• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

N
Aug 26, 2018
If this is accurate, it's a true bombshell. I've been a little skeptical as to whether the cylinder finish is truly that big an issue, and whether most motors are as rough as the pictures Dan showed early in this thread. That motor definitely didn't look right, but at this point I think it's too early to say it's disastrously bad. If there is such a recall though, then yes, Huston, we've had a problem. Of course, it aint happened until it's happened. Will be interested to see if this pans out.

I couldnt agree more.. the 2 guys I was riding with over the weekend said as soon as I started talking about the hesitstion and bog I was having they looked at eschother and thought " oh boy, the dealer just told us about this.." they didnt tell me about what they heard until I was talking about my issue because they said they didnt want to get me worked up over something if it was nothing. Also, once they informed me of what they were told, combined with my sled acting up, I decided to start doing some research. I then came on here and see many others having the same issues with bogging and hesitation.

I called my own dealer here in NY and hes digging into it to see what he can find. He had no idea that my 850 fuel pump may be a recall as well. Hes just as frustrated as I am with the lack of communication on that issue. On the positive side, Im hoping i have a faulty or recalled fuel pump and that clears my issue. Has everyone else seen that the fuel pump was recalled from a few 2019 models? I came acrossed that post as well yesterday on snowest.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I couldnt agree more.. the 2 guys I was riding with over the weekend said as soon as I started talking about the hesitstion and bog I was having they looked at eschother and thought " oh boy, the dealer just told us about this.." they didnt tell me about what they heard until I was talking about my issue because they said they didnt want to get me worked up over something if it was nothing. Also, once they informed me of what they were told, combined with my sled acting up, I decided to start doing some research. I then came on here and see many others having the same issues with bogging and hesitation.

I called my own dealer here in NY and hes digging into it to see what he can find. He had no idea that my 850 fuel pump may be a recall as well. Hes just as frustrated as I am with the lack of communication on that issue. On the positive side, Im hoping i have a faulty or recalled fuel pump and that clears my issue. Has everyone else seen that the fuel pump was recalled from a few 2019 models? I came acrossed that post as well yesterday on snowest.

I believe the fuel pump was only recalled because of faulty fittings that could have caused a leak. I doubt it would have anything to do with a bog issue.

Fast Rider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
ill do ya one better, I enjoyed riding dragons more than Ms back in the day, just thought they were more fun in the trees. rode better. but I never bought one, and probably still wouldnt buy a Polaris twin over 600cc. those 6s are reliable fun lil rippers!

You know...I’ve been wondering about this since the days of the dragon motor issues and subsequently every year since, due to Polaris’s consistency in 800 motor problems. I think most would agree that the Polaris 600 (VES, HO, CFI) is probably one of the most reliable motors around. Why not build an 800cc motor exactly the same as the 600, but has all components proportionately larger? At the claimed 125hp of the 6, that puts an 800 at 166hp and an 850 at 177hp. I can’t say for sure but that seems like damn close to industry leading numbers.

Thoughts Dan?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think the small block 800 is based off the 600. Or very close, i could also be very wrong.
They could make an engine like cat and doo but that means 20 extra lbs up front.
Doesn't sound as cool when it takes an extra 20lbs like the other guys...

What would everyone say if they made such a motor but told u it added 20lbs?

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I think the small block 800 is based off the 600. Or very close, i could also be very wrong.
They could make an engine like cat and doo but that means 20 extra lbs up front.
Doesn't sound as cool when it takes an extra 20lbs like the other guys...

What would everyone say if they made such a motor but told u it added 20lbs?

I do know that sleds that don’t run aren’t very flickable and don’t offer much “lift”.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
You know...I’ve been wondering about this since the days of the dragon motor issues and subsequently every year since, due to Polaris’s consistency in 800 motor problems. I think most would agree that the Polaris 600 (VES, HO, CFI) is probably one of the most reliable motors around. Why not build an 800cc motor exactly the same as the 600, but has all components proportionately larger? At the claimed 125hp of the 6, that puts an 800 at 166hp and an 850 at 177hp. I can’t say for sure but that seems like damn close to industry leading numbers.

