• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A day that changed my life forever!!!!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Need to find or design a right handed brake for him!

I have wished that I had one on my sled a few times!

Ever git in one of them wrong sided sidehill decents where you know if you reach over there for the brake that it will roll?

Had that a time'r two up north, as well as once in Lincoln. Came down the wrong part and it was right handed downhill in pretty set-up snow. I was able to just reach the brake and git it stopped, but not by much!

Thought about making them, but I doubt they would sell...

I guess a simple "remote" set-up like the Goldfinger throttle will work if nothing else...

Kind'a gota wonder if the new reality hasn't quite hit home with your chumm?
Man - it sounds like a gut wrenching issue of life change to me.

Maybe he will be stronger, faster, smarter, and better looking than he was before? :face-icon-small-win

No - I was not kidding about wondering if the tether could be too long. I guess if you did have it hooked around your wrist like was mentioned - you would likely not have it too long, and your right hand shouldn't be going too far if you are still in semi control of things. So I guess that sounds good.

I was thinking _ having it attached to the coat and the slack that would be needed for that to work. I figger my luck would have me wiping out and ripping my coat all up and now with my machine all messed up I am stuck out in the bush for a cpl days with a ripped coat. Swelll... (Stayed in the bush a few nights already) Or be trying to navigate a sidehill and need to hold that edge or else (Seems like that was in White Out and Wide Open (or other?) recently?) and end up tangled and kill the motor when you REALLY wish it not to. Or even bouncing around while climbing a tree laden hill...

Then CG adds her $.02.

When you wunna git into fluke accidents, you can be on either side of it. One guy (or Gal - excuse me) git's into trouble b/c he did one thing, and another guy gits into trouble b/c he didn't doo the very same thing. To be safe - it's better to stay on the couch and watch Lucy...

I'd like to be a fly on the wall with each of you a yr from now to see if you are still wearing your tether with your renewed scare, or if you resorted back to our old ways of negligence. :drum:

Again - sure hope your chumm comes out good on the other end of this! :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Your friend will ride again !!! I know a guy that lost his right arm above the elbow and he had a left hand throttle installed and adapted his right bar with a hook....he has a claw on his prostethic and rides all day with us like that. He has become the camera man and there have been times when we would find him sitting in the snow with his sled buried and his prosthetic arm hanging from the bars....lol....he has a great time.

Reactions: m8magicandmystery

2fun4u

Feb 20, 2002
Mountain Home, ID
www.2coolairvents.com
Thank you for sharing this story. Perhaps one day another story will be posted on this forum telling of an "old story" that caused someone to buy a tether that saved someone's life!!!

Buying tethers for our pros tomorrow.

:) T

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
I have never ran the tether, and prolly won't start now either. By the same run of luck I would have about as good'a odds of getting it wrapped around my neck. Prolly better go with the arm...

not sure i am following this logic....someone writes a very heartfelt story and some great lessons learned and this is the reaction? i have had sleds "pin wide open" on their own twice in my 35+ years of riding..cable issue, and frozen carb. tether was a sled/life saver both times. i'd recommend you reconsider.

VERY sorry to hear about this guys. great that you have looked back for lessons learned. one you did just as a human reaction was to just be there and hold onto him. i lost a leg in a motorcycle accident 18 years ago. i was wide awake the whole time and it was a life-imprinting experience. a bystander sat next to me and gave me his hand (which i thought i might break, i was squeezing so hard). this simple act, along with talking to someone and keeping them engaged is a VERY big help in fighting off shock.
i will always be thankful for this persons help, i have visited him on several occasions. he actually cries every time i stop by. even if you do not know each other, events like these stay with you. take from it the "good" parts....knowing you saved someone. knowing you all stepped into the ring when it counted. realizing how a great day in the powder is one of the most amazing things to be experienced in life, and how fleeting these moments can be.
this is just the beginning of an important experience for all of you. stay tight, you will all learn some pretty incredible things about yourselves and each other.
i actually consider who i ride with just for this reason. some guys are fun, but will they be able to step up in the right way? worth considering.
a very different circumstance from mine, but if he needs ANY information about losing a limb i can certainly help get him in contact with lots of sources.
please PM me or call 970-509-0107 (scott)

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
There are arguments against and for the tether regarding safety. I think it should stay a personal decision and manufacturers don't need to be mandated by an already intrusive government. I think the manufacturers know people won't be happy if they put tethers on the sleds. They are cheap and I think it needs to stay a personal decision...and if if sleds do come with tethers I have no doubt people will just take them off. Ya can't force people to wear them.

