• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 Polaris RMK

A
Jan 23, 2019
Ah good catch in three 63 vs 65. Didn't see that part. Oh well looks like the old pro is getting a narrow front end and new track this summer

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Well I just saved myself $15k - nothing there i'm gonna rush out and buy ....

new 650 motor didn't make it to the RMK lineup, 800 is gone, why did they bother with the 163" ?

I did hear the new track is really good but so?
and the colors - ugh. Love the purple but ....

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Well, nothing too exciting there. I was kind of hoping they would be releasing a factory turbo. Skidoo is going to be eating their lunch until they do. But now I dont have to go buy a new sled!
And i have a new turbo for my wife. I don't like it and she doesn't either. Not just turbo. All experts feel front heavy. Don't know what they did. Power is easy to remedy. Handling is not. Polaris will be just fine.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
So, I was thinking the quickdrive 2 gear down was pretty weak, but then I found a video on it. What they said is they went to a longer belt, same top sprocket, but a 50t bottom sprocket. If they're referring to the AXYS QD sprocket, that's a 22:50 setup, or 2.27 ratio, which is 15% lower than AXYS QD. Polaris loves to make things confusing by mixing gearing and driver sizes together; at least that's not a factor since we're talking the same driver diameter, so I'm assuming the 10% is over the old chaincase gearing. So it's a sizable improvement, and I think on the 155s at least they may finally be near the optimum gearing. I like what I see there.

Sadly, that's all for the mountain segment. The new trail chassis (Matryx) points to significant chassis changes next year, but nothing earth-shattering. There is indeed a new motor, but all I can find is it's based on the 850. So it appears it's just a de-bored 850, and the listed weights going from 650 to 850 are the same. Still an improvement over the 600, but RMKs are stuck with the 600 if you don't choose the 850 for whatever reason. I don't see a new tether option on those, and the design of the footwell looks similar to the AXYS...

Overall, there's just nothing big here. Certainly nothing like a turbo: just one "new" motor, with nothing to indicate it's anything more than a moderate upgrade over the 600. It should hopefully have a bit more power than Doo's 600R, but being just a turned down 850, I don't see anything remarkable in terms of weight or efficiency. The bright spot is QD2 and the new track will probably make a big difference. I bet with those, the perception of the Doo 850 having more grunt goes away. But beyond that, I guess I was hoping for a little bit more...

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Oh boy. Polaris is definitely going to lose some market share this year. Oh well, maybe that will just make them that much cheaper when I go to buy one in a few years.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Oh boy. Polaris is definitely going to lose some market share this year. Oh well, maybe that will just make them that much cheaper when I go to buy one in a few years.

I wonder where the buyers are going to go then? There is a sizeable thread on Dootalk where people are complaining over the lack of news from Doo this year, and congratulating Polaris for gaining customers from BRP's lack of news. And now this.... perhaps Cat will have a brilliant 2021 season?!?!?

A new chassi/platform and a new engine, I'd say that is plenty of new stuff.

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
I wonder where the buyers are going to go then? There is a sizeable thread on Dootalk where people are complaining over the lack of news from Doo this year, and congratulating Polaris for gaining customers from BRP's lack of news. And now this.... perhaps Cat will have a brilliant 2021 season?!?!?

A new chassi/platform and a new engine, I'd say that is plenty of new stuff.

The 850 factory turbo has peaked my interest considerably. I've never owned a doo before but that new 850T Freeride 165" is going to be hard for me to resist...albeit expensive. ?

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I'm not real impressed. I buy and sell year old every year . Obviously a new chassis is coming next year and no doubt Factory Turbo ..

Anyone see a golden ticket advertised?? Resale is already bad with the internet issues on the 850.

