• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shredder DS questions

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Have had numerous Gen 4 Doos, N/A and Turbo. I am one that really liked the T-motion. Bought a Turbo Expert last year. Amazing sled and never rode it in anything less than epic snow last year. I really missed the T-motion. If I go with a DS Turbo, is it going to ride like an Expert? My buddy has a Boondocker 4100. Loved the way it rode on the trail, not so much in the powder. Just curious if the 24 DS with the narrow front and 15" track makes it handle any different?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It's going to get on edge easier and more playful. My buddy had a 154 expert and thought my lynx might be a hair mor playful and that was with 36 inch front end.
What didn't you like about it in powder?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
It's going to get on edge easier and more playful. My buddy had a 154 expert and thought my lynx might be a hair mor playful and that was with 36 inch front end.
What didn't you like about it in powder?

It felt like the Boondocker was more planted compared to the Summit X.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Boondocker was 16 wide. Some is also in wide skis. Mine was 23 shredder re that my buddy thought was more playful. I also had slydog attack skis which makes a big difference on that sled. My shredder ds is in. I just haven't picked it up yet. I also have a Summit-X Turbo 154 that is in. I don't like tmotion but it is my wife's sled.

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
I think it is the skis that make it handle different. I started with the stock skis so I was used to them. My brother in law (die hard Polaris guy) rode it and hated the handling of the lynx. I put sly dogs on and he said it totally changed the handling for the better and that he could ride it all day long with the sly dog skis. I sold the free ride (had t motion lock out) and am getting the DS because I like the rear skid of the lynx so much more than the ski doo. It is more precise. I never rode the expert from last year so I can't comment on it. I did ride the X last year and like the lynx better.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Have had numerous Gen 4 Doos, N/A and Turbo. I am one that really liked the T-motion. Bought a Turbo Expert last year. Amazing sled and never rode it in anything less than epic snow last year. I really missed the T-motion. If I go with a DS Turbo, is it going to ride like an Expert? My buddy has a Boondocker 4100. Loved the way it rode on the trail, not so much in the powder. Just curious if the 24 DS with the narrow front and 15" track makes it handle any different?

If the expert turbo was an “amazing” sled last year and all you missed with this t motion. Dosent it stand to reason that the Summit X Turbo would be your preferred sled?

The Lynx is a planted sled the boomdocket I rode perhaps the changes on this years DS might get you where you want but Skidoo already offers everything you’re looking for…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I honestly bought the 24 Shredder ds 165 this year for 2 reasons, I like the look of the 3rd Headlight and the 15wide track with no T motion. Coming from cat, I felt the 16 wide and t motion felt difficult to get a feel for when I went to a 21 Turbo doo 165. I really didn't like the gen 4 at all. From what I understand, the lynx feels much more cat/ poo than the expert. That's not first hand knowledge, just hear say... but I'm hoping so.

My hope is that the 15 wide is more planted feeling and not so "washy".

Last edited:
D
Dec 22, 2018
I honestly bought the 24 Shredder ds 165 this year for 2 reasons, I like the look of the 3rd Headlight and the 15wide track with no T motion. Coming from cat, I felt the 16 wide and t motion felt difficult to get a feel for when I went to a 21 Turbo doo 165. I really didn't like the gen 4 at all. From what I understand, the lynx feels much more cat/ poo than the expert. That's not first hand knowledge, just hear say... but I'm hoping so.

My hope is that the 15 wife is more planted feeling and not so "washy".

`24 Freeride and 23-24´ Expert dont have t-motion anymore. 23-24´ Expert has 16" track and 24´ freeride has 15". Both are very solid machines, cant compare too much on old G4.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
The Lynx Shredders DO NOT ride like the Skidoo Expert sleds do, period. They want to wash out more in the trees and quite frankly are a lot harder to side hill on. I find I am constantly fighting my Shredder 4100 and then I hop on an Expert 165 and its like "Oh wow this is how I wish the Shredder handled" .... bare in mind this is about $5,000 in suspension upgrades on the shredder later as well.

If I had it to do over again I most certainly would NOT have bought the Lynx, I'd have gone with an Expert.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
The Lynx Shredders DO NOT ride like the Skidoo Expert sleds do, period. They want to wash out more in the trees and quite frankly are a lot harder to side hill on. I find I am constantly fighting my Shredder 4100 and then I hop on an Expert 165 and its like "Oh wow this is how I wish the Shredder handled" .... bare in mind this is about $5,000 in suspension upgrades on the shredder later as well.

If I had it to do over again I most certainly would NOT have bought the Lynx, I'd have gone with an Expert.
This post most likely would have swayed my decision... I guess I will just have to see this year. We have a 24' 165 and 154 experts in our group this year, so I guess I'll know when we switch h out

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
This post most likely would have swayed my decision... I guess I will just have to see this year. We have a 24' 165 and 154 experts in our group this year, so I guess I'll know when we switch h out

The Lynx seems to do really on rough, open terrain …. But it does not handle as precisely on side hills in the trees as the expert does. Call me a ****ty rider if you want, but I just felt like I was fighting this sled to get it to do even basic stuff I could do on a 2018 Axys easier and didn’t seem to have a lot of trouble with in the expert with either =\

mntnguide

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
Jackson, WY
The Lynx seems to do really on rough, open terrain …. But it does not handle as precisely on side hills in the trees as the expert does. Call me a ****ty rider if you want, but I just felt like I was fighting this sled to get it to do even basic stuff I could do on a 2018 Axys easier and didn’t seem to have a lot of trouble with in the expert with either =\
Have you rode a shredder without the Blade skis? I put on slydogs and couldn't believe how much a ski change made the sled ride lighter and much easier. I ride steep technical trees in western wy where i live, and changing the skis was night and day difference in handling. My group is mainly all turbo skidoo g5's, so I've jumped back and forth plenty, and after putting those skis on last year, i was much happier with my shredder

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Have you rode a shredder without the Blade skis? I put on slydogs and couldn't believe how much a ski change made the sled ride lighter and much easier. I ride steep technical trees in western wy where i live, and changing the skis was night and day difference in handling. My group is mainly all turbo skidoo g5's, so I've jumped back and forth plenty, and after putting those skis on last year, i was much happier with my shredder

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

I tried my old set of mohawks on it and it was an improvement, but the steering effort on the mohawks was a bit more than I'd like to see .... IDK I may try the mohawks again this year once I get the a-arm/spindle turn radius mess sorted out.

Blainelukens

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I got my first ride on my 24 DS Shredder 4100 today, pretty much stock other than Mohawk skis. I am coming off of a 22 turbo expert 165” w/ t motion, all in all I felt pretty at home today on the lynx. There were a few times it felt harder to start a turn or maneuver but it never did anything weird like t motion would. My last 3 sleds had t motion so I’m not hating on it, however the lynx would do pretty much whatever I wanted it to, and track through old sled ruts without having much feedback. To me the 34” front end and the 15” wide track are a sweet combo. I’m sold as of now, just needs to snow some more.

Premium Features