This is just my opinion, don't flame me.

I'm not a big regulation fan... as I think seat belt or helmets laws are BS.. people should make his or her own decision on that. However, if your action may harm me (such as texting while driving) there needs to be a regulation. I have seen several near misses because people start a sled and it takes off something tethers would resolve. MP Slut I think you would agree with me that you would never want to see someone get killed/injured by a run away sled... In this case, just hope this guy get back on his feet

Reactions: Powderhound

Mtn-Track

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
N/E, CO & GL, CO
Thanks for posting this.

I'm glad your buddy is taking this so well. His recovery should be a lot quicker with such a positive attitude!

On a different note, all my sleds have a small Otterbox with matches, mirrors, air-launched flares, and laser flares. These laser flares are small and are CHEAP considering what they can do. I also carry one in my pack along with my other survival and med-gear. They have a longer-range (higher priced) green one, but I went with the AA battery version since I carry plenty of them for my radio, GPS, etc.

http://greatlandlaser.com/rescue-laser-flare-magnum.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I wish your friend a speedy recovery.

I did not read through everyone's posts - my apologies if this has already been suggested.

I carry an old CD/DVD with me in my backpack in case I have to signal an aircraft. I hope that I never have to use it.

tk

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The visuals that I had from this. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandy, I've ALWAYS had my tether on my wrist, I have never failed to put my tether on when I am riding, except for when I get on a sled without a tether...but now might consider clipping it to my jacket or tekvest. Good idea.

S

snowyo

Dec 11, 2007
BC
Thanks for sharing the brutal story it's an eye opener to a LOT of us...wow.

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
just an additional item...
it was an issue that the helicopter couldn't find them directly. i think we that carry a gps assume that if we can get out a call we can give coordinates and they will fly right to us. my experience in calling in helicopters even with direct radio contact is not always simple. i flew fighters in the air force and had a bit of experience with this through survival school, etc. two things that can help IMMENSELY are a good handheld survival compass and a good marine grade strobe light. i always carry both, and haven't met anybody else that carries a strobe. it will get you noticed WAY faster than a road flare or some other options. in the dark it is crazy how quickly you will be seen/found. even it daylight it will attract the rescuers eye if they are anywhere near. i linked a good site for these lights. they are pretty cheap, small and i carry it ON MY PERSON. works good even if you get separated from your group and just are trying to rejoin. the marine ones work in/under water. if, god forbid, you had to leave someone to go for help you can also leave it attached to them making it much easier to get back to them.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/personallights.html

Last edited:

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
I read this shortly after it was posted and was so speechless I didnt comment. First, thanks for sharing. It never gonna make it better, but stories like this will more than likely affect the lives of many. As Ive gotten older Ive started to be a bit more of the saftey officer than I once was, and reading stuff likes this just adds fuel to my fire. My dad will not wear his tether (or a seat belt) and Ive yet to have him read this but I did print it and will be cramming it in his throat this week. We send our prayers to your friend and his family. Based on the reading here Im guessing that his character will make this simply a speed bump. I cannot preach enough to kids..Your parents want to see you grow up get married and become productive people in society. Just because its not cool, or you dont like it, if it seems to make things safer.. DO IT... And to the parents that raise us... Times have changed, this isnt a RUPP or a Yamaha 292gp, these sleds will take all of us places that we have never dreamed of! The safety stuff is just part of it.. Through all of this I hope that everyone takes a moment to evaluate their safety and emergency action thoughts so if something is to ever happen in your group like this the outcome is as good as this one!!!

Reactions: nikeholley
M

MPS

I'm not a big regulation fan... as I think seat belt or helmets laws are BS.. people should make his or her own decision on that. However, if your action may harm me (such as texting while driving) there needs to be a regulation. I have seen several near misses because people start a sled and it takes off something tethers would resolve. MP Slut I think you would agree with me that you would never want to see someone get killed/injured by a run away sled... In this case, just hope this guy get back on his feet

I see your point, but still don't agree. I have been sledding for 17 years and have never seen a sled take off after it was started. Because you have seen several doesn't mean it happens all the time everywhere else. Does it happen..of course. However, I have never heard of someone getting injured by a runaway sled. Does it happen...yup.

I think your idea is like the government restricting the use of Yellowstone Park because a few people have been mauled by bears. It is like the government banning handguns because a few kids shot themselves or killed others. Harmful incidents are going to happen. That is the problem with this country is we want to be babysat by Uncle Sam and spoon fed. How about we all just have better personal responsibility and string up the people that are malicious and negligent as hell.

