• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

‘I could still be the one out there’: Snowmobiler rescued, 1 missing

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
that right there is absolute golden advice.

i have ridden with several guys twice in the same day, First and Last ride.
If you don’t give a crap about anything but yourself, I won’t be riding with you again.
There are plenty of guys out there that can outride the crap out of me but they are always right there to help and encourage when anyone needs help.
Right after we take pictures of you of course...;)

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Probably the best thing about the forum rides is even on the first one, riding my old (old) sled, somebody stuck with me and nobody complained if/when I was an anchor for the group. I had some experience and mostly knew how to stay out of trouble, but it could have taken a decade or longer of the kind of riding I'd been doing, or lucking into the right riding group, to make the progress I have in the last three seasons. In terms of technical riding, I'm still a rank amateur, but I've taken significant steps in what I can do and where I can go. I'd probably forget half the people who helped out, so I won't try to list them. It is eye-opening to ride with people who aren't just skilled riders, but who see things like offering tips and even digging out or circling back to help someone out of a bind as just part of the adventure. Having people like that to ride with is a major boost; now if only I could find one hiding out closer to home!

Anyway, something I picked up on coming from an aviation background is the group dynamics, basically the same core concept as crew resource management in flying. A couple of the right guys in a group make a huge difference in keeping the herd together and making sure everyone is having fun. A couple lone rangers (especially if they aren't as good as they think they are) have the opposite effect. Back-country riding doesn't lend itself well to big groups though; too many riders is just inviting trouble at some point. I've also had the experience of a group straight-up ditching me on one of my earliest rides. I get it, nobody wants to baby-sit, but I definitely squint a little at guys who preach "never ride alone," but wouldn't cross the street to help out someone outside their crew. As that new guy though, you're not necessarily dead weight to the group: showing some initiative, following the leader, and being predictable make you a lot easier to ride with. Being at the level I am, I don't expect to lead a group of experienced riders any time soon, but I still take asking a question or throwing the "maybe we shouldn't be doing this" flag as my responsibility.

One thing that occurred to me recently is that in back-country riding, I experience for the first time in a while what the students I instruct often do: that sense you get when you're trying to do something well outside your comfort range, sometimes going past one's raw ability. It's a delicate thing because too much too soon and you'll just flounder, but sometimes being given some new tools, then pushed into the deep end is the only way to get to that "ah ha!" moment. It's just as rewarding to coach someone through that as it is to come through it yourself – it's why, after years of instructing the same maneuvers over and over, I still enjoy it. Not sure I'll ever be at the same level as I am flying a Texan II, but as long as I'm having fun, I'm going to keep trying and keep spreading it around!

Nightsider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2019
Castle Rock, WA
Probably the best thing about the forum rides is even on the first one, riding my old (old) sled, somebody stuck with me and nobody complained if/when I was an anchor for the group. I had some experience and mostly knew how to stay out of trouble, but it could have taken a decade or longer of the kind of riding I'd been doing, or lucking into the right riding group, to make the progress I have in the last three seasons. In terms of technical riding, I'm still a rank amateur, but I've taken significant steps in what I can do and where I can go. I'd probably forget half the people who helped out, so I won't try to list them. It is eye-opening to ride with people who aren't just skilled riders, but who see things like offering tips and even digging out or circling back to help someone out of a bind as just part of the adventure. Having people like that to ride with is a major boost; now if only I could find one hiding out closer to home!

Anyway, something I picked up on coming from an aviation background is the group dynamics, basically the same core concept as crew resource management in flying. A couple of the right guys in a group make a huge difference in keeping the herd together and making sure everyone is having fun. A couple lone rangers (especially if they aren't as good as they think they are) have the opposite effect. Back-country riding doesn't lend itself well to big groups though; too many riders is just inviting trouble at some point. I've also had the experience of a group straight-up ditching me on one of my earliest rides. I get it, nobody wants to baby-sit, but I definitely squint a little at guys who preach "never ride alone," but wouldn't cross the street to help out someone outside their crew. As that new guy though, you're not necessarily dead weight to the group: showing some initiative, following the leader, and being predictable make you a lot easier to ride with. Being at the level I am, I don't expect to lead a group of experienced riders any time soon, but I still take asking a question or throwing the "maybe we shouldn't be doing this" flag as my responsibility.

One thing that occurred to me recently is that in back-country riding, I experience for the first time in a while what the students I instruct often do: that sense you get when you're trying to do something well outside your comfort range, sometimes going past one's raw ability. It's a delicate thing because too much too soon and you'll just flounder, but sometimes being given some new tools, then pushed into the deep end is the only way to get to that "ah ha!" moment. It's just as rewarding to coach someone through that as it is to come through it yourself – it's why, after years of instructing the same maneuvers over and over, I still enjoy it. Not sure I'll ever be at the same level as I am flying a Texan II, but as long as I'm having fun, I'm going to keep trying and keep spreading it around!
So well said buddy !!! Elkaholic for life has been such a great and inspiring FRIEND to me and has done so much to help bring my skill level up I can't say enough !!! And the rest of the guys I have met & rode on this forum are just the best !!! As you know already !!! My hat's off to them !!! And Turbo lover thankyou pal !!

Premium Features