• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

U
Jan 23, 2019
Is the 1 or 2% over the life of the warranty? first year?

Good question... guessing I’d say life of, clearly it’s too early to know IF it’s life of!

Will be interesting to follow for sure

Would not be surprising IF it is somewhat typical for higher initial percentages and then they fall into the “normal” range after the first year or two

I’m looking at hopefully a 18/19 800 RMK leftover deal

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
The true tale will be told in the warranty numbers.

1%?
2%?

Warranty insurers typically base their policies on a set number of expected claims. Is the 850 going over the projections?

There are always going to be a small percentage.

Boat motors are based on about 2%

As a newb... What is typical for a sled?

Find these numbers and it ends the speculation.

Far from scientific but on the 850 down poll it's about 12% right now. I'd take that with a grain of salt but there is definitely an issue to be dealt with

U
Jan 23, 2019
Far from scientific but on the 850 down poll it's about 12% right now. I'd take that with a grain of salt but there is definitely an issue to be dealt with

I have ZERO dog in this fight, but remember “the squeaky wheel gets oiled” scenario. It is commonplace to hear people complain about a problem, but you seldom hear about when everything is well.

12% failure would be a very bad situation if true for Polaris, likely to the point that they would stop production if true.

Does anyone truly believe the 12% problem rate?

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Didn’t they already stop production? The 850 was snow check only.

It’s funny the similarities between this thread and the first year ski doo 850 belt eater thread. Several years and updates later the belt durability is pretty good but lots of people denied along the way that there was any problem.

There’s probably not a more respected Polaris engine guru in the world than Indy Dan and he’s layed it all out in this thread several times. His business is based on Polaris engines. So we have a true expert here and people don’t want to believe him. I just don’t understand.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Didn’t they already stop production? The 850 was snow check only.

It’s funny the similarities between this thread and the first year ski doo 850 belt eater thread. Several years and updates later the belt durability is pretty good but lots of people denied along the way that there was any problem.

There’s probably not a more respected Polaris engine guru in the world than Indy Dan and he’s layed it all out in this thread several times. His business is based on Polaris engines. So we have a true expert here and people don’t want to believe him. I just don’t understand.
doo came out with fixes for 3 years for the clutch issues, let's see poo's reaction in 2020

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Dan is the biggest Polaris hater here. There is nothing out of the ordinary along the line of failures on the new 850 over any other sled. Every one I ride with rips with no issues. Anyone want to go for a ride and quit the hatin'?

You are spot on correct if you would have said .... ( Polaris cooperate ).

Not the machines themselves.

Polaris has given me great reasons to hate them as a corporation.

Polaris has forever had an under ground working against the dealers, and all other Polaris shops ( not involved in the cult )

Jim headland spent the better part of his life driving around from shop to shop ( those in the cult ) with a trunk full of engine parts supplying his groupies with engine parts at prices 1/2 of dealer cost.

Back in the day..... When PRO5 Racing was the place to call for Polaris stuff.

They had cylinders, crankshafts, crankcase, Pistons for 1/2 price.

Then when the Bert Bassett couldn't be found anywhere other then the VFW things went a little south.

Then the hot spot became Hanson Racing engines ( there were many many others ) but these were the key places.

I was a small shop trying to complete with these guys...... They were selling rebuilt crankshafts for under what I could buy the parts for accross the counter at my dealer when I was getting 20% off.

This went on at Cat also........ ( remember BLACK MAGIC MOTORSPORTS ) and then CAT SAVAGE !! LAND OF THE BACK DOOR RIP OFF SCAMMERS !! EMPLOYEES SELLING PARTS UNDER THE TABLE !

When fall came around and deer hunting season was close see cult member shops knows Jim Hedlund was coming with a truck load of goodies.

They would have their pockets full of cash ready tomorrow him.

This is the GOOD OLD BOY Polaris days of the past.

It would set up these shops for a profit margins and a head start that very few were aware of.

How do I know this you might ask ........ I have been told by guys that were either kicked out of the cult or retired from the cult.

And Mark my words this post will enrage many of the players and many at Polaris that were involved.

When a connecting rod costs me $400 bucks across the counter for 900 Polaris fusion and Hason racing engines was selling them For $125 thru their shop full retail...... It's kind of hard to complete with them.

I could bring up many more stories like this.

It's funny many of ease cult shops spun themselves right into the ground.

There are very few left.

So here's the deal Mr DEVILMANAK know it all man.

I don't think you really know anything about what I like or don't like.

Dan

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Dan is the biggest Polaris hater here. There is nothing out of the ordinary along the line of failures on the new 850 over any other sled. Every one I ride with rips with no issues. Anyone want to go for a ride and quit the hatin'?

Sometimes there isn't an issue until there is an issue. They are awesome. I rode another friends in deep powder. Big fun.
I used to have an 07 xrs. It was awesome until it blew up and most did. There wasn't a problem until there was a problem. Hope they aren't like that.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
There were a lot more sleds sold then and reliability was dismal compared to today. My riding group was just talking about this when we would head west. Parts normally stocked for a trip was a top end several trailing arms, spare clutch parts for a whole rebuild or a spare clutch. We didn't have a enclosed trailer so staying somewhere that had a garage to work in determined where we stayed. I have taken skies and handlebars of to get a sled in a motel room to put a top end on. Now we have enclosed trailers. I'm not bringing my full shop anymore don't need to. These sleds today are far more reliable than mod sleds of just 5 years ago. To Dan with the competition getting less your new business should thrive if what you say is true good luck.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Sometimes there isn't an issue until there is an issue. They are awesome. I rode another friends in deep powder. Big fun.
I used to have an 07 xrs. It was awesome until it blew up and most did. There wasn't a problem until there was a problem. Hope they aren't like that.

