• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twins! 2ea 05 900 159 RMK's - new owners

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
Poorider: Fender rivets were drilled and pushed out with a awl. I even used a magnet to pick up the metal rivet piece so it did not fall into the chasis.

I used a simple harbor freight pop rivet gun and aluminum rivets to replace all of them. The front 3 along the nose of the sled are now self tapping sheet metal screws with metal screw quick nuts on the inside (like door speakers are mounted with) You can also use plastic push rivets, we often call these X mas tree clips on the Ford forums...they are available at most auto stores.

I am completely new to snowmobiles, but I have done alot of work on boats, dabbled in jet skis, and my main hobby is trucks, lifting and wheeling so all that experience helps! I have been building my Bronco II for going on 15 years and have done alot of other conversions/suspensions/drivetrains along the way. My 88 Bronco II I have 80 HOURS of build time just in the wiring harness..the truck thinks it is a 98 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L V8 100%.... The help I get from the interweb and from friends is how its all possible...

I can afford snowmobiling because I have not had a car payment in 14 years :) LOL

The clutching in the girls sled was obviously customized by the previous owner, too bad shes looking for a stock clutch feel... so maybe her clutch components should go on my sled and mine on hers LOL, either way we plan to get the required tools to build our own primarys...then its ON!! Springs are semi cheap!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
Okay suggested secondary (team secondary) spring from SLP:
50-44 Team Secondary Spring, 160-260, Black / White

factory 05 spring:
7043058 Red/Black 0.218 4.70 140/240

the red one she has installed our best guess is?????? I cannot find her springs online
Primary: white/pink (possibly red, looks pink)
Secondary: solid red

Okay suggested secondary (team secondary) spring from SLP:
50-44 Team Secondary Spring, 160-260, Black / White

factory 05 spring:
7043058 Red/Black 0.218 4.70 140/240

the red one she has installed our best guess is?????? I cannot find her springs online
Primary: white/pink (possibly red, looks pink)
Secondary: solid red

The primary spring looks like it could be an almond/red.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
hmmm insteresting

I would expect almond to be brownish? This sucker is bright white when I wipe it clean...possibly off white, but still white??

Does anyone have a picture of the Almond spring?????

Regardless I plan to change it, with 2000 miles now its about due for some work I figure

thank so much for the tips, feedback is very helpful

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Glad this is all about the journey for you! You have done one hell of a job here writing all of this. Thanks for the time and effort. I myself just picked up an '05-900 w/ all of the '06 updates and am very happy with the sled. I am going to install the SLP torque-stop/push-arm within the next week and regear down to 18-40. I did notice the intake boots are cracked, so will change them out this summer. I think they are just as much fun to work on, as to ride. I enjoy it all with them. Have fun and thanks again for the great write-up!

Aaron

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Glad this is all about the journey for you! You have done one hell of a job here writing all of this. Thanks for the time and effort. I myself just picked up an '05-900 w/ all of the '06 updates and am very happy with the sled. I am going to install the SLP torque-stop/push-arm within the next week and regear down to 18-40. I did notice the intake boots are cracked, so will change them out this summer. I think they are just as much fun to work on, as to ride. I enjoy it all with them. Have fun and thanks again for the great write-up!

Aaron

If you modify the air intake look at the fire n ice intake.

Also, get the clutch balanced and maybe rebuilt and see how much it lowers the vibration.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
thanks for the words of encouragement!

I like the Timbersled intake as well, its a simple setup that works real well

The time has come to rebuild the primary on my girls sled... I am ordering the rest of the tools and parts today so we can have it ready by this weekend.

My sled got new handlebars, I bent up the stock bars pretty good two weeks ago when I laid her over in the parking lot LOL.
I ended up riding the whole day with the handlebars secured in place with some rope :) LOL

I installed some Fly racing Aero tapered bars, what a chore that was! Sales people failed to tell me that the stock grip heaters do not work with aluminum bars......thank goodness its almost spring time in the rockies!

I am so proud of my girl, in the last two weekends we are finally confident enough in our riding to try highmarking...my girl on my sled was highmarking everyone last weekend... LOL how cool is that!!! Shes got a 40-60# weight advantage on us, so when she rips up the hill on my sled (her clutch is losing her power up there) she is able to out mark us by 5-10'!! pretty cool.... not bad for our first season, this was her first attempt at really climbing a steep face and turning around (hi mark) by the end of the day she was all smiles and climbing higher then the rest of our group....pretty cool to see!

Some guys really take this high marking stuff pretty seriously! Funny to see their ego's get bruised up from a girl!!

I have some video I will post, but first to fix her clutch

Before this weekend:
cut my bars (ran out of time)
install new j hooks on my bars (sucks riding without them)
regear her sled to 18-40
rebuild her primary, new weights and spring
get our 96 600 tripple running right (new plugs, clean belt and sheaves)

Colorado friggin rules

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
long couple of days worth of wrenching

Maintenance done:
cleaned exhaust valves on both 900's
Installed new yellow exhaust springs and gaskets
I used a dental pick, wire bruch and carb cleaner to remove all the carbon build up on the guillotine's, they were a mess!

Found the girls 900 already has 19/42 gearing, so the 18/40 I bought is not needed

I got my Fly Aero handlebars completed with custom mounts for the polaris factory mountain bar. I think I have 8 hours in the friggin handlebars
Also installed Fly 90 degree J hooks

Girls 900 now has a black/white Team secondary spring and a Polaris black/green primary spring.... re springing both clutches was a snap
The white / red spring that was in her primary is about 1" longer then the new black/green spring. Still not sure who makes/made a white/red

To do still:
I got a skid plate for my sled off Ebay so I need to install that
fix 2ea flow rights on her sled, these things fall off easy!

