• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twins! 2ea 05 900 159 RMK's - new owners

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
oops

came into a corner way too hot, end of the day I missed the turn, grabbed brakes, no good, I bailed into a tree and let my sled take out about 8ea 4" diameter aspens

I am lucky to be bruised up only, could have been VERY bad. My helmet saved my butt! I have a fat lip and two bruised arms...

Sled needs a new fender. Polaris calls this the left side fender, I have searched e bay, swap meet and google to no avail. Can anyone point me to where I can get some used plastics? (new, dealer wants $170)

oops012708.jpg

WEAR YOUR HELMET WITH CHIN STRAP

Last edited:

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Hey 410, be careful! You worked way to hard on this machine to have that going on. I know it can happen tho, they are a rocket.
I know you got things all sorted out but never did see for sure if you ended up getting the TPS setting right and got your reverse back, etc? (where this all started way back)
Good luck on the plastic, I just lost my left side fender last weekend too (stick damage) but I have repaired mine.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
thanks! This is our first season of sledding, we are getting quite good!!! I think I have logged 500 miles on my sled already...

Towards the end of the day I had that

"lets end the weekend with a hard fast run back to the lot" feeling, I had been pushing myself all day, through the whoops, on the hills, etc. Julee is keeping pace really well too, it is alot of fun to watch her "girl handle" that 900

and well, my arms just weren't up to the task on that corner......so I grabbed the brake, too late, had to bail off the side......luckily I tucked and rolled. My helmet hit the dirt and both of my arms hit the tree instead of my back or neck, it could have been really bad.

Getting the sled out was interesting as well. Luckily we had some help from some real experienced guys and we negotiated it down through the tree's, along the creek, and then straight up a hill back onto the trail. Thanks for the help Jim and the other guy, sorry I didnt get your name. Lots of people stopped to check on us, a group of 4-5 sleds even came back up from the parking lot with first aid, ropes, shovels, etc.... thankfully none of it was needed, we had it out by the time they arrived and even though my lip was the size of a silver dollar I was damn happy to be moving around..

oopsb012708.jpg

all that dirt on the ground is where I went rolling helmet first

sled = Minimal damage as far as I could tell, all cosmetic really. That plastic is tougher then it looks, it may suck for lifting the sled (front bumper POS) but it sure made short work of those aspens!

I will get her into the garage tonight and get the real extent of the damage..those $400 metal bumpers look nice but a bit steep for me..I may have to make my own :)

Right now though I just want to get the factory plastics back to normal...this rip is a bit much for just some zip tie or rivet patching, it was curled up like an orange peel all the way back to the suspension...luckily the SLP airbox remained 100% in tact AND she still leaks no fluids.

The answer is yes, I do have reverse the sled runs better then ever. I do need to adjust my TPS sensor just a bit more, it idles at about 1800 rpm..so when I get the time (not pulling engines) I will fix that too.

Julee's 05 900 now has a bunch of play on the secondary clutch...I suspect it needs a few derlin washers...need to read up on that today. We took it real easy on it yesterday but its not working the way it should, the belt was getting worn on the sides and the clutch was popping, thats when I found all the play in the secondary..

So back into the garage they go! prepare for next weekend :)

Thanks to fellow sledders who stop and help, it really makes a bad situation alot easier to cope with!! You get what you give!!

Looking for somebody parting out an IQ right now......

us012708.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
I got off easy easy!

local dealer had a new black fender in stock, $80!!! Thats almost half the other dealers in town...

I also picked up some gears for my sled (18/40 allows me to retain the stock chain), a shock tower vent kit for the girls sled, derlin washers for her team secondary and some other goodies....

I see no other damage to my sled, other then the fender, amazingly the center plastic and bumper survived un-scathed.....

Last edited:

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Did you get the Delrin washers from the dealer? OEM part # or aftermarket?

S
Jan 15, 2008
Wow and Welcome

reading this post has a familiar ring to it. My family started off in almost the exact same manner with an RMK 800 with crank play so out came the entire thing for a big bearing upgrade. We also chased little gremlins along the way. In one of your previous post it showed a picture with the belt in in. A word of caution. Usually, belts are placed so that the lettering faces or may be read while standing on the left side of the machine facing forward. In the picture, yours is backwards. However, it is not a big deal so long as every time it comes off and on it comes off and on backwards. This may all be to no avail if the picture orientation is swapped and I didn't notice. Why is this important? If your alignment is off just a little bit,(read a wee hair) the belt will wear on one side more than the other. Just because the alignment is off doesn't mean the belt will or will not sqeal. Anyways, if the belt then gets turned around, we'll call it the used side, now causes the clutches to not be able to off as much grip and it only becomes a matter of time before a belt spins. So, with all that, just make sure that the belts always go back on with the lettering facing the way they came off. If I'm way out of my league here, someone please say so. Just wanted you to be able to get as much life out of the belts as possible and not have to prematurely replace one or both.
I have a 96 600 XCR and hopefully I'll have it up and running before too long. Congrats, good luck, and don't think that we won't sound off of you just because you're new to the sport. Isn't this an awesome place to figure out what the hell? and now what do I do next?

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
Thanks for that!

I read on SW last week about that exact topic.
When I remove the belts now I place them back on with the same orientation.
When I install my wifes new belt in about 30 minutes I will face the letters properly. I just rebuilt her secondary clutch and I am tearing into her primary next..