The federal government has far overstretched its boundaries. If the government keeps mandating industries to do chit to their products it will only keep raising prices and hurt the private market and us. The sledding industry is already grossly over-regulated. Hell I just got a card in the mail from Artic Cat telling me they were mandated by federal law to reflash my sled. So Artic Cat had to reflash every 2011 sled...or at least the M8 SnoPro. How much is that going to cost them? Who is gonna pay for that in the end? Us!

My point is I am sick of regulation and mandates. The government needs to stay out of my life. Yes we have laws to obey that protect people from harm. Yes, I certainly believe tethers can prevent certain accidents. I will most likely get them for our sleds. Powderhound said this was a "freak" accident...meaning it is rare. I believe it is rare. A rare incident shouldn't be the qualifier for government intervention. If Brandy convinces the sled manufacturers to put them on sleds...AWESOME! I stated before that maybe the manufacturers don't put them on because they believe people won't like em. Well they are simple to take off...they can deal with it. I am cool with a manufacturer increasing the safety on their own accord. So I changed my tune on that...if they don't put them on...then ok...then it needs to stay a personal decision and people need to have personal responsibility.

FYI there are already laws on the book for "texting while driving." It is called "inattentive driving." However, people feel the need to throw in laws to address an even more specific behavior...who knows why. No wonder our judicial system is becoming such a mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leardriver and Ox
L

Lefty

Apr 26, 2008
Teton Valley
Before I tell you the story of our day of riding last friday I ask you to please think before you reply. We have gone over all the scenarios a thousand time. For everything that went wrong there was a hundred things that went right. Please do not judge !!!!!!! Or act like know it alls. This accident was a freak and it has changed the life of everyone who was there. I do share this only to hope and pray that it never happens again. If you act like an azz I promise we will hunt you down.

It was your normal day of riding blue sky riding in Wyoming was great. They had some new snow and we were out playing. All of us have been well avy trained all wearing beacons, abs packs, shovels , etc etc. Prepared as prepared can be. My buddy had gone up a hill and was hitting it very hard. We all had been up this hill a hundred times. My buddy crests the top and he is carrying too much speed. As he leaves the ground he taps the brake to bring the nose down. ( I cannot express enough at this time he has been riding for 25 years. He has raced motorcycles. He has been on the smaller hill climb circuits. He knows how to freaking ride) the front of the sled comes down and the spot where he hits is too soft. He is pitched over the bars lands face down and the sled lands upside down. On top of him. The weight of the snow pushes the throttle and the TM8 comes to life. Track spinning 8200 rpm grabs my friend and pulls his arm in the track. His arm is sucked in and pinned between the track and the side of the tunnel. Yes we know there is not enough room for an arm To fit there. it is about 20 seconds before we get the sled shut off. We had guys not the ridge calling 911. Ron has sat behind him to cradle him to make him as comfortable as we can. I immediately start unbolting the. Suspension to get him freed. He is bleeding badly and we have to get him out. As we get him out we immediatley start working on first aid. we put a turnaquit on his arm to stop the bleeding. We have to wrap what is left of his arm... I hope that someday I can forget the way his arm looked. The power of that sled stripped his arm of all flesh, meat , and left nothing but Bone from the elbow down. It was like something from out of a horror movie. We got him freed and stable. Built a fire to keep him warm until the chopper came. Ron cradled him for two hours like a baby waiting for the chopper to arrive. This is where I want to educate you all What happens with life light. it is not a science and it takes a while to get there. It took them two hours to find us. We had given them gps coordinates but somehow from us to the dispatch to the helicopter it was told to them that there had been an avy!!!! They were looking for an avy and not a group on top of a ridge. When the helicopter came into views they didn't see us. They were looking in the canyons. We were a group of 8 riding around yelling twirling coats... I even threw a whole can of gas on a tree before they saw us. My buddy is now in SLC at the huntsman center. He has lost the lower part of his arm. We went to see him yesterday and he is in suprisingly good spirits. He is talking about needing a crossbow for hunting and is already coming up with mods for his sled to ride next year. He starred death in the face and won. I want to share with you the things that we learned and what is needed on the hill.

