up facing a challenge like you have, well, you've set the bar high. I actually know a guy in Alberta that lost his left hand in a farm accident years ago, he rides a turbo Artic Cat and believe me it doesn't slow him down. Hope you have lots of sunny powder days this season to enjoy.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Just read through this whole thread, glad Shawn is back out living life, kudos to you,man.
Prolly one of the most helpful, eye opening post I've ever read on these forums. I've always rode Doo so that tether has always been clipped to my jacket,sometimes I cuss it when it gets snagged on a hand grip but I put up with it. Always wore it cause I didn't want a wrecked sled because of a ghost-ride, this incident brings new light to a better reason for using the tether,THANKS for that, unfortunate that it was.
I've rode other brands that don't have tethers and always felt that something was missing, safety-wise, when I rode off without that tether hooked to me, you can bet I'm going to tell my friends about this incident before we take off and their tether is clipped to a cable on their handlebars.
Happy trails folks!!:face-icon-small-hap

Reactions: ravenlunatic

ravenlunatic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2008
Revy- Raven
Tether Useage

Thanks for keeping us up to date< sure is good to hear that he's back out riding.
There has been alot of good come out of such a tragic accident.
I just told my wife I was reading about Shawn's recovery, and she said ' yes I'm going to wear my tether', as I've been on her case for about a year.
So thanks again!!!!

Cheers

Reactions: RobertTrivanovic
Premium Features