We are hoping the clutch on her sled now performs as it should (more like mine LOL), it has been noticably showing signs of wear over the course of the season, after reading alot I suspect she had the wrong spring in her team secondary and the spring in her primary was either wrong/worn out. The weights/rollers, everything else looks prestine.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
wow what a difference!

I installed the black/green primary spring and black/white sescondary spring in the girls 900 last week. We rode all weekend and I can finally say both of our sleds are dialed in

No more clunk in the clutch, instead it is very very smooth.
While i had the cover off the primary I checked the condition of the weights/sheaves/bushings, etc it all looks fine. I cleaned it with compressed air and put it back together to spec. This took all of 20 minutes.

The secondary clutch was removed and rebuilt using the new spring, this took about an hour

I am very happy with the results

We were hi marking, tree bashing all day both Sat and Sunday and the sleds performed flawlessly

I also installed new plugs in our 96 tripple and a new widnshield...the 96 also ran great on Sundays trip.

More snow headed to the mountains of CO, I hope this is a LONG season I hate to think of the day I have to put these babies away for the summer.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
yes you definatley should, CO is amazing for sledding that is for sure, and we are still new to this!

We rode up around 12,300 on Saturday, weather was sunny and perfect all day..... both sleds are performing flawless
We drive back into town Sat night to find it snowing and grey sky's LOL how cool is that!

I have some videos and some recent pictures from mods/maintenece, when I get some time I will post them. lets just say now that the sleds are dialed in its time to start thinking about some new plastics :) My girl has been breaking plastics left and right... I am running out of rivets and zip ties!
Of course this is from her trying to out hi mark every hill now....she usually does. Note to self need to get another small foldable saw.....

900 159 + girl = just keeps climbing and climbing and climbing

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
03/16/09

I have gotten a few PM;s asking where we were this year

Just an FYI we have not left the sport LOL!!!

we were married in July of 08, and pregnant on the same night
my wife is my riding partner, so I sacrificed and took the 08-09 season off

we will be back next season!!

currently looking at Polaris RZR for some added summer fun, and for a 600-700 Dragon IQ shift with a 144-147 track for the wife, the 900 159" is a bit much for her :)

It was HELL for me to miss this season after being brand new in 07-08 I couldnt wait to hit the snow in 08, oh well next year we'll need a babysitter and its ON!!!!!!!

Its nice to see we were missed! I really missed wrenching on the sleds this winter!!!

thanks for your thoughts and we'll see you on the trails this summer!!!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Nice to see you back.

Your thread is a great read for anyone owning a 900 RMK.

Well ... Dad ... boy or a girl?

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
410..yes like Don said..welcome back..

you were the FIRST person i got info from last year when i bought my 900..now look what you did to me..lol..glad to see you around again..

congrats on the marriage..and the new baby..hope everything is BLISS!!

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
revive from the dead!

Okay so it has been a while, but I am still a die hard 900 guy so here we go.
Alot has changed on this sled, mostly last season when I bought a non running semi beat up, 900 for parts...it had some really nice parts on it.
So my sled took a transformation in 2014
Now it has coolant in the exhaust so I decided to do my first top end rebuild:

sled is question my 2005 900 RMK 162" mod sled
05engine1.jpg

05engine2.jpg

05engine3.jpg

05engine4.jpg

05engine5.jpg

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
yesterday I pulled the engine (coolant in exhaust)

This engine was dyno'ed and given the RMX performance kit (high compression head). This 900 was their test mule for the 900 platform if I remember right.

Rocky Mountain Xtreme

So I am hoping to just do the top end, address the flywheel stator, new water pump seal, fuel filter and put her back together.

Taking a break now the engine is out.
Next I will do the tear down

I have another engine with a billet head, said to have no spark. I am not sure if this engine has a SLP head or what, it may have the entire SLP power package on it? Will have to look into this.
I thought the SLP head has "SLP" etched into the top?

Interesting note the coolant had pressure on both sides of the engine? when I disco'd the front coolant hose on the thermo housing it shot out, same on the rear of the head. Is this because I turned the engine over a few times when taking the belt off and the pull rope handle?

did not expect that!

out1.jpg

out2.jpg

out3.jpg

out4.jpg

out5.jpg

out6.jpg

out7.jpg

out8.jpg

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

Here is my spare "builder" 900 with billet head. No spark according to guy I bought it from.
Flywheel puller is in so will have a look see at the flywheel and stator finally. Top end looks newer from outside (fresh gaskets, clean, etc)

billetbuilder.jpg

WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUILD?
I will go through both and see what we find.

Cleaning time

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
interesting
the billet builder engine did have flywheel separation and indeed was cutting the magneto wires
So I will do a compression test on it and if it checks out I will probably just run it!

billetflywheeloops.jpg

billetwirescut.jpg

I can rebuild my engine and put it in my wife/guest sled 2005 900 (center crank oil bath seal leaking)

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
tear down of my 2005 900 with the RMX power package, 1500 miles approx
No washers under the head bolts

everything inside looks pretty good! Could it be the head O rings just failed? / head bolts not torqued?

teardown1.jpg

teardown2.jpg

teardown3.jpg

teardown4.jpg

teardown5.jpg

teardown8.jpg

teardown9.jpg

teardown10.jpg

teardown11.jpg

teardown12.jpg

teardown13.jpg

water pump seal I replaced in 2008, still holding well!

teardown14.jpg

Premium Features