Ya but the first 07 motor was wicked, second was not and well the third was just a turd.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I only went through 1. Mine was awesome. Knew guys that went through 3. A bunch of friends lost theirs at 1000 miles. I was so mad when my buddies went down and it was a 4 foot dump in the big horns. Pulled him into Burgess junction and had a burger and I think it was about a 20 mile pull across with my xrs.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
What was the failure rate of the AXYS mtn 800's?

I know early Pro Chassis pioneered the term "fix it kit" but in my experience the 800 HO motor was all but bullet proof. It was incredibly rare for me to see any that went down without tons of miles on them.

Actually MTNTK (PMS Polaris) pioneered the term "fix kit" during the early part of the 2010-2011 season for the CFI-4 Dragon/IQ motor. The Pro CFI-2 was in it's first year and was too new to yet show the piston/cylinder skirt annihilation.

Then the copy cat companies and the snake oil salesman came out of the woodwork when they saw how something so simple was and copied such a great fix with low quality junk.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I only went through 1. Mine was awesome. Knew guys that went through 3. A bunch of friends lost theirs at 1000 miles. I was so mad when my buddies went down and it was a 4 foot dump in the big horns. Pulled him into Burgess junction and had a burger and I think it was about a 20 mile pull across with my xrs.
Ha 07 Rev....yup that was a good one when it ran. 1st motor was ok (500 miles), 2nd motor was a dog (500 more miles), 3rd motor really ripped and lasted indefinitely. Don't think I ever made it 4 honest rides in a row without being towed out....motors, chaincase, ECM, main fuse, TPS, blah, blah blah. The rides it didn't break down....I was stoked it was running and usually ran it out of gas and got towed out anyways. Got good at drinking beers while being towed. When it ran...it was much more fun to ride than the 08 XP I later bought (and quickly sold)

Dealer was great about it, and Doo was ok for the most part...didn't really give me a bad taste per say, it was just a bit painful

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Ha 07 Rev....yup that was a good one when it ran. 1st motor was ok (500 miles), 2nd motor was a dog (500 more miles), 3rd motor really ripped and lasted indefinitely. Never made it 4 rides in a row without being towed out....motors, chaincase, ECM, main fuse, TPS. The rides it didn't break down....I was stoked it was running and usually ran it out of gas and got towed out anyways. Got good at drinking beers while being towed

I often questioned why one motor on that sled could be so good and the next just terrible.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Indy Specialty Billet 850 Long Rods

Indy Specialty 850 Long Rod.JPG850 billet connecting rod 02.JPG850 billet connecting rod 01.JPGSuch as these Made in the USA 850 connecting rods.[/ATTACH]

This is just the beginning, in the future we will most likely build all the crankshaft parts and offer a complete crankshaft
or seperate pieces.

These rods are going into our New Warthog Turbo test motors they will be back from heating treating shortly and then get final machined and honed to size.

there will be 7 test motors on the snow early next month in some high Mile test rider sleds.

Dan

Attachments

• 850 billet connecting rod 03.JPG
    850 billet connecting rod 03.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
S
Apr 27, 2008
Coming from the Harley world.
Im curious how are the OEMs in our business protecting themselves from copying?

If anyone thought of copying anything Harley, "the will be behind bars".

Dont get me wrong, Im on your side Dan.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Coming from the Harley world.
Im curious how are the OEMs in our business protecting themselves from copying?

If anyone thought of copying anything Harley, "the will be behind bars".

Dont get me wrong, Im on your side Dan.

Not offened at all.

As for copying.........I have been building Billet Rods for the 800 Ski Doo XM for 4 years for some guys in Canada.

There is nothing about my Billet Ski doo rods that are a copy...mind are bigger and stronger and we have never had one break......where as the OE rods tend to break on some of the turbo sleds with high boost.... where as mine don't break..big difference.

As for these 850 rods..... they are even less simlar then the doo rods.

They are much longer and made from much better material.....there are machined billet rods ..... not forged.

As for Harley........ I almost have to laugh, they are getting whats coming to them by building the same old think with more chrome and nothing new other then making the new bikes handle worse then the old bikes.

rubber mount spagetti noodle on 2 wheels that scarry to drive around a corner.

About all Harley has left that shows a profit is the T-Shirts the good lookin babes wearing them.......... Clothing is the big news with Harley... only profit area left at the dealer level.

They are on a down hill tail spin that won't end well unless they fire all the BEAN counters and hire some good old fashion red necks to straighten the place out.

Harley has spent to much time protecting their LOGO and not enough time stay ahead of the competion.

over priced poor performing units that have truely run their course.

Now that Victory's gone.... they only got indian to play against... for the most part.

Don't get me wrong........just about all my friends ride Harley's, They have run the market for years.

But if you get off any other bike and get on a Harley you have just taken one massive step backwards in a Big way........they are terrible to ride thru a corner fast.

Dan

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
View attachment 299577View attachment 299575View attachment 299574Such as these Made in the USA 850 connecting rods.[/ATTACH]

This is just the beginning, in the future we will most likely build all the crankshaft parts and offer a complete crankshaft
or seperate pieces.

These rods are going into our New Warthog Turbo test motors they will be back from heating treating shortly and then get final machined and honed to size.

there will be 7 test motors on the snow early next month in some high Mile test rider sleds.

Dan

Awesome Dan.

Premium Features