• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

N
Dec 18, 2007
I don’t believe Dan is needing to drum up any busines. Most 850 owners will just keep dropping sled off at dealer using the 4 year warranty. Dan has nothing to gain here. Did you ever think maybe he’s just offering a little insight as to the 850’s issues? I love hearing his ideas. Some here act like Dan is anti-Polaris, he must not be because that’s what he rides. Why does everyone get so butt hurt and offended when he states facts that he has seen first hand?
I don’t get why some here refuse to believe there aren’t any issues with this new motor. This whole deal didn’t just start with a couple anti Polaris trolls. I know parts guys and service people at two different Polaris dealers, and unless they are full of sh!t then there are definitely problems.
I don’t get the, to the death, Polaris brand loyalty by some. Too bad poo isn’t as loyal back.

You don't think he is trying to get business from this? Is that why he has a video post on how he can fix the bearing and honing issue on Facebook?

Would a locator ring on the bearing be better? Absolutely. Will Polaris add it next year? Probably. Will they recall all the 2019 sled to add one? Probably not. JMO

I am the least brand loyal sledder you will ever meet. But, I haven't seen many "facts" from Dan at all, just his opinion. I never said there wasn't a problem. In fact, I stated that there does seem to be an assembly issue on some engines where the bearing was not located correctly. I also stated that Dan was very knowledgeable. What I am saying is Dan is blowing it way out of proportion in a VERY unprofessional manner. He acts like a 12 year old girl that just got an iPhone for Christmas.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
You don't think he is trying to get business from this? Is that why he has a video post on how he can fix the bearing and honing issue on Facebook?

Would a locator ring on the bearing be better? Absolutely. Will Polaris add it next year? Probably. Will they recall all the 2019 sled to add one? Probably not. JMO

I am the least brand loyal sledder you will ever meet. But, I haven't seen many "facts" from Dan at all, just his opinion. I never said there wasn't a problem. In fact, I stated that there does seem to be an assembly issue on some engines where the bearing was not located correctly. I also stated that Dan was very knowledgeable. What I am saying is Dan is blowing it way out of proportion in a VERY unprofessional manner. He acts like a 12 year old girl that just got an iPhone for Christmas.

No question, Dan is a little "rough around the edges", puts up some "less than professional" posts, and each time i read them, i am a little bit disappointed, but the dude DOES know his stuff. I highly doubt his predictions of the 850 mass engine failure will be 100% true. We have only seen ONE engine failure out of nearly 300 sleds, and a few oil line issues. Obviously I cant, nor can anyone, predict the future. So time will tell. I will go out on a limb and say that if Polaris built the engine the way Dan says they should be built, it would most likely be the "bullet proof" engine Polaris, and the rest of us, have been searching for :)

In the meantime . . ..happy riding!!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
It's been snowing just about every where miles must be racking up on these 850 s been awhile since some one has posted about a failure. I'm busy with work until 1 March so mine is sitting.

N
Aug 26, 2018
Its too bad you start at topic and it becomes what one thinks is going to happen instead of what is really happening. Which we may never know. A lot of keyboard engineers or guessers, I am not sure.

I have buddies that love their 850's and one of my good friends had his top end replaced. The weird thing none of the ones that didn't go down are giving any issues what so ever. The one with the top end that went down acts like it is fouling a plug constantly. He is dropping back off at dealer today. He wants the sled replaced. They may replace everything but the chassis. They said they would get it right.

My top end has not failed but it so acts as though its fouling a plug constantly. 33hrs and 700 miles on my 850. Ive been in contact with my dealer who has talked to Polaris.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
No question, Dan is a little "rough around the edges", puts up some "less than professional" posts, and each time i read them, i am a little bit disappointed, but the dude DOES know his stuff. I highly doubt his predictions of the 850 mass engine failure will be 100% true. We have only seen ONE engine failure out of nearly 300 sleds, and a few oil line issues. Obviously I cant, nor can anyone, predict the future. So time will tell. I will go out on a limb and say that if Polaris built the engine the way Dan says they should be built, it would most likely be the "bullet proof" engine Polaris, and the rest of us, have been searching for :)

How many times do you have to repeat about the 1 engine failure? You managed to get rid of big10 for constantly repeating himself. I pretty sure you have made it clear about the 1 engine in your area. Double standards here? :face-icon-small-blu Take you own clue Timbre.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Originally Posted by Timbre View Post
No question, Dan is a little "rough around the edges", puts up some "less than professional" posts, and each time i read them, i am a little bit disappointed, but the dude DOES know his stuff. I highly doubt his predictions of the 850 mass engine failure will be 100% true. We have only seen ONE engine failure out of nearly 300 sleds, and a few oil line issues. Obviously I cant, nor can anyone, predict the future. So time will tell. I will go out on a limb and say that if Polaris built the engine the way Dan says they should be built, it would most likely be the "bullet proof" engine Polaris, and the rest of us, have been searching for

How many times do you have to repeat about the 1 engine failure? You managed to get rid of big10 for constantly repeating himself. I pretty sure you have made it clear about the 1 engine in your area. Double standards here? :face-icon-small-blu Take you own clue Timbre.