Thoughts Dan?

Summ8rmk is correct..... The 800 is base off the 700....just like the 700 was Based off the 600.... Just like the 600 was based off the 500 ...just like the 500 was based off the 440.

All of the are the exact same 5.040" between centers..... And all gave basicly the same crank other then went from 64mm stroke to 68mm them 70mm stroke

Then increasing bore as well..... Polaris big bored the 440 ( bored & stroked this motor 4 times )

That's the reason I never went to 850 with it.... I believed it was spent at 800cc

Dan

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Dan, I thought the 850 had a wider spacing between cyl/cyl/ Whether they took up the OAL on the mag side to make up for it! So what does this lead us to believe in the future for these engines? Just a glorified small block on steroids, or a true Midland (351 Ford) size that can handle the toque output from bearing to bearing? I know you said you liked this engine, but having doubts do to the fact it is based off a (440) ctr. spread originally, or increased bearing width/dia and ctr. spread? Thanks Mike

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Dan, I thought the 850 had a wider spacing between cyl/cyl/ Whether they took up the OAL on the mag side to make up for it! So what does this lead us to believe in the future for these engines? Just a glorified small block on steroids, or a true Midland (351 Ford) size that can handle the toque output from bearing to bearing? I know you said you liked this engine, but having doubts do to the fact it is based off a (440) ctr. spread originally, or increased bearing width/dia and ctr. spread? Thanks Mike

The 850 does have wider spacing.....

I was comparing the 800..... To be bore from the 440 with 5.040 center to center.

The 850 is wider..... To took the room from the MAG cylinder and widen the center,

The 850 is a beast of a motor...... It's got monster bearings all the way across.

850 - All 80mm O.D.

The 755/866 - fusion motors were 80mm PTO only and 72mm centers and MAG

THE SMALL BLOCK ALL 72mm

I am going to make a statement that is a ( GUESS ) if my memory serves me correctly I think the 850 is from center 2.6167 x 2 = 5.2334 center to center

So in tape measure talk shy of a 1/4 inch....... LOL !! About .200 thousands

If I power up my Mill to today before I head out of town I will varify to make sure.

Dan

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Heard yesterday that Polaris is claiming 1% failure rate so far on the 850. If that is true it is not terrible but it is relatively early due to low snow year. They said some engines did not get oil added to the inner PTO bearing during installation and by the time oil makes it to that bearing the damage is already done. Bearings are seizing and spinning in the cases.

Not sure how much of this is true or not?

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
polaris can tell you what ever they want and you have no choice but to believe, remember 5years in the making with tens of thousands of miles is what they said. If that was the case then mapping would be correct and not one plug would foul

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
polaris can tell you what ever they want and you have no choice but to believe, remember 5years in the making with tens of thousands of miles is what they said. If that was the case then mapping would be correct and not one plug would foul

I'm sure they did trail ride these sleds at 2000' for 5 years. Also was at the dealer yesterday and he handed me a set of hand guards as Polaris did not have them available when I took delivery of my sled. If Polaris rode these in the mountains they would know that hand guards only belong on trail sleds and a tether would be better money spent. The obvious seems to escape them but little obscure details have been well looked after.

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
If 10k units sold, I'm not yet buying failure rate of 1% (100). Not many people have over 20 hours. But, as we all know, remains to be seen.

If I'm being super cynical, I also question motive of the Polaris survey that went out recently. My concern is that they are trying to lock people into an admission that "sled is great!!!" if something happens to them down the road. Worst case example - say you submit a very positive review and comments at 500 miles. Engine fails at 1000 and you submit a warranty claim. Polaris then turns around and says that sled was operating great at 500 - you said so yourself, you must've misused it since so warranty is denied. I know this is extreme and hypothetical, but I was not impressed with PI in 2018 when they initially refused to warranty my 15 Pro at all (2200 miles, 103 PSI, PI claimed that there was no failure and I was using an aftermarket can), and only agreed to cover parts for top end after my dealer pushed back.