My better option is buy a VR-1 and resell on pickup for MSRP and use extra to supplement 19 sale .. That one is still here with this awesome winter we have had !!!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND

I'm not sure that Polaris will lose much, some.....yes but that will always happen with the guys that think they need the newest thing. The Doo is still in an old chassis and there have been several complaints on how heavy the front end feels on these at slow maneuvering speeds. Will it have power, I'm sure but it will never handle like an RMK. I think the only reason Doo threw the new turbo into the market was to limp the old chassis along another year or two.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
NEW Track - series 8 - 165 x 2.75" - 3.5" pitch
NEW Quick Drive 2 (QD2) = Lighter and Quicker = even Lower Inertia.
NEW 10% Gear Reduction
NEW weight savings - 5 lbs lighter.

Not too bad, in my opinion, for a "non-new chassis" year. The color choices are pretty lame this year though.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I'm not sure that Polaris will lose much, some.....yes but that will always happen with the guys that think they need the newest thing. The Doo is still in an old chassis and there have been several complaints on how heavy the front end feels on these at slow maneuvering speeds. Will it have power, I'm sure but it will never handle like an RMK. I think the only reason Doo threw the new turbo into the market was to limp the old chassis along another year or two.

Let’s not get too carried away here...

The gen4 chassis came out in 2017
The axys chassis came out in 2016
So Polaris is the one with the “old” chassis, even though the axys chassis is pretty stellar ( I owned one for 3 seasons ).

I think you’re referring to my thread on the heavy front end feel of the doo turbo, and while I’d like to make it more playful I’d compare what I’m feeling to that of an RMK vs a Khaos.

As far as the Polaris reveal goes, I think it’s awesome that you can finally get a belt drive in all tracks now. I thought they said the reason the 3” tracks didn’t have it before was they couldn’t get the gearing they wanted to fit in the chassis? Did they go to a smaller driver to bridge the gap or just slap the belt drive in there like the aftermarket?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
NEW Track - series 8 - 165 x 2.75" - 3.5" pitch
NEW Quick Drive 2 (QD2) = Lighter and Quicker = even Lower Inertia.
NEW 10% Gear Reduction
NEW weight savings - 5 lbs lighter.

Not too bad, in my opinion, for a "non-new chassis" year. The color choices are pretty lame this year though.
I REALLY like the pro rmk color options this year. Not in love with the Khaos colors, but thats ok, they gave us something different, as well as an all black option.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Let’s not get too carried away here...

The gen4 chassis came out in 2017
The axys chassis came out in 2016
So Polaris is the one with the “old” chassis, even though the axys chassis is pretty stellar ( I owned one for 3 seasons ).

I think you’re referring to my thread on the heavy front end feel of the doo turbo, and while I’d like to make it more playful I’d compare what I’m feeling to that of an RMK vs a Khaos.

As far as the Polaris reveal goes, I think it’s awesome that you can finally get a belt drive in all tracks now. I thought they said the reason the 3” tracks didn’t have it before was they couldn’t get the gearing they wanted to fit in the chassis? Did they go to a smaller driver to bridge the gap or just slap the belt drive in there like the aftermarket?

Okay poor choice of wording on my part. The point was overall the Doo chassis has been chasing the Polaris chassis. They have continued to try and upgrade it but in the end, even Doo riders are leaving them due to this. I know several who have done this or have spoke of this, not just one thread.

I really think Doo was feeling the heat, so swing for the fence and put out a factory turbo and see what happens.

I too am happy with Polaris finally adding belt drive across the board, its been long over due!!

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Wondering if the new 165x2.75 track would fit on my Ice age Bomber Khaos rail.. Ice age lists them as a 163/ then a 162 in another spot. The one I ordered said 163, my tracks a 163x2.6 currently, fully clipped.. Hopefully its lasts..

QD2 looks very similar to just doing a pro ride chassis quik drive gears to gear down your axys.... That's proably what my next mod is.

I'm keeping my 16 axys pro rmk/ KHAOS 163.. only 1550 miles on it and runs good... The khaos conversion really made it a fun sled, so I'm sure the 165 khaos is gonna be a blast to ride.

Premium Features