• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any Gen 5 riders demo a Catalyst?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I hear people say that 600 catalyst feels so light. Well guess what, so does 600 summit and so does 650 pol feel too.

858 will feel significantly heavier than 600. Thats just the way it goes.
Rumor has it the 858 Catalyst engine package (engine, exhaust, intake, mounts, etc) is 3 lbs lighter than the 600 catalyst. Snowest even mentions it in one of their pod casts. The 600 does use a 800 crank, and their is savings in the integrated engine mounts built into the bottom end case of the 858 versus the plate system on the 600. This is how the 858 sits even lower in the chassis compared to the 600.

R
Feb 26, 2008
I hear people say that 600 catalyst feels so light. Well guess what, so does 600 summit and so does 650 pol feel too.

858 will feel significantly heavier than 600. Thats just the way it goes.

A 600 Alpha doesnt ride any heavier than a 800 Alpha. It has the same stroke, a heavier crank and within 4 pounds of the total weight. Feels exactly the same.
A 600 AXYS feels miles lighter than a 650 which feels the same as a 9R.
I have an 800 Catalyst. And it feels lighter than a 600 Catalyst and lighter than any other sled cause it is.

The 858 will not be noticeably different than the 6. It has a longer stroke affecting gyros but the crank is basically same weight as the new 6/800. The motor is mounted substantially lower and further back.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i have a 600 catalyst and rode a 850 ski doo this weekend and i thought the ski doo felt heavy in the bars like it was fighting me the whole time. The doo was a rental so how it was set up i dont know, but my catalyst is set how the dealer had it as well. the catalyst felt easy to do anything, sidehilling over old hard tracks was a breeze. My buddy with a 800 stage 2 axys with fox floats wants to buy my 600 so its not just me. the doo felt more powerfull which it should but that was the only thing better about it in my opinion. every one that rode the 9r in our group said they liked it and that it and my catalyst felt very similar, other than power of course. I do think the cat track and drive train make up for some of the power difference the powerclaw track just hooks up.

D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah
A 600 Alpha doesnt ride any heavier than a 800 Alpha. It has the same stroke, a heavier crank and within 4 pounds of the total weight. Feels exactly the same.
A 600 AXYS feels miles lighter than a 650 which feels the same as a 9R.
I have an 800 Catalyst. And it feels lighter than a 600 Catalyst and lighter than any other sled cause it is.

The 858 will not be noticeably different than the 6. It has a longer stroke affecting gyros but the crank is basically same weight as the new 6/800. The motor is mounted substantially lower and further back.
How do you have an 800 catalyst? They don’t even make one.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I own a 2023 turbo r (elevate spindles, Mohawk skis, Fox QRS) rides substantially better than stock. I also have a 2023 boost and demoed a catalyst last week. If you ride trees doos chassis is 3rd on my list, heavy and unpredictable compared to the other 2 chassis. As mentioned the catalyst is the easiest to ride and hold a sidehill. I’ve ordered an 858, it’s going to be the best NA on the snow. Boost is being kept for deep days, Gen 5’s forsale.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I own a 2023 turbo r (elevate spindles, Mohawk skis, Fox QRS) rides substantially better than stock. I also have a 2023 boost and demoed a catalyst last week. If you ride trees doos chassis is 3rd on my list, heavy and unpredictable compared to the other 2 chassis. As mentioned the catalyst is the easiest to ride and hold a sidehill. I’ve ordered an 858, it’s going to be the best NA on the snow. Boost is being kept for deep days, Gen 5’s forsale.
Just make sure you get on the polaris site and tell Chadly how much you like your cat junk. He told me he really wanted to know.

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
As chance would have it I lucked into a catalyst 600 demo ride tomorrow, I’ll post a review. I’m currently on a ‘23 na expert 165 and love it for the technical tree riding we do 90% of the time.

I saw Kusters Snowest interview where he talked about the Summit X being the most enjoyable all-round mountain sled which has made me consider snowchecking the X as well. Deciding between the ‘25 858, expert na and X na. I’m 6’1”, 205 and the expert has been a sweet machine for me. I’m 56 and after 3 solid days of riding I’m pretty sore and tired, maybe the X would be just as enjoyable and leave a bit more in the tank.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
kuster described the X as "ruthlessy light" but it's only 4 lbs lighter than the expert for a 154 on the spec sheet. in other words, the difference wouldn't be noticeable.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Ambassadors are trying to sell sleds for skidoo that’s their purpose, no one can feel a few lbs difference, some guys are good enough a rider they made them old apex Yamahas look light weight. All 3 cat doo and poo have there flaws and strong points don’t be so brand blind

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Why’s does everyone get so angry? It would be best for all of us if the new cat is the best sled ever it will push the other two to catch up. More competition is the best thing. Never got to ride a catalyst but just standing on one in the showroom seems small almost like a mid sized sled.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Why’s does everyone get so angry? It would be best for all of us if the new cat is the best sled ever it will push the other two to catch up. More competition is the best thing. Never got to ride a catalyst but just standing on one in the showroom seems small almost like a mid sized sled.
Super small sled very noticeable when riding, doo needs to get on the weight loss train and really just drop to a 15 wide chassis with the Gen 6.

Premium Features