Bigten got rid of himself for being a "jackassalope" . Timbre has repeated that claim about 1 failure a couple of times, I doubt it a little as well, given the prominence of the issues we are hearing about. But I haven't heard of, or seen one instance, personally, of an 850 going down. So maybe in his area, its gospel. But you sure picked apart his thread for a reason to argue there:juggle:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
My top end has not failed but it so acts as though its fouling a plug constantly. 33hrs and 700 miles on my 850. Ive been in contact with my dealer who has talked to Polaris.

Yes, keep pushing back. My buddy has talked to Polaris customer service, the service manager and the owner at the dealer and they promise to make it right with him. If they can't figure it out he will be getting new engine and electronics.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Go to Big 10's user page and search all his posts. Just start scrolling through.

He has nothing good to say about anything. Its not just about polaris, its everything related to sledding. The guy is never wrong about anything, and is always talking down to people.

He is probably an "undercover tree-hugger".

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Just talked to the parts desk at the local stealer. They said the dealer sold around 50 850s. They’ve had 2 come back- one with a bad wiring harness, and one with a busted motor. This was the parts dept and not a slick salesman talking. So it seems that their engine failure rate is 2%. Had a few friends lose engines in their ski doo 850s in the last year. My patriot 850 is running good- 20 hrs and 300 mi.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Anybody ever wonder how many new sled owner pay zero attention to the forums? Doo, Poo, Cat, across the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ride/ have ridden with quite a few people none are on here that I know of. With the exception of ones met through the site. Look at number of sleds registered in states and I believe it’s a pretty small fraction of that are members here.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I stopped in at another local dealer in my travels later today. First I talked to a sales guy. He said they sold 65-70 850s with no failures. I wanted to talk to somebody else besides sales, though, so I talked to the service department. This guy said that they sold around 55 850s, with one engine failure due to the PTO crank bearing walking over. It happened with only a few miles on the sled.

I guess there could be a conspiracy within the dealership to keep the news of failures from getting out, but it seems a little far fetched. So from the two dealers I talked to today, the engine failure rate is around 2%. That’s still higher than what we would like, but it’s not horrible yet.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

First off, there is s HUGE difference between Big 1 inch and myself!!! I didn't get rid of him, HE got rid of HIMSELF . . .all by himself, by not practicing some self control! He will probably return (like a bad case of diarrhea) with another user name before long. He has been banned several times already, so you can see who the REAL problem child is. :)

The one engine failure is indeed what we have seen in this area. Call the dealers and ask them yourself, if you don't believe me. Or, you can just read the post from calamity howlers, trolls, other brand loyalists (seems to be mostly cat riders) to get your "accurate" information.

Either way . . .keep riding and have a great time out there. I sure am!!

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Dealers

I took your advice and last week went to 2 Polaris dealers.
They didn't tell me what your trying to tell me. They've had lots of failures. More seized crank bearing than top ends and some guys are struggling with the engine bog and fouled plugs. They aren't to happy with the amount of warranty work they are doing on the 850 because it's costing them money.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Out of every person I know who rides up here, I only know of myself and 1 other that is actively on this site. Not excluding other manufacturer riders. But for the 850 specific guys, none of them have had a failure so none of them are on this site looking for answers.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
I took your advice and last week went to 2 Polaris dealers.
They didn't tell me what your trying to tell me. They've had lots of failures. More seized crank bearing than top ends and some guys are struggling with the engine bog and fouled plugs. They aren't to happy with the amount of warranty work they are doing on the 850 because it's costing them money.

Lol, So you took his advice from today, went back in time to last week and asked Polaris dealers about the 850. That's a cool trick. Let's assume that this is true. Your post was full of vague comments- Which dealers, how many 850's they sold, and how many went down? Specific information would be helpful. Secondly, you went to multiple Polaris dealers last week to ask about the motor you've been knocking on this thread since it started. With your history of hating on here, I have serious doubts that you would/could have waited till now to post about them failing.

If indeed your post is true, we need more information, as it would be good for everyone to have.

Premium Features