• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

the true details of fernie slides from start to finish

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
It makes me angry that their local papers would suggest they left their friends behind, when ultimately that was the right thing to do. God bless those envolved and the small town so affected by this.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
Just spent Christmas in Sparwood at my families place, can't imagine the feeling in that valley right now such a tight community.
Thanks for the detailed story...
Thoughts and prayers for everyone.

S
Nov 29, 2008
Falkland BC
a bad bad deal ! it's something all mountain riders have in the back of their heads, at least they recovered all of their bodies, I lost a friend in an avvy in 91, his body was never found. My heart goes out to all those involved.

R
Nov 16, 2002
Forest Grove, OR
just imagine having your entire crew wiped out ...buddies friends and kin ....especialy if you have ridden together for years ....just try to

Exaclty. I think of that everytime someone I know wants to get into this sport. I don't ever want to be the one who introduces someone to this life and then have something like this happen. We make our own choices, but you have to live with them! Let's be safe guys. And girls.

RF

M
Dec 16, 2008
Denver
Fernie

As with the Grand Lake tragedy, and this one, the number 1 lesson I have learned is have your gear on your person! I since friday have purchased a new back pack that will accomodate my shovel and probe, with much quicker accessability now. And, as always, wear the beacon on your body. It's no good if it's in your pack and your buried 20 feet away. My thoughts go out to the victims families, and I hope everyone will be just a little more careful.
Friends in snowmobiling, Mr. SKI-DOO

S
Dec 17, 2001
Hillsboro, OR
Thoughts and prayers to all involved. Just reading that makes me sick to my stomach, I can't imagine having to make that decision.:brokenheart::( Be safe everyone, with this much snow so quickly the avy danger is going to remain high for quite awhile. Take care!!!

Semi

Premium Features