• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twins! 2ea 05 900 159 RMK's - new owners

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
From the old forum here is my introduction thread
Basically we picked up two 05 900 159 RMK's and a 96 600 triple 136 because we have wanted to get our own sleds for many years and finally had the ability.:

http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/messageview.cfm?catid=89&threadid=340146

I found Snowest and was very impressed with this forum.
I am a moderator over at explorer4x4.com and frequent many off road and Ford ranger based truck forums

I have been doing ALOT of research about these sleds, done quite a bit of fixing and fiddling and well finally we got to really ride them this last weekend.

We drove up to Rabbit Ears pass last Sat morning, we rode from about 3pm Saturday until the sun went down
We rode Sunday from 11 am till about 4:30 PM

Wow what ALOT of work!
Learning to turn was interesting to say the least, learning to turn the sled over in the powder and countersteer was very interesting as well.
Digging sleds out of gullys and ditches is also entertaining LOL

Julee went into a ditch first and put her sled on its side, the only way to get it back on the trail was to dig and pull it through a big *** ditch.
The second day I got off course in some deep powder and also, down into a ravine..it took us two hours to get my sled back up the hill.

I did have issues with my SLP air intake box sucking up powder and causing my sled to have hard starting and idle/power issues. That was fun when trying to get it out of the ditch :)

Julees RMK has the Timber intake on it and had no issues with the deep stuff.

We learned ALOT about what we are in for with these big machines.
By the end of yesterday I had it down pretty good, I was so tired I kept falling off, my treads were full of slush so it was hard to get a foot planted..but I am now able to turn pretty well. Julee is getting it, but she was also tired and as you can imagine her trying to learn how to turn a 500# sled with a 159 track is not so easy :) She'll get it though no problem.

My impression of these machines is WOW
Way different then the sleds we used to rent or borrow
The suspension is great, they soak up the whoops like ridiculous, jumps, etc

the power is sick, on a flat road I got up to 68 MPH no problem I didnt want to push past that. Julee says she hit 58 and was at 3/4 throttle.

we have alot to learn, but in one weekend we learned ALOT

on the way home in Silverthorne we got a flat on our trailer...took me about an hour in the snow on the side of th ehighway to get it changed....that sure was fun at the end of a long hard weekend.

what a friggin blast!

We didnt get any still shots, only video
But I will post what I can of the sleds and our first trip out.

Rabbit Ears pass has about 18" of powder on top of no base.
The trail was about 1 mile long, until us newbies found a spot we didnt want to attempt to sidehill and we turned around

We were VERY thankful others had gone before us, we are in no way ready to be the ones breaking trail...as we both found out the hard way!

we need sno bungies for SURE and alot more seat time

My sled needs something done about that intake, I scooped snow out of the nose and tried to remove as much built up ice as I could from the screen on the front of the SLP box and the stock Polaris "grill"

With the mods done to my sled it also seems to have a difficult time sitting at idle, the stator does not produce enough power at the low idle and the display will keep resetting, also the reverse is very difficult to get it work, it dies just about every single time. I pretty much gave up on my reverse

Julee's sled runs perfectly

I am going to get some pictures posted later
I need to search the forum to see if I can answer some of the questions I have now, I am curious about the oil consumption of our sleds
We have some adjusting to do as well.

Julee could benefit from a handle bar riser to help her with turning, her sled ran at about 130 degrees the whole time, mine ran below 100 degrees most of the time. They both have a few mods to them but it raises alot of questions about just what was done to each...

I figure the snow packed intake may have kept my sled running a bit too cool

We did not get to take the 96 600 with us on this trip

Cant wait till next weekend and MORE SNOW

it seems we got lucky, after watching the forums and weather we picked a very good spot and a very good first weekend to go to.

Last edited:
B
Sep 3, 2004
SW MN
www.itctel.com
Get the TPS sensor set............that was the problem with mine and it works great now. Some get the slp tuning just because it is a little bit better than stock. I found out with a few mods and the boondocker controller took care of the vibs, but it is also a big motor also. Snow bunjies work great. Get some more seat time and you will like them. They are different than the other old chassies. I have the fire n ice air intake have zero issues with mine also. Get a pipe and can combo but not slp's can you loose power. HGT has a nice setup and have heard of the slp pipe and cpi can. And air vents and clutching are the biggest things.

Patrick

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
thanks for the advice!

