• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twins! 2ea 05 900 159 RMK's - new owners

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
You are the man, thanks!

When I started building my Ford Bronco II 14 years ago I found help like this, now I give back as much help as possible on the truck forums (explorer4x4.com) someday I may be able to help on the sled forums too MUAHAHAHAHA

Seriously thanks..

going out of town till next week, will re-adjust the tps then
I am curious to see what Julee's TPS is set at her sled runs perfect 100% of the time

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
Julee on her 900 messin around:
Juleeandlsed.jpg

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
We are in the Littleton area
We bought our sleds used from three different private owners
My sled is rumored to have been an Xtreme Performance demo from 05, meaning their test mule, rode hard and put away wet. But I picked it up with only 1100 miles so I can miticulously maintain it from here on out :)
The previous owner told me this info when we bought it

My sled was purchased in Fort Collins, Julee's at Spirit lake Polaris Granby and the 600 in Silverthorne. It was a long two weeks of sled and trailer shopping!

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
OKAY last weekend Julee and I rode Georgia pass and had a blast.

My sled started to have a really high idle, I could get it to drop down if I wiggled the throttle lever.
Reverse no longer works at all, but it seemed to be running okay other then that.

Well yesterday I finally got her into the shop. I need to replace the intake boots anyways so I tore into the sled. I removed the hood, the exhaust & Y pipe, and the SLP air box.
I found my SLP airbox not to be sealed up very well, allowing ALOT of dirt into the throttle bodies, of course with no real air filter I guess some dirt is to be expected. The throttle bodies look like they have sat in a mud puddle for a week. The reeds also looked pretty clogged up in a couple of spots. Behind the reeds looks good though, nice and clean.

I believe I found my problem

The short cable for the oiler is fubared, split right down the middle. The cable shroud is plit in two places, and well this would explain alot of things.
It would explain the high/sticky idle, the incorrect TPS signal so no reverse, etc.
I am sure th edirt buildup is also robbing me of some power.

So I am looking for a new cable today...I may have one built/build one here in town if I need to. I would love to upgrade to the fix it cable sold on this forum but right now I dont have time.

So anyone with the 900 RMK that is having issues with idle/reverse/oiling, etc you might want to have a look see in here

I will get pictures this afternoon

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
It's been ingesting dirt you say? They are called snowmobiles. :)

If there is that much dirt in there aren't you worried about the motor internals? Can you peak in there and see what the piston skirts look like?

sled_guy

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
Yes it had me worried about the engine internals.....

I got the sled all back together yesterday/last night
I still have to put the exhaust on and fire it up, then test the TPS again to ensure I have the correct setting.

Yesterday......................

OKay what started all this is a bad oiler cable:
badcable.jpg

I also had some cracks in my throttle body boots so I wanted to replace those

So I removed the stock pipe, SLP can, stock Y pipe, SLP airbox, throttle body assembly, intake boots and reeds:
sledapart1.jpg

YIKES!

The SLP airbox installation done by the previous owner = no seal!
Dirt flowed right past the SLP intake material and into my engine, AND apparently this thing saw alot of dirt

Condition of the TB:
tbdirty.jpg

Condition of the Reeds (since this engine is EFI do we still call these reeds?, they look like a flapper valve to me):
reedsdirty.jpg

Condition of the engine internals:
cylindercondition.jpg

cylindercondition2.jpg

As far as I can tell there are no scars or scuffs inside the cylinder liner or on the piston/skirt. This sled does have the 06 piston update. Amazingly with all the crap on the reeds the intake area looked pretty good!

The SLP airbox, it looks to me like part of the OEM intake is cut and re-used with the SLP box which is fine, except it should be sealed up. Whoever installed it cut the intake piece a bit short and the seal was no existant.
I installed some new foam tape around the box and around where the upper and lower meet the plastic intake boot. I also used some screws with fasteners on the other side in a few spots to ensure the box is now sealed up:
SLPlowerbefore.jpg

SLPnoseal.jpg

Installed a new fuel filter:
newfuel.jpg

New oil filter:
newoil.jpg

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
Cleaned the TB and reeds:
tbreedsclean.jpg

new Pure Polaris Parts:
pureparts1.jpg

pureparts2.jpg

intalled new oiler cable, Installed reeds:
reedsin.jpg

TB boots:
bootson.jpg

TB & cables:
tbon.jpg

Y pipe/ gaskets:
ypipeon.jpg

SLP airbox WITH proper sealing:

Installed new high density foam tape on lower portion of box and installed piece:
slplowerin.jpg

Look ma no seal:
slpsealbad.jpg

We have a seal now, had to PRY and PRY to get the foam tape in place:
slpsealgood.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
90% DONE:
sledtogether.jpg

