• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016/17 Big Horns N/S Snow conditions

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
No base what so ever. Good fun slow ride though. When the snow is like this I tend to just tractor along at a slow pace. I really hate hitting stuff when there is no sign of it under the snow.

GOPR0016.jpg

D
Oct 22, 2012
Don't let the fence fool you! The taking into consideration the wind blows like crazy out there that fence isn't the best instrument of snow depth. I'm sure there are honey holes to be found yet. Yes I agree still short on snow compared to the good old days when they always had good snow. ?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
https://vimeo.com/200253246

Plenty of fun to be had in the horns right now shelbers.

LOL I see grass. Typical in the horns though.

You really can't be mad at the guy for asking about conditions in the condition thread, but I do agree that learning to use resources like snotel and mapclick weather are as good as anything and you can get a real good idea of the conditions in about 2 minutes.

My advice to the guy from Iowa above asking about conditions.... There is as good of snowpack in CO and western WY as there has been in many years, I would drive the extra 2-3 hours for WAYYYY more snow and WAYYY better terrain (a matter or opinion I suppose). Your gonna be in the truck driving all day anyway, whats a couple more hours?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I was 30 seconds from a popular parking area on my wife's sled. I took the video sarcastically. If there is that kind of snow that close to the parking area. I hope you all understand that there will be good snow blown into drainages, Meadows's and bowls up higher. Like I said before. Not being a smart ***.... if you want great snow right off the trail, right out of the parking lot. Go to anywhere but here and South Dakota. If you don't want to drive to Cooke, snowies, west Yellowstone. Then stop at the horns. And ride. If you think the snow was horrible. Your a choad and you need to explore higher elevation and off the trail.

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I was 30 seconds from a popular parking area on my wife's sled. I took the video sarcastically. If there is that kind of snow that close to the parking area. I hope you all understand that there will be good snow blown into drainages, Meadows's and bowls up higher. Like I said before. Not being a smart ***.... if you want great snow right off the trail, right out of the parking lot. Go to anywhere but here and South Dakota. If you don't want to drive to Cooke, snowies, west Yellowstone. Then stop at the horns. And ride. If you think the snow was horrible. Your a choad and you need to explore higher elevation and off the trail.

What's a choad?

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Rode last Sunday - Tuesday. We found plenty of snow. Not the best snow I have seen in the Big Horns, but definately not the worst. We didn't find anything North of Bear Lodge. The best snow was West and South. :tea:

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
How's much base is there? Are most of the rocks covered?

Depends where you are at. Some places had a good base and some places had grass and rocks showing. Ride smart and you won't have any problems.

Premium Features