I know of the 800 crank issue's and that sucks! I just want these suckers to make it to spring (possibly May in CO LOL) and then we can tear into them deeper if needed.

We always look for the best deal because we know we can solve most problems in house, we found these 900's to be an incredible deal so far even though they will nickle and dime you!

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
On to the girls sled, checking the secondary clutch for any issues and installed 3 new derlin washers. Secondary is missing one bolt and did have some metal garring on the inside of the second sheave, I cleaned it up best I can. Found a solid red spring, cleaned sheaves with hot soapy water, removed all dust, cleaned all parts, lightly lubed jackshaft and sheave gears:
2ndry624646.jpg

2ndrystep1.jpg

2ndrystep2.jpg

2ndrystep3.jpg

2ndrystep4.jpg

2ndrystep5.jpg

Home made compressor:
2ndrycompress.jpg

Re-assembled:
2ndrydone.jpg

jackshaft cleaned and lubed:
jackshaft.jpg

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
cleaned her primary with hot soapy water, you can see a white spring with pink stripe, the mystery spring:

primryclean.jpg

added a clutch vent:
slpventholes.jpg

slpventdone.jpg

need to re-install fender with vent, then scrub and install new belt..

Hopefully it works well this weekend or I will be tearing into the primary clutch setup myself, then having it balanced. Please send $$

E
Jan 17, 2008
410 I just wanted to thank you for posting all the pictures. It really helps when trying to accomplish simular but smaller tasks!

My in-laws are in Greenwood Village, I may have to stop by sometime just so I can absorb some knowledge about my 900 from you!

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
you are welcome! I try to give back for all the help I receive

We took the sleds out on Saturday had a blast! My arms were still way sore from hitting the trees the week before so it was tough to ride, especially where we went (more advanced riding then we are used too), that forced us to skip Sunday. We had a flat tire on the trailer Saturday as well..what a PITA that is...our trailer is a $500 craigslist bargain and needs alot of work. I re-wired the entire trailer myself Friday night...all lights working now LOL!! This summer trailer will get some TLC or we will sell it in favor of a 4 place. Trailers are a PITA...we own about 5 of them now LOL

The girls 05 clutch is still a bit iffy, it engages with a clunk at like 4500 rpm, rebuilding the secondary did nothing, new belt did nothing so it's time to dig into the primary. I plan to get the tools, rebuild parts (weights, rollers, bushings, primary spring) and then have it balanced. Her sled is nearing 2000 miles so its about the right time. With the white/pink spring in there it may be the cause, if its the spring I think it is (Polaris white/red) it is WAY TOO SOFT. My clutch works so much better, my sled has the black/green primary and the red/black secondary with a 115 belt. We will likely set her clutches up the same way. We have been back and forth on whether to have a pro do our primarys or to attempt them ourselves...since we own 3 sleds and plan to keep them for a long long time I am going to dive into clutch rebuilding myself...just need the $$$ for tools :) I will leave the balancing to a pro

I am on the look out for a good used team secondary too, this gaulling in the aluminum has me worried:
2ndrystep2.jpg

could be the missing bolt (previous owner) is throwing off the balance a bit and causing problems? who knows...regardless I will likely replace the whole secondary too..... I love spare parts just running out of room!!!

torque stops on both of our 900's have seen better days as well, rubber stopper is fubared... compfusion and SLP torque arms = $$$$$$$$$$$

my sled continues to run perfect all the time no questions asked, no leaking coolant either

Cannot WAIT for this weekend...possibly hitting the Ears again!!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
Also I went to re-gear my 900 to 18/40 and found I have 19/43 in there already and the chain would not work with the 18/40

What was the stock gearing on the 05 model??????? my manual says 19/39 with a 90p chain...
May try to use the 18/40 in the girls sled......

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
410, It's been kinda enjoyable reading up on you learning about and working on/riding your new sleds. I'm hopefully getting transferred back up to CO in a few months, and can't wait. The drive from Albq to Chama or anywhere in CO is just too long! Really bites into valuable sledding time, which is even more at a premium now that we take the little ones with (5 y/0 and 1 y/o, riding in the tow behind snowcoach!).
Anyway, you're concerned about the alum galling on our 2ndary clutch. I don't have a Team clutch on my RMK, nor have I been around them much, but my OEM 2ndary clutch looks like that, always has. Little alumium shavings on the backside everytime I take it apart. Sled has over 3k mi on it now, rebuilt the 2ndary 2 or 3 times, and no issues with the aluminum. I'd say keep riding it. Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in.
Good luck!

B
Nov 21, 2005
9 Mile Falls, WA
410, I suspect the clunk you are getting at clutch engagement is from the steep helix in the secondary. The 62-46.46 helix is great for the 900 but needs more spring to work effectively. With the soft red or red/black spring your secondary is opening way to fast, and likely causing the clunk. My dad ran the same helix in his but used a black/white spring, it might be worth try to you. He also stayed with the black/green primary spring.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
I see so this likely is not a 05 900 stock secondary or helix?? the red spring must be SLP thats the only secondary spring I can find online that is solid red
I assume the white/black is SLP as well? I will have to research

Thanks for all the input it helps a great deal
How much is a used team secondary in primo shape worth? $50??

Last edited:
P
Nov 27, 2007
I can't believe what you have learned and attemped in a very short period of time.

How did you remove the fender rivets? I think they are the push through type and did you replace them with the same rivets?

Premium Features