Our sleds were already well modifed when we bought them
here's the run down:

Mine:
05 900 RMK 159 with 1200 miles
All factory updates performed
Xtreme performance RMK power package: high compression head, modified stock pipe, SLP can, SLP intake, green spring in clutch, radiator delete, slp belt guard, computer update
clutch side vent
3" bar riser
lefty throttle (removed for now until I can fit it better)
Holz upper and lower control arms
ice scratchers
sway bar removed
idler wheels removed
aftermarket belt

Hers:
05 900 RMK 159 with 1400 miles
all factory updates performed
SLP can and pipe
USI skis
radiator delete
flow rights installed all over
clutch and exhaust side vents
sway bar removed
timber intake and belt guard
white spring in clutch

maintenece performed / additional mods:
changed fluid in chaincases, used Mobil synth gear lube
new oil filters
decals removed (all both sleds)
Powermadd hand guards
fuel filters
new intake boots (hers so far)
new exhaust gaskets (hers so far)
cleaned chasis, bulkheads, and engines
new champion plugs
Pilot blue headlights (mine so far)

So far pretty damn happy with our purchase, this is one expensive sport! (just like our other hobbies)

Need GPS, CB's, probes, and beacons, also boots
other then that we are getting well equipped, already have helmets, goggles, shovels, packs, emergency provisions, etc....

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
My 06 900 would die when I tried putting it into reverse too the tps wasn't working properly because the throttle lever was to loose.

D

dmj1

Jul 31, 2007
I would keep the slp intake
I have had my slp intake for 3800km's and I ride in the deepest
snow there is . I have put k&n pre filter material over the front grill
and made sure it was sealed well.then the snow wont pile up under the hood.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
great advice, the area behind the factory grill in front of the slp pre filter material was packed with slush/snow then when all the screening got wet it froze and I imagine really restricted air flow

I was thinking this area could also be fed with some under hood air quite easily, as well as sealing up the nose of the sled.
I know the guys at xtreme performance here in CO really know their machines and this machine was their demo...so I figure the SLP intake can work good in the deep snow, they know more then me

But getting my sled stuck in a ditch for 2 hours I am sure packed some nice snow in there, I will seal it up best I can before the next ride.

I imagine you removed the factory screen and replaced it with the K&N material?

I am working on getting some still shots from the video we took....there is some funny chit! I imagine it was quite obvious we are new to these monster sleds LOL

D

dmj1

Jul 31, 2007
there is a picture of the hood intake on this polaris form
2 nd page under" 900rmk mod sled'

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
On your powder snow ingestion problem SLP suggests that you silicone around the headlight ( this will make it no longer adjustable ) and cover the adgustment knob with duct tape also they say to silicone around the belly pan seam and along the bumper to belly pan and also the gap between the bumper and belly pan around the nose of the sled. Go to www.Startinglineproducts.com and click on technical info and this is in 900 tuning tips and technical update 900 slp air box.Also the 900's do use alot of oil but in some cases the cable sticks some guys spray the cable with brake cleaner to clean it and then hit it with the air compressor to dry it.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
1. Get rid of the SLP cans, many people claim they loose power for some reason.

2. I think you've go the wrong primary spring in both of your 900's. Most people like the tan colored spring. How about the helix in your secondaries? Should be a 22/44/66.

3. Redrain both of your chaincases and refill them with chaincase lube or ATF, I use Amsoil syn ATF. Gear lube is thick and adds parasetic drag, plus some guys think ATF actually slows down chain wear.

4. Regear. I remember your thread on the old forums, and with you being into 4x4's you know gearing. You basically have moderate "highway" gearing stock. Step down to either 18/40 or 19/43 (same ratio, different chains) and it will feel like you threw in 4.56's in place of 3.73's with a set of 36" TSL's on a 4x4. The first number refers to the number of sprocket teeth on the top gear and the second number is the teeth count on the bottom sprocket. Going 18/40 should let you reuse the stock chain and bottom 40 sprocket.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
1. Get rid of the SLP cans, many people claim they loose power for some reason.

Many people also claim the 900 is a POS but have never been on one or tested them.

410 Looks like you got some great sleds enjoy them also there is tons or info on here and mostly in the old forum about the 900's great sleds you just have to keep an eye on some small things to keep them up to snuff. Other than that gas them up and have fun. Also a great sport to keep any money from getting old and moldy. Have fun!!!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've never heard of the SLP cans robbing power ....?

How do they do that?

