• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Lol, So you took his advice from today, went back in time to last week and asked Polaris dealers about the 850. That's a cool trick. Let's assume that this is true. Your post was full of vague comments- Which dealers, how many 850's they sold, and how many went down? Specific information would be helpful. Secondly, you went to multiple Polaris dealers last week to ask about the motor you've been knocking on this thread since it started. With your history of hating on here, I have serious doubts that you would/could have waited till now to post about them failing.

If indeed your post is true, we need more information, as it would be good for everyone to have.

Lmao.
It's been stated on here multiple times to go ask/talk to a dealer to find out what they say. I did that and you don't like what I was told. Imagine that!!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I know just last week I drove around visiting Dodge dealers in my Toyota truck asking how the new Rams are holding up. I'm not buying one, but just was curious in case someone I don't know bought one on an internet forum and I needed some firepower to stay in the discussion. I just had some extra time on my hands and that was the #1 thing I wanted to do. Might have to take some days off for further research if things get really serious in the thread. I just can't sleep at night if Dodge's problems aren't as widespread as I'd hoped; being a Toyota guy.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Ok, I talked to 3 more local dealers today. The first 2 I talked to are in the posts above.

Dealer # 3: talked to service dept. Approx. 60 850s sold. 2 engine failures and one tear down due to oil line popping off.

Dealer # 4: talked to service dept. 11 or 12 850s sold. No engine failures. He said they have one customer that has 1500 mountain miles on his and it’s running very strong.

Dealer # 5: small dealer- the service guy was on lunch so I was forced to talk to sales. 2 850s sold, no failures.

These dealers, along with the two I posted above, are all the dealers that are local to me. They are all within one hour of each other. If I have time, I am going to start calling dealers from further away.

I don’t take any of this as absolute truth. I am not personal friends with any of these dealers. I do, however, think there is some value to this info. It seems unlikely that they would all be collectively lying like a sidewalk. I tend to trust the service guys more than the sales people.

The other thing that has struck me is that they all seem genuinely surprised that there are stories of widespread failure. One service guy said “They just came out this year! How would anyone know if they’re reliable yet?” This was the dealer with 60 sleds and one failure. Again, they could all be well-practiced liars, but if so, they’re really good at it.

This is also Alberta, home of the people who get 500 mountain miles in a good year. Nobody seems to ride around home any more, even though we’re having an awesome snow year here in the flatlands. So take this for what it’s worth.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The only MASS FAILURE i have seen up to this point, is the CAT guys trolling this part of the forum, MASSIVELY FAILING to get and provide accurate information about this supposedly massive 850 engine failure . . . . humm, imagine that. :) Sounds like a massive miss-information problem eh?

Just spent yesterday in nice deep powder. This sled absolutely RIPS!! More impressed every time i ride it!!

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I took your advice and last week went to 2 Polaris dealers.
They didn't tell me what your trying to tell me. They've had lots of failures. More seized crank bearing than top ends and some guys are struggling with the engine bog and fouled plugs. They aren't to happy with the amount of warranty work they are doing on the 850 because it's costing them money.

Ohhhhh....ok. And when you woke up . . . . were you able to remember how much you had to drink the night before . . .??

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
First off, there is s HUGE difference between Big 1 inch and myself!!! I didn't get rid of him, HE got rid of HIMSELF . . .all by himself, by not practicing some self control! He will probably return (like a bad case of diarrhea) with another user name before long. He has been banned several times already, so you can see who the REAL problem child is. :)

The one engine failure is indeed what we have seen in this area. Call the dealers and ask them yourself, if you don't believe me. Or, you can just read the post from calamity howlers, trolls, other brand loyalists (seems to be mostly cat riders) to get your "accurate" information.

Either way . . .keep riding and have a great time out there. I sure am!!

He or shall I say we got a 7 day holiday from the big 1,he will be back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
The only MASS FAILURE i have seen up to this point, is the CAT guys trolling this part of the forum, MASSIVELY FAILING to get and provide accurate information about this supposedly massive 850 engine failure . . . . humm, imagine that. :) Sounds like a massive miss-information problem eh?

Just spent yesterday in nice deep powder. This sled absolutely RIPS!! More impressed every time i ride it!!

I’m a cat guy trolling the 850 forum because at the moment I don’t have a sled and am open to riding a Polaris.
I loved the M series and stuck with it till I sold it a few months ago.
I haven’t thought much of the Pro Climb but am seriously considering riding a Polaris,bigger is always better that’s why the 850 sounds good to me.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I’m a cat guy trolling the 850 forum because at the moment I don’t have a sled and am open to riding a Polaris.
I loved the M series and stuck with it till I sold it a few months ago.
I haven’t thought much of the Pro Climb but am seriously considering riding a Polaris,bigger is always better that’s why the 850 sounds good to me.
Thoughts for the day .... not putting an engineer's stamp or betting my house on this if I'm wrong....but just my thoughts/observations as a sledder with a little involvement in the industry....

From what I've gathered around western Canada, it is highly variable per dealer. Some have 0 failures, some have 1, and the odd one has multiples (we are in the latter category). Of the sleds we've sold (just 1 store), we are sitting at 15% failure, and that seems to be the high end, with hardly any others seeing that. The ones that failed did so early on, and now it's gone totally quiet and everyone's just riding them....kinda seems like that on here too....again I won't make that claim, but it "seems" like that. No one we know of has had a second failure on the same machine. On the sleds that foul plugs, we have replaced a couple sets of injectors that seemed to leak. No bogging issues. Do notice the map being a bit rich and burbly in the slow on/off throttle. More of a quirk than an issue.