Then I moved on to my chaincase, I wanted to repair my dipstick (magnet missing) and switch to ATF instead of gear lube.
So I removed the cover, cleaned it out, found my missing magnet on the adjuster bolt. I superglued the magnet back to the dipstick, cleaned the chaincase, adjusted the chain tension (finger tight then back 1/4 turn), and put it back together.
The chaincase is now filled with 11oz of Mercon V (what I had mying around):
chain1.jpg

chain2.jpg

The top gear is 20T not sure about the lower, I assume these are the factory sprockets, that will change eventually I am sure :)

I had picked up some mosquito netting to fix a couple of holes in my hood. The previous owner lost some of the RMK hood vents. I used hot glue and went to town with the grey mesh material:
rmkventsgrey.jpg

hood2.jpg

That will keep the water/snow out

After work today I finish...fingers crossed she runs better (was running great aside from a sticky throttle, low idle and no reverse).
I am guessing all that dirt in the intake was def not HELPING my performance, if she runs better tomorrow I am gonna cry because she was already one mean B*&^h

I am learning all this stuff as I go, I plan to clean the exhaust valves next if all goes well

Last edited:
T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
410-

WELCOME to the sport!!!!! Sounds like you are taking great care of those 900's you got. It is good to hear there are still individuals that care for their machines the way you do! I hope to relocate to the CO area next year...maybe by that time you will know the areas well enough to show me around the mountains!!

track~

D
Sep 19, 2005
Looks great 410....I may just bring mine to you to work on....What da ya think? Never mind....to long a drive.
Great pics...I did notice one thing...In the picture of your chain case with cover it didn't have the updated lower shield on it..
Unless you put it on afterward you should look into getting that part...It'll help with warping from heat and, in my own mind, it'll help guard the bottom of the case if it get's hit or picked with forks at the dealer.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
thanks guys!

I grew up here in Ken Caryl, its the best part of the metro area to live in IMO

Thanks for the tips on the heat guard, on my sled it has the stock pipe and an early version of the SLP can, there is alot of clearance around the chaincase and the cover shows no signs of warping or melting, remember my sled was a test mule in 05 for Xtreme performance, so many of the parts were early production, thats my best guess at least

On my wifes 900 it has the full 05 style SLP pipe and can, the can sits MUCH closer to her chaincase and the cover does have some signs of melting on one edge. Her sled is next...I already bought the material to cover it with to protect it. If a heat guard is needed I can fabricate a simple one, this is what I do! LOL

These sleds will never see a dealer or forklift if I can help it :) All engine work etc will be done in house

Very happy with the performance of these 900's and our 96 tripple is super reliable with only 1300 miles and full maintenece as well, although the stator is weak there is not alot of voltage at the headlight or hand warners...will have to look into that soon

We have been riding Georgia pass, so close to home and oh so nice up there! But shhhh.....its a secret

M
Jan 8, 2008
Welcome 410, excellent work on your machines, it looks like you are working your butt off on them. Plus, you've got one heck of a wife. Any lady who will essentially start out in a sport with the biggest iron around, with all the getting stuck and stuff like that and not quit the first day is amazing!! Keep up the fine work sir.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
Thats why shes my wife! She is an amazing woman for oh so many reasons

We ran Georgia Pass Saturday, conditions up there are great, we are still new to this so we stay on the trail..with the avy danger so high I think its a good idea

We rode about 50 miles Sunday at rampart range, my sled runs perfect now, except it idles a bit high...I assume this is because I adjusted the TPS sensor trying to fix the issue and then later found the issue was the bad oiler cable, so the TPS needs to be adjusted back most likely.

Julee's sled ran a little hot yesterday...up to 150 a couple of times. We broke both of her ice scratchers (oops hard to remember to put them up) so I am sure that didnt help.
The last two miles before we got back to the truck the sled started to run pooorly, around 145 degrees so not too hot but it was bogging huge, like running on one cylinder
I am hoping I just fouled a plug, the power did come back a couple of times...almost as if it was clearing

Fingers crossed! Just like my Ford trucks it's always something!
Oh and the handlebars on my 900 have a bit of play in them side to side, I am not surprised I have been stuck so many times and I have rolled my sled over at least 4 times this year getting her back on the trail. This worries me I have heard about loose steering in RMK's and its a Bi%&^ to get under the engine from what I understand......yikes!

I am now of the opinion that if you live in CO and you do not own a snowmobile you have issues... this has got to be the best sport/hobby in the world, it might even take over as my new favorite above 4x4ing and wakeboarding :)

Last edited:
Premium Features