• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM Freeride or ProRMK

T
Dec 7, 2010
So I'm planning on purchasing a new sled for next year. I'm thinking either a XM Freeride 137/146 or a ProRMK 155. Or, possibly a Switchback Assault with a deeper lug track. I'd like to get some honest, unbiased feedback from guys who have ridden/own these sleds.

I ride 40% groomed trail, 60% off trail in the UP, and take a trip out west for some deep powder boondocking every year. I have heard the ProRMK is a killer mountain chassis and about as easy to ride in the powder as you can find. I have spent a decent amount of time on a 2012 SBA and it seems like a nice machine. Never been on a Freeride or any XM chassis Doo. I'm looking for a machine that is easy and fun to carve with and ride in the powder, but can still be jumped, and pushed on the trail. Is the Pro chassis that much better than the XM off trail? I definitely like the idea of running a new 800 Etec.

How does the XM Freeride handle in the powder? Is it as "flickable" as the Pro? Is there a big difference off-trail between the 137 R-motion and the 146 T-Motion? I know that the Freerides have a quick disconnect sway bar for carving - how much does it help? Is power comparable between the Polaris and Doo 800s? Reliablility? Fuel consumption? Seems like the Doos have nicer fit and finish - thoughts?

I'd appreciate any input - I'm sure that demoing each sled would be best, but that probably won't happen. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
The pro would be the most "flickable" but since you spend alot of time on trails I would think the freeride with 146 would be best for all the conditions you described but the SBA would be a close second. It mostly comes down to personal preference though because each has their pros and cons

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
I can't help you a lot but have a buddy that has a 13 pro and i have a 14 xm. Let him ride mine and he said something along the lines of it felt like it had a turbo. all stock sled besides carbon fiber can. Have just over 400 miles on the e tec this year and i got to say its a impressive power plant. As far as reliability well no one makes a "reliability kit" for a ski doo. Fuel and oil do good once you get out of break in. Doesn't help all your questions but hope it helps.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Ride them both/all. Then decide. I can't ride a Pro to save my live, but I can ride an XM fine. My 146 Freeride is my favorite sled of all time. A little tippy on trails, but eats bumps like no sled I have ever ridden.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Own an 11 and 14 pro, they are poor trail sleds and not jumpers. My XP is the better trail sled. Don't own a FR, but for what you described, pro is not the ticket. You are Assault RMK or SB Assault candidate more than a pro. Ride the FR and a 800 poo and you'll know.

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
I would go for the 146 FreeRide! It will do all right on the trails and do really well when you go to the Mountains, I would hate riding a switchback in the mountains, but a mountain sled on the trails wouldn't be all that bad!!

Hope this helps,

Ryan

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have an xm and my wife has a pro. If those were my choices I would pick the pro. I havn't rode a free ride but they are heavy. I was thinking they were 480ish. That is a deal breaker for me. The xm is not a trail sled and the free ride is heavy. I would look at the pro or a 146 xm. You could widen the skis for the trail and narrow it when you come out west. If the shocks aren't good enough you can get better shocks then they have on the freeride. My xrs was lighter than 480 in 07. This is 2014. Too heavy for a 2014 mountain sled. JMO but ultimately you need to try them for yourself.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
IMO, I'd avoid the Pro and go with the SBA if you want to go Polaris.

The Pro is light and likes to be in snow-no front cooler, no bogey wheels. When the trails get icy I have to keep a constant eye on my temp gauge even with the scratchers down. Trails are only a ways to get to deeper snow on a Pro.

SBA 144 w/ track upgrade or XM Free Ride 146. One of those.

T
Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for the input guys. I really like the 800 etec and race inspired chassis of the Freeride, but its weight is definitely a downer. XM Freeride 137/146 or SBA in the powder - which is better?

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Thanks for the input guys. I really like the 800 etec and race inspired chassis of the Freeride, but its weight is definitely a downer. XM Freeride 137/146 or SBA in the powder - which is better?

First and foremost, try to get on each sled for at least a few hours. It's the only true way to know.

Once you ride a FR the weight difference will be a non-issue. The power of the ETEC is impressive. Fuel economy is great (best ride on my '14 has been 67.4 miles on a mixed trail/off trail ride) with 2 bars showing at the trailer. I personally like the steering better than the Pro, but don't know if the SBA is the same as a Pro. Polaris is definitely a nimble sled in the trees and powder, but a good rider can make most sleds go the same places.

Oh......... and the Freeride is better. I would go 146 in your case.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The group I ride with from the UP has nearly all of them on Summits but there is one on a Pro. 2 are confused about their gender an ride Cat/Yamaha.

Ride both and decide.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC

I would think a 146" XM would put the hurt down on a SBA in the powder, mostly due to the track. I lent my 163 Pro to a friend and rode my wife's XP 146 in deep pow a couple weeks and it did great. Definitely gotta keep it wound up more if you're used to a long track, but you could ride it anywhere. Only issue was not blowing it over backwards on really steep climbs/punching through a cornice. And the goofy XP handling, but that's largely resolved with the XM improvements.