And other than that....that's it. No electrical issues, no running issues, no structural issues, no clutch or belt issues, no performance issues, 2 BD turbos running strong. They are ripping...running good RPM more consistently than the 800's in a variety of snow, and owners are loving them. Performance wise, it delivers (IMO).

Some thoughts on overall failure rates stemming from that. Per capita .... the Canadians usually break a little more stuff than the mainland USA. And the mountain guys (on either side of the border) always break a bunch more stuff than the middle/east of the country guys with trail machines. So extrapolating the the failures I've heard of....believing a low percentage failure rate doesn't seem far fetched. Does that make it ideal? No. But so far it seems like some weren't quite right from the factory, but the majority are good. Best guess so far.

I ride in heli out zones(or severe effort of some other type) often, and I have not flinched to do so on board 850's.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I can't believe you guys!! Ask the dealer's about failure rate ??? If owned a dealership and was having a high failure rate on a new product my staff would not admit it to their wife's or they would be working for the other brand in short order.
where's the popcorn?:juggle:

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
I took your advice and last week went to 2 Polaris dealers.
They didn't tell me what your trying to tell me. They've had lots of failures. More seized crank bearing than top ends and some guys are struggling with the engine bog and fouled plugs. They aren't to happy with the amount of warranty work they are doing on the 850 because it's costing them money.

Which dealers? There are only three dealerships that could be considered north east Sask. The two closest to each other are one dealer an hour or more apart. Your concern for Polaris sleds must be deep if your driving around like that.
I suspect you are talking about the dealer with two stores. Its not too hard to check if they have had lots of failures and too much warranty work. I think your getting a little carried away.
The dealer I bought my 850 from...........0 failures.......... I told him to hire more techs as the failures should be flooding in anytime. It's an epidemic cuz I read it on the interweb from deeply concerned Cat riders!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Which dealers? There are only three dealerships that could be considered north east Sask. The two closest to each other are one dealer an hour or more apart. Your concern for Polaris sleds must be deep if your driving around like that.

I suspect you are talking about the dealer with two stores. Its not too hard to check if they have had lots of failures and too much warranty work. I think your getting a little carried away.

The dealer I bought my 850 from...........0 failures.......... I told him to hire more techs as the failures should be flooding in anytime. It's an epidemic cuz I read it on the interweb from deeply concerned Cat riders!

Lol I bet he has more bullchit to offer us still,these habituals don’t know when to stop their bullchit! Lol
I wonder if he will tell us which dealers he drove to.:)

a9d49b5db4b638e0e67ec8a4ce251915.jpg

Last edited:
D
Dec 2, 2012
Quahog
I bought my 850 from edfield motors and deal regularly with discovery and between the two dealers they sold 16 850 machines. I get to go in to the service area and the only 850 that's ever been back there has been mine for and ex valve relearn. Oh yeah the cat dealer in both towns has been terminated so I guess there is a reason for concern here.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Yes, keep pushing back. My buddy has talked to Polaris customer service, the service manager and the owner at the dealer and they promise to make it right with him. If they can't figure it out he will be getting new engine and electronics.

My buddy got his sled back from the dealer. They believe a Sensor was bad and effecting the fuel mapping. New sensor and reloaded mapping. I am hoping he is good now. He said with clutching to 8150 and when it is running well you better hold on. And when I say that we are currently at sea level so there is a lot more HP than up an 10,000 ft. I believe his clutch is loaded up from MDS at 82-83 grams now.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
No question, Dan is a little "rough around the edges", puts up some "less than professional" posts, and each time i read them, i am a little bit disappointed, but the dude DOES know his stuff. I highly doubt his predictions of the 850 mass engine failure will be 100% true. We have only seen ONE engine failure out of nearly 300 sleds, and a few oil line issues. Obviously I cant, nor can anyone, predict the future. So time will tell. I will go out on a limb and say that if Polaris built the engine the way Dan says they should be built, it would most likely be the "bullet proof" engine Polaris, and the rest of us, have been searching for :)

In the meantime . . ..happy riding!!

First off, there is s HUGE difference between Big 1 inch and myself!!! I didn't get rid of him, HE got rid of HIMSELF . . .all by himself, by not practicing some self control! He will probably return (like a bad case of diarrhea) with another user name before long. He has been banned several times already, so you can see who the REAL problem child is. :)

The one engine failure is indeed what we have seen in this area. Call the dealers and ask them yourself, if you don't believe me. Or, you can just read the post from calamity howlers, trolls, other brand loyalists (seems to be mostly cat riders) to get your "accurate" information.

Either way . . .keep riding and have a great time out there. I sure am!!

I'm having a great time up in the hills as usual. But yet once again you just cant help yourself. I guess if you say it enough you begin to believe it.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I know just last week I drove around visiting Dodge dealers in my Toyota truck asking how the new Rams are holding up. I'm not buying one, but just was curious in case someone I don't know bought one on an internet forum and I needed some firepower to stay in the discussion. I just had some extra time on my hands and that was the #1 thing I wanted to do. Might have to take some days off for further research if things get really serious in the thread. I just can't sleep at night if Dodge's problems aren't as widespread as I'd hoped; being a Toyota guy.

I picked up on the sarcasm and fully agree however, it's time for an intervention with you to discuss your life choices of driving a Toyota truck.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
WOW!! 58 pages, hours to read through this, thought I better post just so you guys could see my years on here and post count. Some of you guys should read more and post less. LOL

You forgot to mention how much booze was involved with your reading of this thread.....LMAO

First off, there is s HUGE difference between Big 1 inch and myself!!! I didn't get rid of him, HE got rid of HIMSELF . . .all by himself, by not practicing some self control! He will probably return with another user name before long. He has been banned several times already, so you can see who the REAL problem child is. :)

Fixed it for you

Last edited by a moderator:
Premium Features