• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Blew the center crank bearing in my axys 850 at 260kms. Local dealer had it for almost 3 weeks but just got it back. Replaced the crank, case, pistons, rods, etc.. everything but the heads which were honed out. Think it would have been cheaper for Polaris to just put a complete new engine in

Thought I should add to the forum as this is documented

Commodore - Just a quick question and completely off subject . . . but did you really join this site in 2012, and just now make your first post?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I’m with you on calling BS on 1%.

As I stated in a post about 300 pages ago I really feel for the guys who are having any serious issues. I haven’t owned a Poo since 2014 but I think it’s weird how some guys actually enjoy it when there’s some issue with a brand they don’t ride. What the hell is that all about????

As i have said in many posts, the ones "calling BS" on this are those who ride other brands, are trolls, or have something to gain by offering a "fix" for the perceived issue. Until we have a season or 2 with this sled and documented failures, we will never have accurate information.

It is called "schadenfreude". Here is the definition.
"Schadenfreude is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another. It is one of four related emotions or concepts.

Schadenfreude is a complex emotion, where rather than feeling sympathy towards someone's misfortune, schadenfreude evokes joyful feelings that take pleasure from watching someone fail. This emotion is displayed more in children than adults, however adults also experience schadenfreude, they are just better at concealing their expressions."

Well . . . isnt that the truth!!!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My question to those who are negative about the 850 Patriot.

If this motor only ends up at 1% failure rate this season and Polaris then goes on a mission to fix those problems for 2020 would you then be interested in owning one?

Or in other words if all your worries about reliability and dealer support were put aside would you then be owning one?

If you say no then you are just a troll and don't belong here. If you say yes or maybe then you actually see the potential of this motor/chassis combo. Then we want to hear what you have to say because this thing is so much fun to ride it's stupid.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011

If this motor only ends up at 1% failure rate this season and Polaris then goes on a mission to fix those problems for 2020 would you then be interested in owning one?

Or in other words if all your worries about reliability and dealer support were put aside would you then be owning one?

If you say no then you are just a troll and don't belong here. If you say yes or maybe then you actually see the potential of this motor/chassis combo. Then we want to hear what you have to say because this thing is so much fun to ride it's stupid.

I’m not brand loyal to a fault. I usually ride a sled 2-3 years then trade in. When I buy I buy what I think is the “best” for me. Which is mainly coastal snow and I always buy a sled that I think is going to be the best on the best day. The 2’ to 3’ plus days.
So yes I’d buy an 850 if they were the best. I don’t agree with your logic tho. Well it’s not logic just an opinion that way over simplifies the guys posting on this thread.

S
Apr 27, 2008
Can I beat that?.....

On a serious note, Im looking at getting back to sledding again.
In Europe, the 850 is a regular dealer stocked sled. (not just a snow check)

A low post count with a long time on the forum, might indicate that a guy know when to shut up and learn.....

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Look at the poll on SW forum and it shows some actual numbers at about 10% failure so far and I think that might just be accurate or near so! these numbers kind of match the numbers I have seen in the Rockies, Mountain Riding!
gtwitch in wyoming

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO

Great post TethAir, really got me thinking and honestly I would have to say yes, I would be interested in owning one. But only if PI did really go on a mission and fix the issues. I’ll probably be buying a pro next year or two anyway, but a 600
for my son. Love the 600 RMK and I’m tired of straining my 53 year old back by digging out the boys Phazer 4 stroke whenever it is even slightly deep day.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Look at the poll on SW forum and it shows some actual numbers at about 10% failure so far and I think that might just be accurate or near so! these numbers kind of match the numbers I have seen in the Rockies, Mountain Riding!
gtwitch in wyoming

Really? You don't think that most guys that lost motors would have more to say than those who are out riding and could care less about that poll? The poll should be reworded.

"For those who are unfortunate enough to be stuck home with a blown motor or some kind of personal commitment, please vote."

Turns out 10% of the people not sledding it's because their motor failed and 90% are stuck at work or looking after family etc.

S
Apr 27, 2008
As I can understand;

IL buy a Polaris 850 and face a 10% risk of crank fail, cylinder plating fail, or loss of compression.

IL buy a Doo 850 and risk none of the above.

It this a correct analysis of this thread?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
As I can understand;

IL buy a Polaris 850 and face a 10% risk of crank fail, cylinder plating fail, or loss of compression.

Haven't seen the latest poll on Doo motor failures but I'm sure it isn't 0%.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place

As an intent reader of this thread, I will definitely be interested in an 850 IF PI fixes the issues pointed out in this thread. Following closely and I'm happy to see that Dan sees many positives in this sled. My interpretation would be that there is a rather large failure rate because of a couple easily fixed issues. I would bet there is an update to 2020. I'll be upgrading my 2016 in 2021 or 2022 after the release of the next chassis....which I am assuming to contain the 850 motor.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007

seen your name pop up a lot in the cat section about a year ago :face-icon-small-win

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
As I can understand;

Well I am glad Doo finally got their clutching bugs worked out after 3 years. Or have they? They have made the belts last longer but they are not efficient yet. Ski-doo clutches still get way too hot so the power is not getting to the ground. Ski-Doo has applied band-aid fixes with ultra low gearing and venting but I don't believe they are addressing the route problems. I bet it won't take Polaris long to solve their teething issues this time around as I believe the design is good, it's just assembly problems. Looking back at the past Polaris motor problems they just had a bad design and band-aid fixes only could go so far.

D
Dec 2, 2012
Quahog
I don't know how polaris does it but you really do have to give them credit.
They have marketing figured out like no one else. And they know what people really want for the most part. Performance and lite weight and quality of the product seems to be least important of all the three. What really gets to people other than claiming this is Schadenfreude is that cat and Yamaha have to struggle with low market share where they deserve more for building engines that last much longer. No one can ever deny that.
To sum it up they need to be accountable for a change. We all want that not just "the trolls".

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The brand loyalty of some guys is pretty apparent. Comparing the Doo belt issues to the 850 list of problems is not a fair comparison to say it nicely. I know ONE person who had a belt blower Doo in my area and one other guy who had crappy belt life that was really unacceptable. The belts run hot for sure but it doesn’t seem to effect how the 850 Doo gets around. Just the bog problem and plug fouling are more serious than that. Add in the crank bearing seizures(fatal), blown oil lines(soon to be fatal) and the pistons seizing(fatal) and some people shouldn’t even mention the Doo in the same post lol.

Premium Features