OTOH, seems like warranty dept. has been working well with 850 owners so far.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Dealers in this area snowchecked around 300 of these sleds and have had one engine failure and a few oil line issues. That is over 99% success rate. . .not bad at all! I totally agree it would suck to be one of the 1% having issues though.

Of course some will not agree with this but that is what we are seeing in this area. NOT what you will find on "duh innernet" where other brand riders, trolls and calamity howler spew their hatred for Polaris.

I am going to ride mine and enjoy every minute! This sled RIPS!!!

C
Oct 14, 2012
Vancouver BC
Blown engine

Blew the center crank bearing in my axys 850 at 260kms. Local dealer had it for almost 3 weeks but just got it back. Replaced the crank, case, pistons, rods, etc.. everything but the heads which were honed out. Think it would have been cheaper for Polaris to just put a complete new engine in

Thought I should add to the forum as this is documented

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
If 10k units sold, I'm not yet buying failure rate of 1% (100). Not many people have over 20 hours. But, as we all know, remains to be seen.

If I'm being super cynical, I also question motive of the Polaris survey that went out recently. My concern is that they are trying to lock people into an admission that "sled is great!!!" if something happens to them down the road. Worst case example - say you submit a very positive review and comments at 500 miles. Engine fails at 1000 and you submit a warranty claim. Polaris then turns around and says that sled was operating great at 500 - you said so yourself, you must've misused it since so warranty is denied. I know this is extreme and hypothetical, but I was not impressed with PI in 2018 when they initially refused to warranty my 15 Pro at all (2200 miles, 103 PSI, PI claimed that there was no failure and I was using an aftermarket can), and only agreed to cover parts for top end after my dealer pushed back.

OTOH, seems like warranty dept. has been working well with 850 owners so far.

I’m with you on calling BS on 1%. Also Polaris does have a terrible record of denying claims for crap reasons. They used that can excuse a lot, and it’s just bull crap. They HAVE to take care of 850 owners in the first few months of ownership. That’s one thing they can’t weasel out of, they don’t get a gold star from me for doing the right thing.
As I stated in a post about 300 pages ago I really feel for the guys who are having any serious issues. I haven’t owned a Poo since 2014 but I think it’s weird how some guys actually enjoy it when there’s some issue with a brand they don’t ride. What the hell is that all about????
My buddy rode an 850 Poo in McCall a couple weeks ago. 155 2.6 and he said it got around better than his Doo 154 Turbo( I know, that was a hard thing for me not to call bull on too) AND his friends 175 3” 850 Doo. Both of these guys are hard core Doo riders. Btw I have an Alpha and a 175 G4 for what it’s worth.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
I’m with you on calling BS on 1%. Also Polaris does have a terrible record of denying claims for crap reasons. They used that can excuse a lot, and it’s just bull crap. They HAVE to take care of 850 owners in the first few months of ownership. That’s one thing they can’t weasel out of, they don’t get a gold star from me for doing the right thing.
As I stated in a post about 300 pages ago I really feel for the guys who are having any serious issues. I haven’t owned a Poo since 2014 but I think it’s weird how some guys actually enjoy it when there’s some issue with a brand they don’t ride. What the hell is that all about????
My buddy rode an 850 Poo in McCall a couple weeks ago. 155 2.6 and he said it got around better than his Doo 154 Turbo( I know, that was a hard thing for me not to call bull on too) AND his friends 175 3” 850 Doo. Both of these guys are hard core Doo riders. Btw I have an Alpha and a 175 G4 for what it’s worth.

Which one do you like the best ?

Premium Features