• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

154 Alpha vs Twin Rail 162-5 vs Matryx

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
I currently own a 21’ Mtn Cat 154 alpha with Elevate. Have about 1,200 miles on it. It’s my second mtn sled and I’m still learning. I’ve come a long way but I’m wanting to become better. I ride with all Matryx and Axys 165 sleds. There’s things I like about my Alpha on more of the open hillsides but I still struggle in the trees with decisions on lines and keeping momentum. I’ve considered changing it to a twin rail with elevate 162-5 or getting a Matryx. Had the opportunity to ride a 165 pro slash and I noticed you give up some playfulness but have more time to make decisions and it’s more forgiving. How would an elevated twin rail compare to the Matryx? Am I better off selling the sled and going a different direction? Any input is greatly appreciated..

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
Have you ridden your sled without the elevate ….

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Single rail 165 will allow more forgiveness on momentum in trees than 154. Let’s you crawl around a lot more when needed.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
No I didn’t, put the elevate on it before the first trip.
I put an elevate on my alpha and removed it. People all say what they wanna say but I could NOT tell a difference aside from it made it harder to get on edge. Especially on the garage, It raised the center of mass/gravity and made the sled feel like a twin rail. I was able to compare with another same sled (both 2019 alpha 165).
If i never had another sled to compare to, i'd of probably told my self it did make a difference for the good...... In the snow the stock alpha laid over easier, in the garage it showed the same results, I could grab the handlebar and pull the stock alpha over, the elevate you had to give it a tug to get it over, it no longer just kinda layed over. people tried to say yeah well thats on concrete and not snow... well concretes got no give so i believe that was the best test and example.... as things get "easier" in the snow.

try it with out the elevate.

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
I put an elevate on my alpha and removed it. People all say what they wanna say but I could NOT tell a difference aside from it made it harder to get on edge. Especially on the garage, It raised the center of mass/gravity and made the sled feel like a twin rail. I was able to compare with another same sled (both 2019 alpha 165).
If i never had another sled to compare to, i'd of probably told my self it did make a difference for the good...... In the snow the stock alpha laid over easier, in the garage it showed the same results, I could grab the handlebar and pull the stock alpha over, the elevate you had to give it a tug to get it over, it no longer just kinda layed over. people tried to say yeah well thats on concrete and not snow... well concretes got no give so i believe that was the best test and example.... as things get "easier" in the snow.

try it with out the elevate.

Did you notice less drag at all in the snow up front? Would only think increased bulkhead height would help in deep snow.. Currently am thinking of purchasing a 165 rail/track to put in my current sled. The 154 track and rail is in great shape so I could sell that and not be out much money..

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Did you notice less drag at all in the snow up front? Would only think increased bulkhead height would help in deep snow.. Currently am thinking of purchasing a 165 rail/track to put in my current sled. The 154 track and rail is in great shape so I could sell that and not be out much money..
I can't say I noticed a difference at all, after all if I remember right, it's 1" gained in the front? 1.5? Really it's nothing. I'd take a guess you'd get better results from ski's and floatation lol

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
elevates biggest improvement is in steep sidehilling. As far as climbing with control (not bowties/re-entries) with added clearance, I think a set of ZRP 1.25" raised spindles is all this chassis needs. I ran mountainside 1.5" raised on my twin rail last year with stock skid and aside from a little added steering effort it really helped the capability of the sled and was less divey. cranked up FTS and still climbed better, the stock spindles are just too short imo and make the sled teeter from front to back too much. when its steep and youre on/off the gas. Im still playing with my elevate twin rail to get it back to climbing confidence i had last year, I like the sidehill capability too much to go back to stock.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
elevates biggest improvement is in steep sidehilling. As far as climbing with control (not bowties/re-entries) with added clearance, I think a set of ZRP 1.25" raised spindles is all this chassis needs. I ran mountainside 1.5" raised on my twin rail last year with stock skid and aside from a little added steering effort it really helped the capability of the sled and was less divey. cranked up FTS and still climbed better, the stock spindles are just too short imo and make the sled teeter from front to back too much. when its steep and youre on/off the gas. Im still playing with my elevate twin rail to get it back to climbing confidence i had last year, I like the sidehill capability too much to go back to stock.
With the elevate twin rail, I'm locking the rear track shock more. It's a pain stopping and turning the knob but climbs a lot better.

Elevate really does help with sidehilling. I would want a 165 track if a stayed with an alpha rail. But man the elevate 153 twin rail setup is fun!!

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
With the elevate twin rail, I'm locking the rear track shock more. It's a pain stopping and turning the knob but climbs a lot better.

Elevate really does help with sidehilling. I would want a 165 track if a stayed with an alpha rail. But man the elevate 153 twin rail setup is fun!!

Maybe I’m best off swapping my 154 to a 165 Alpha track/rail then and leaving the elevate kit on. Hopefully it’s still playful but more forgiving in the trees etc

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007

I finally sucked the limiter in a notch for climbing but added pressure to the FTS so it isnt heavy in front. I love it now! Climbs with control and still has all advantages of elevate. im on twin 162

Premium Features