• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any Gen 5 riders demo a Catalyst?

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
I'm deciding what to do for next season, snow check a '25 Expert 165 or Catalyst 858 for mountain tree riding. I switched from a Matryx to the Expert this year and I prefer the Doo over the Polaris. Are there any Doo Summit Expert riders out there that have tried the catalyst chassis? If so, I'd appreciate hearing your review and comparison.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Ive rode them all. Lynx, expert,matryx 850, 9r and boost. Daughter has 600 catalyst. Riding 858 this week. Only thing i haven't rode, and could've or should've, is freeride 146 turbo. Looks like a hoot.
I can't tell you what to buy. It is all preference. The catalyst is the easiest sled to ride and i dare say the best balanced. It doesn't have any of the bad ascender alpha traits that i can see. I would say in some ways it is more similar to a matryx because of steering and some ways similar to doo or lynx on rolling it on edge. There is no break over like polaris. Drive it with feet in deep powder. Still easy in lesser snow. Doo and poo get a lot heavier feeling. Obviously the catalyst does too but it is just so much easier. Catalyst rides at least as good as the matryx on trail. It is not going to ride as good as lynx or doo. The old alpha was the crappiest ride out there by far. Doo turbo r is my favorite motor. No idea on 858 but no factory turbo. Polaris 155 kaos boost with 325 track is one of my favorite sleds. Also 9r in same configuration. I should say minus the crappy brake. Don't like expert spindle and skis. Twitchy, to me, in certain conditions. Mentioning these so you know where I'm at. Take this all with a grain of salt because you really don't know how i ride or what i like. They all have their pluses and minuses.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I just demoed a catalyst this weekend. I currently ride a gen 4 and my wife has a gen 5. I have very little experience with Polaris. I would say the Gen 5 and catalyst are very similar getting up on edge but the catalyst holds it better. The catalyst didn’t have the pop between turns like the gen 5 does. It was planted but yet very easy to change directions on. It is a different feeling but not bad. The Gen 5 is more playful feeling. The 858 should help A lot here. Very similar trail manners between the 2 even with the bad shocks on the catalyst.

D
Dec 22, 2018
I hear people say that 600 catalyst feels so light. Well guess what, so does 600 summit and so does 650 pol feel too.

858 will feel significantly heavier than 600. Thats just the way it goes.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I hear people say that 600 catalyst feels so light. Well guess what, so does 600 summit and so does 650 pol feel too.

Don't be butthurt that he is interested in something your not. Brand loyalty is stupid. You don't know what you dont know and you dont know.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Don't be butthurt that he is interested in something your not. Brand loyalty is stupid. You don't know what you dont know and you dont know.

You seem to be butthurt that not everybody buys your hype. I had 800 cat and in comparison 600 cat was a lot easier and lighter to ride. 800 was trenching and 600 was not. And effect is always the same when switching between 600<->850 and even 850<->850turbo.

I have no doubt that catalyst isnt better than ascender. But if somebody thinks that 858 will feel as light as 600 will be disapointted. Cat says 858 is 4% lighter engine than 800. And its just not about the weight but also rotating masses.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net

Ahhh....no. There's a thing called power-to-weight ratio that pretty much defeats your argument. Also throw in the improved shocks that the 858 will have over the 600 and you can bet on the 858 feeling significantly lighter.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You seem to be butthurt that not everybody buys your hype. I had 800 cat and in comparison 600 cat was a lot easier and lighter to ride. 800 was trenching and 600 was not. And effect is always the same when switching between 600<->850 and even 850<->850turbo.

I have no doubt that catalyst isnt better than ascender. But if somebody thinks that 858 will feel as light as 600 will be disapointted. Cat says 858 is 4% lighter engine than 800. And its just not about the weight but also rotating masses.
Not talking about an 800 cat. Talking about a catalyst.I know all about rotating mass and even inertia from doos high secondary. 600s do feel lighter when not much lighter. I will know this week

D
Dec 22, 2018
Ahhh....no. There's a thing called power-to-weight ratio that pretty much defeats your argument. Also throw in the improved shocks that the 858 will have over the 600 and you can bet on the 858 feeling significantly lighter.

Catalyst 600 has about the same power as Doo 600 and Pol 650.

G5 Summit with 850Turbo R has the power to weight ratio in the business. Its still heavier to ride than 850etec n.a. or not to talk about 600. I have ridden +320hp winder and it still feels like heavy pig despite all that power.

Improved shocks... what does that even mean? Can you specify

This must be one of the most delusional posts I have seen a while lol... big block will never be lighter to ride than smaller one if they have the same chassis etc. Despite the power, laws of physics take care of it.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Not talking about an 800 cat. Talking about a catalyst.I know all about rotating mass and even inertia from doos high secondary. 600s do feel lighter when not much lighter. I will know this week

Cat = Arctic Cat, and also Catalyst = Arctic Cat. Besides concept hasnt changed since pro climb with lay down engines and other stuff so its a fair comparison. Used to ride & build cats and I know it hasnt changed that much actually. Neither has Doo or Pol.

You are always talking about Doos secondary and high inertia, nobody agrees with you, maybe you could figure something else to blame in the future? Centralized mass is also very important factor in motorsport vehicles and Doo does that very well.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Cat = Arctic Cat, and also Catalyst = Arctic Cat. Besides concept hasnt changed since pro climb with lay down engines and other stuff so its a fair comparison. Used to ride & build cats and I know it hasnt changed that much actually. Neither has Doo or Pol.

You are always talking about Doos secondary and high inertia, nobody agrees with you, maybe you could figure something else to blame in the future? Centralized mass is also very important factor in motorsport vehicles and Doo does that very well.
I know you don't agree on inertia. That's why i said it. If you don't ride everything you don't know what you don't know.
Centralized mass is a big deal and nobody does it better than the catalyst. Also a big deal to have it lower in the chassis which the catalyst does better. The doo is more centered or balanced than a boost but everything is higher also.
The catalyst has changed a bunch. It is night and day from your cats. Not even close.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

Your comment exudes ignorance .
2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 cats all handle different from each other.
Why you ask?

Tiny little suspension changes.....
Same chassis, same engine.

Khaos and Pro are vastly different.
Again, tiny suspension changes.

Small changes in specific areas can result in significant changes.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Once again, proof that any post can be derailed very quickly by a simple, honest question, that which is mainly all personal preference😂

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Once again, proof that any post can be derailed very quickly by a simple, honest question, that which is mainly all personal preference😂
Yea :ROFLMAO:, buy whatever you want ride whatever you want.

No amount of forum banter is going to determine that for someone.

If I had the time to own and ride all of them I would. I don't so I buy whatever one I want and just ride it none of them suck.

Premium Features