I know the SLP can I just put on wasn't anywhere near as light or loud (not complaining about it not being loud at all though) as I thought it'd be, but I don't see how I'm going to lose power because of the can ... the pipe I can see changing the powerband on the motor yes, but just the silencer you shouldn't lose or gain any power at all with that really.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
okay add to the list, we are taking them out again this weekend

I installed new champion RN57YCC plugs gapped to .028 in both sleds

The old plugs looked pretty good, as far as color and gap

I also adjusted my TPS, I found mine was set at 3.99V full throttle so I adjusted it to 4.15

I used the Radio Shack trick I found here on Snowest, hell yes

I found an old spark plug in the chasis of my sled also, along with some metal fragments in the belly pad (under the engine)
I was digging in there with a magnet for an exhaust spring I dropped.

Something on this sled went kablooey at one point in time....hopefully its all been fixed right... time will tell

Sled seems to idle better now, but hard to tell with it being 60 in my garage
The throttle cable is a bit sticky on my sled, it has a leftys installed and the throttle lever was a bit loose. I lubed both cables (throttle and oiler) so hopefully that buys some time

Now to blow out the chasis and clutch with air then shes ready to run

I would like to install new fuel filters in both sleds, have not had time to find them in the manual yet.
Also my sled the lights and gages do not light up at idle, I have to rev it up just a bit for them to come on...could this be a weak stator? relay wiring?

Any ideas on that?

Thanks for all the advice I am reading, clutching and gearing will come next.
I picked up two chaincase gaskets so I can get both covers off, clean up in there and re-libe with ATF. I plan to cover both of the OEM covers with the heat guard material, they are quite close to the SLP cans.

I am installing a 3" riser on Julee's sled next, then laoding them up for another run

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
WOW

these things run amazing, its crazy power and the places they will go....

needless to say we had a great time.

I found people on the trail and in the lot to be very friendly and helpful for the most part.
We ran into a group of 3 guys Sat afternoon that took time away from their riding to try and help Julee and I with our turning and deep POW. That was aot of fun. I got to ride his 700 dragon with a 151 track I believe, I actually found it to be just about as hard to turn over as my 900. He is telling me I dont have to stand on one side of the sled to get it to turn, I still think I do on my 900...switching over the seat constantly to help tip the sled.

Julee is turning the 900 very well, she can really handle that sucker for only 3.5 days seat time. She is talking about "I need a smaller sled" but is not giving up just yet. It didnt help we spent Sunday digging and digging, and pushing, etc.... In the powder she is having no troubles...except for a rock! she took out some plastic on the muffler side LOL I am getting really good at pushing the 900 out of a hole. The 96 600 was not meant for the terrain we had it in and it was obvious..

The POW is where these suckers shine, wow
The whoops on the main trail is awesome, the IQ just sucks up the bumps, I am very impressed

However we did spend most of Sunday (read 6 hours) digging sleds out, all day long we were getting stuck and un stuck. Too far into the trees on the side of the mountain, sun is going down etc. takes the fun out of it real quick

I got to try my hand at a hill climb late in the day, I made it 3/4 of the way up and was getting ready to try and turn when I hit a small rock and stopped forward progress LOL, I flipped the sled over which was pretty easy given its angle, and rode it down the hill (kinda) It was quite impressive hahaha

We made it back to the truck with all 3 sleds with about 45 min of sunlight left

We learned ALOT about snowmobiling this weekend. :)

It was obvious to me that the new plugs, lubing the throttle cables, and the other general maintenence I did really helped these things run this weekend. I had no snow/SLP intake issues, the 900's didnt miss a beat. The vibrations are a non issue to me, its not that noticable unless they are at idle. Julee now has 3" risers on her bars, I think they helped her turn the 900 all weekend long
I am putting her sled on a diet...mine has had alot of factory stuff removed and it runs just fine even with powder up over the nose.

my reverse is not working, my sled runs below 100 degrees and it it will not idle (for long) unless its at 1200 rpm or more
The reverse worked last week so I will check the wiring
Do I need to adjust the idle screw on the linkage or what? I wonder why my 900 doesnt like to idle
Could I not be reaching closed loop? My sled never gets over 90 degrees, I figured 130 is normal operating temp?

Julee's sled runs perfect, all day long, pull it starts, stays running, runs at 120-130

We did some carnage to the sleds this weekend, I am sore I do not think I have ever exerted myself that much in one day before LOL, good training for sure. Cannot WAIT to get some more seat time, very impressed with this machine, its like a huge dirtbike/jet ski with crotch rocket power, so sick

Still need to post some pics.

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
"By the end of yesterday I had it down pretty good, I was so tired I kept falling off, my treads were full of slush so it was hard to get a foot planted..but I am now able to turn pretty well."

