• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016/17 Snowy Range snow conditions

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Yes, great ride Owenb2!

Here are a few pics from the Centennial side/Greenrock parking on Friday around 1pm.

Pictures are
Driving up 130 coming upon ski area turnoff

Greenrock parking area turn around (nobody was parked at greenrock)

Driving up 130 toward Snowy Mtn Lodge (very few trucks parked on highway)

My opinion on spring riding - we had perfect spring conditions. Temps in the 40's and sunshine. After approx 10-11am, the snow had softened up enough that scratchers were not needed. Prior to that most of the snow was crusty, even off trail going up to Lake Marie. It may not have been crusty like that on the backside in the trees but we didn't get back there before 11am to know. I wouldn't want to ride spring conditions (packed snow) if it didn't get warm enough to soften the snow, and if it wasn't at least partially sunny. Not sure what temp/sun combination would soften the snow early enough to get a full day of riding but we seemed to hit it right. One thing to remember is the days are much longer so you can ride until 6-7 and still have soft snow.

IMG_2632[1].jpg IMG_2637[1].jpg IMG_2642[1].jpg

Last edited:
J

Jaredr93

Jan 26, 2012
Cheyenne
Was up yesterday. 8-10" of new snow on the flats with even more in the trees. It was one of the better days in the last month or so. 130 has been cleared for quite a ways so getting back in is a bit tricky right now.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Are there areas further up 130 (past Snowy Mtn Lodge) from the Centennial side which are legal to park a pickup and two place trailer?

Anyone riding this weekend?

Two of us may go up and wouldn't mind a few more riders.

J

Jaredr93

Jan 26, 2012
Cheyenne
I'm not too sure. They do have the gate closed up a few miles before the pull off.

I might be headed up Sunday.

Hike&Hunt

Premium Member
Mar 23, 2016
Windsor, CO
I'm up for a day of riding, just not sure about access. I have a 28' enclosed trailer and I haven't been up to Green Rock this late in the season. Does anyone know about access and room to turn around?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
If you can turn around at the Snowy Mtn Lodge entrance, you could probably park there. I'd be surprised if you couldn't turn around there, esp if the road is opened up which would allow more space to get turned around since people wouldn't be parked at the road closed barricade.

My thought would be to park at green rock and if there isn't enough snow to ride along the road, there should be along the power poles.

The forecast up top looks like 1-2' additional snow on top of approx a foot which has already come down this week. Not sure how much of that will reach green rock.

J

Jaredr93

Jan 26, 2012
Cheyenne
There's plenty to ride along the poles. Couple spots are light but it's not too bad. If anyone ends up going up Sunday and wouldn't mind another tagging along, I'll head that way. I'll try my best to keep up. Only have a year of riding under my belt

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Awesome video. it would be awesome if u could take a drone with u while riding to scope out new areas.

We are still thinking about making the trip west. Would prob ride sat 9-4ish and sunday 8-3ish. Light boondocking most likely. Should be easy to find untracked snow. Backside, off v, sand lake, something like that depending upon weather and ability of people who want to ride.

Last edited:

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
We are thinking of coming up on Sat, we ride from the Ryan park side being from Casper its easier. If anyone is going tomorrow i would like to link up?

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Over the bumper. Perfect. Wish we could ride sunday but heading back home to beat a snowstorm which is supposed to drop up to 11" along interstate 80 with 30mph winds.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Rode with Coldfinger yesterday, great day of riding. Lots of good snow, wish I had more days off. Thanks for letting me tag along.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Snow again?

The NWS Forecast for the Gap shows 18-30" thru Thurs night and 27-43" for Sherman Pass on I80 just east of Laramie.

Great riding with you Wintertime. Have to do it again.

Last edited:

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
The NWS Forecast for the Gap shows 18-30" thru Thurs night and 27-43" for Sherman Pass on I80 just east of Laramie.

Great riding with you Wintertime. Have to do it again.

anyone think its rideable? always wanted to go sledding on my birthday (may 25th)

Iowa_assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Definitely should be rideable. They close it June 1st and we have always ridden Memorial Day weekend. No, most likely you wont be getting powder but it will be nice spring slushy snow. Where are you from in Iowa? Im part of Iowa boondockers on Facebook. Give us a like and send us a message. maybe we can meet up.

Premium Features