I'd usually vote Polaris, but for what you're describing I think the Freeride is a better unit.

Braap Wraps

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2013
Laramie Wyoming
www.sledthreads.biz
Sled I have ridden in the last two years.

2013 Polaris Switch Back 800 144. Put 250 miles on this last year. All around great on the trail. the wider front end is less than desirable in the back country but is ridable just made me sore after a day of riding compared to the to Pro RMK and Summit XP/XM.

2012 and 2013 Pro RMK 800 155. 300 miles combined. Both are great in the back country. The Pro is the easiest to ride in pow but less then desirable on the hard pack and marginal powder conditions. They seem to want to push threw the corners on the trail so I wouldn't consider this as a trail ripper.

2014 Summit X 800 XM 163. Sway bar removed. 250 miles. This is my Current sled. It is great on marginal snow and hard pack it can it to anything I want in the back country. On powder days it floats better than the Pro is it wants to right it's self instead of cutting into the hill. On the trail you have to slow when you come into corners or it just want to roll to the outside of the corner. I'm sure putting the sway bar back in would help with this but it's not where I ride so I keep it. out.

I hope this helps and its what I have noticed. If you have any question hit me up I don't always get everywhere on the forum.

Snow4life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Last year I bought a 2013 pro 155 brand new and put 1200 miles on it.. Last spring I snowchecked a freeride 154. I was a little worried on how the freeride would side hill and perform in the trees.. There's not one thing I miss about my Pro!

T
Dec 7, 2010
Last year I bought a 2013 pro 155 brand new and put 1200 miles on it.. Last spring I snowchecked a freeride 154. I was a little worried on how the freeride would side hill and perform in the trees.. There's not one thing I miss about my Pro!

What about the weight difference? 480 to 417 lbs is a big difference on paper... how about in the saddle?

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
It doesn't sound like you've considered the RMK Assault at all...?
I owned a 2011 SBA with a 2" camo challenger on it and regeared it to RMK gearing. It was a fast sled and it did pretty good out west for being a 144 with a coil over IMO. If you're worried about weight, remember the SBA is heavier than an RMK too. It was great on the trails, but the XP is a smoother trail machine but tippy in the corners. I would still take the handling of the SBA over the XP anyday. I haven't had enough time on an XM to give it an honest report... I rode it a couple times in the mountains but didn't give myself enough time to really get used to it. I plan on riding my buddies XM Freeride a bit in the mountains in a couple weeks so we'll see what I think of that.

Long story short, the SBA fell short of what I wanted in the back country, both in the UP and in the mountains. I bought a 2012 RMK Assault with the powder track because I wanted something that I could ride comfortably on the trails and benifit from the coil-over skid and 155 track. I spent $500 and sent all 4 shocks to Raptor to get revalved for me, and resprung with his triple rate springs. Now it is a well mannered trail machine (pushes a bit because its a long track, but you'll have that), soaks up bumps, and can get thrown wherever I want in the back country with the twist of the clickers... I always run with my skis set to the narrowest setting, and could widen it if I wanted more stability in the corners. The ONLY downside I have seen with my RMK Assault is it likes to heat up if I'm going slow through the woods in packy snow or creeping on the trail. If you're going 20+mph with the scratchers down, the temp stays at 127 all day... unless you're riding on pure ice which sucks for any sled with a paddle track. Our group has Pro RMKs (11-14), XP 146s, an XM 154, and now an XM Freeride 154...

my .02

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
In the powder the Pro will shine, on trails you would prefer the XM. I rode my 155 Pro this last weekend in some steep and deep conditions in NE Nevada, a couple friends were riding e-tecs. In the powder the Pro dominated.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I'll sell you my '14 Pro so I can get a Doo.
Let's see:
(a) '14 Pro runs hot on trails even with scratchers....I'm sick and tired of constantly watching the temp gauge. Hit 172 deg F riding back to my car yesterday.
(b) Poo hasn't yet made a reliable 800 yet
(c) Scratch the aluminum on the tunnel and under the oxidation, it says Bud lite. Light weight comes at a cost of hardiness.
(d) I hate the gauge and stock location. Doo has analog gauges at good angle, has altitude readout, break in feature, and self fogging capability.
(e) Try loading a Pro on a sled deck versus a Doo.
(f) Glue
(g) For a newbie as myself, the Doo is easier to get on edge.
(h) Stock Doo is quieter.
(I) Carbon fiber bumper is a gimmick and not very durable. Somebody want to buy mine?
(J) Nice clunk sound from drivetrain whenever starting out from a stop

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Poo...after all my wife's ride is a newly purchased IQ 700 and we both love it.

Premium Features