You should look at installing snoweliminators or whatever they're calling them lately. F-bomb sells them here. No more slush or snow build up so you'll have foot traction all day. One of the best mods I've done to my 900.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
hell yes those are nice, the slush buildup when in the powder or digging out is alot to deal with, makes it hard to stand on the sled = not good.

It appears they require alot of rivet cutting and new rivets to install them?

I am trying to figure out how to take still shots from some of our video so I can post pictures. new camera = new software = learning curve...I'll get it

Its snowing all over CO right now :) please send $$$

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
Not sure about the "better boards" but the snow eliminators were very easy to install. I marked out the openings from front to back and cut out the whole area with recip saw. Clamped the eliminators in place and then drilled and riveted into place. There were a few dimples in the running boards that I flattened so there wasn't a gap. I would assume that the better boards are very similar.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Hey 410, your reverse issue is very likely the TPS setting. These are different than the old 800's . You need to get 0.94 V at idle position. I think the older ones were looking for a setting at WOT. If the computer doesn't see the 0.94V at idle it won't allow reverse. Get that set right and it should work better.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
wow

okay so the proceedure I went through setting my TPS to 4.15 volts (at WO throttle) with my home made tester is for the older Polaris?
I should see .94 at idle or I wont get reverse...

I have also heard there is a stop switch (kill switch) built into the throttle lever that can cause some issues if your thumb throttle is loose? My lever is no longer loose, it was...the previous owner had a lefty's installed, it was kind of half assed the way it was installed so I removed it and kept it (in case I decide to use it in the future)

I will have to see what the voltage is at closed throttle...thanks for the advice!
My sled runs tits except if you leave it running for a bit it will die and it runs below 100 degrees all day long no matter what

should it be reaching 130 or something so the computer can switch to closed loop?

it seems to idle okay when first started off the trailer

Last edited:

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Yes the procedure is different. The older models used a WOT procedure, the 900 is a baseline voltage setting at idle. The computer needs to see this so it doesn't allow reverse to engage at anything more than idle speed, make sense? Your homemade tester will work fine. I will verify the procedure in my manual tonight if I get a chance to get out to the garage. You may find it in the archives from the old site as well, there is lots of TPS talk there. I had the same sort of issues when mine was off, no reverse, would not stay running at idle, and only worked at WOT.
Good luck and post results so I know you got it solved.
Cheers,

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Here you go. This is for the Liberty 900 only, the 700/800's is a different procedure.

TPS CHECKING PROCEDURE
If you are replacing or setting the baseline for the TPS these steps will need to be followed in order to ensure proper operation.
ELECTRICAL CHECK
1. Disconnect the TPS sensor.
2. Install the TPS tester kit PN 2201519.
3. Verify that the wires are connected correctly or faulty readings will result.
4. Verify that the 9 Volt battery is good by inserting the BLACK volt meter probe into the terminal above the black wire on the
TPS tool. Place the RED probe from your meter into the terminal above the pink wire on the TPS tool. Turn the meter to the
VDC scale. the voltage should read 4.99 -- 5.01 VDC. If not try a known good 9 volt battery.
5. Set your multi--meter to VDC.
6. Hook the TPS tool to the TPS.
7. Measure and record the voltage reading at idle.
8. The indicated voltage should read .920 -- .940VDC. If it is, the TPS sensor is set correctly and should not need to be adjusted.
Continue to step 18.
9. Remove the throttle cable from the throttle body.
10. Loosen the lock nut on the idle set screw and back off the idle set screw until it separates from the lever tab.
11. The voltage reading should be .709 -- .711VDC. If your voltage reading at this point is not .709 -- .711VDC, loosen up theTPS
sensor screws and rotate the TPS sensor until you get a .709 -- .712 VDC reading.
12. When you tighten the TPS screws your voltage readingmay change. The TPSvoltage readingwill have to be correctwhen the
screws are at the torqued setting.
13. If you can not obtain any of these voltage measurements go to page 4.26 and reset the throttle body base line.
14. Thread in the idle set screw clockwise until you get a voltage reading of .920 -- .940 VDC. Now lock the lock nut.
15. When you tighten the lock your voltage reading may change. The TPS voltage reading will have to be correct when the lock
nut is at the torqued setting.
16. The TPS is now set.
17. Remove the TPS tool and replace the TPS connector to the TPS sensor.
18. Test run the engine. If engine issues persist go to step 10.
19. If you test the engine after setting both voltage readings and issues still are present, re--set the throttle body base line on page

NOTE: The 900 Liberty engine TPS is set at .92 -- .94 volts at idle.

Premium Features