1) WEAR YOUR TETHER .!!!!!!!!! Before you judge too harshly I understand that most new pros don't have one . If that is the case then Polaris needs a recall. We have a new pro in the group and it did not come with a. Tether. I almost always have a tether on, and I didn't have mine hooked up either. It is not just a jump that could have caused this. A side hill and you roll to the lower side same thing could happen.
2) carry a way to signal a chopper. If all of us had a small mirror in our bags they would have found us quicker.
3) carry a pain killer. You cannot use ibuprofen it is a blood thinner and one cannot take it. We could have given him tylenol, to take the sting off a little.
4) help can be coming, but it took them two hours to get to us. Do you carry space blankets, firstaid, food, fire starters, we had all that but I feel you when your buddy is in that condition I wish I had some morphine to knock him out. That was the longest two hours of my life.
5) when ever an emergency comes. SLOW DOWN!!!!!!! Think you can waste a lot of time
Powder hound, let me know if I can help in any way... Lost left arm above elbow in 1995, on a bike.. That's what got me on a sled, today I guide backcountry at togwotee. I've figured out what works, as far as set up & also chase elk with a crossbow. I'm in victor, Lefty (208) 709-7593

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
First off: Thanks for sharing, this is a real eye opener.
And as it's been said in other answers I too got chills down my spine reading this.
I've been the first person to some traffic accidents and want to highlight one point you present in your post: TAKE YOUR TIME!
If an emergency occur do not rush into it, but take your time to assess the area and see what you got to help you solve the problem/injury. If you rush into an area where it may be some injury you could cause more harm the person or persons involved including yourself, and as you said "the hand looked like something out of a horror movie", this could actually send people in shock if you aren't somewhat mentally prepared.
Hope your friend recovers and that he'll be able to ride again.

Last edited:
S
Nov 10, 2011
That's a crazy story and I sincerely wish your friend to have a speedy and successful recovery!!

I only recently got into the sport, and thought the tether was too much of a hassle, and that the riding I'm doing now isn't 'extreme' enough to warrant a tether. This story definitely set me clear...from now on I'm using the tether.

B
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks to Shawn's buddies

We want to thank all of you for saving his life without your fast actions I am sure we would have lost him. He wanted me to go with all of you that day I wished I could of been there but I think I am glad I wasn't I don't know if I could of taken it. I hope & pray he can recover & we can ride together again. He has the best group of friends anyone could ever have!!! Love you all!!! his father-in-law PS I ordered threads for our sleds

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Thanks for posting this.

I'm glad your buddy is taking this so well. His recovery should be a lot quicker with such a positive attitude!

On a different note, all my sleds have a small Otterbox with matches, mirrors, air-launched flares, and laser flares. These laser flares are small and are CHEAP considering what they can do. I also carry one in my pack along with my other survival and med-gear. They have a longer-range (higher priced) green one, but I went with the AA battery version since I carry plenty of them for my radio, GPS, etc.

http://greatlandlaser.com/rescue-laser-flare-magnum.html

I didn't see anything on that link that says that the laser is safe for eyes. ???

I think we've all heard the horror stories of pilots getting blinded by these laser things. I don't know if that is temporary or not? But either way - I would think that if someone was selling one with intent to flag someone down - it should be _ and say that it is safe for flashing in some-ones eyes eh? :face-icon-small-con

I'm not a big regulation fan... as I think seat belt or helmets laws are BS.. people should make his or her own decision on that. However, if your action may harm me (such as texting while driving) there needs to be a regulation. I have seen several near misses because people start a sled and it takes off something tethers would resolve.

Some of you must ride in some really populated areas eh? :face-icon-small-ton

The beacon is an interesting idea if it is really that bright....

J

jensen

Feb 27, 2008
Casper, Wyoming
I just got off the phone with him and he is doing good. He told me how hot the nurses were that gave him his sponge bath. His outlook has been an inspiration to me. I have been I bed all day depressed and he has been shopping for crossbows for his elk hunt. He was on the phone today with clients. He is. Real estate agent and wants to be back in the office next week.

His arm was amputated just above the wrist. they will be replacing his arm muscles with other muscles from his body. They talk of prothetics that have robotic features. He is planning on riding next year and we are not to sell his sled. ... May all of us learn from this and be safe !!!!!!
My friends dad rides a turbo sled with his left arm only(machine shop accident). He has built custom throttle blocks for all of his sleds and he rides really good. I told them about this today. Not that your buddy needs help, but they own a machine shop and have went through this. They offered to build him what he needs to get going again. If he's interested get a hold of Skip at mail@backcountrymods.com or pm me. We will help in any way we can.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Stunning set of events. First off, I wish your friend strength to cary forward with the positive attitude & spirit you described. You can only have an effect on what comes ahead, the past has already happened.

There are a lot of 4-strokes around now, and they will run upside down, etc.. i for one will now be using the tether this season and beyond!

Best of luck with recovery and future!!!

MtnDoo

Premium Features