• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

‘I could still be the one out there’: Snowmobiler rescued, 1 missing

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A rider carves a path on Yanks Peak Saturday, Nov. 21. Two men from Prince George went missing on the mountain the next day. One of them, Colin Jalbert, made it back after digging out his sled from four feet under the snow. The other, Mike Harbak, is still missing. Local search and rescue teams went out looking Monday, Nov. 23. (Sam Fait Photo)

A rider carves a path on Yanks Peak Saturday, Nov. 21. Two men from Prince George went missing on the mountain the next day. One of them, Colin Jalbert, made it back after digging out his sled from four feet under the snow. The other, Mike Harbak, is still missing. Local search and rescue teams went out looking Monday, Nov. 23. (Sam Fait Photo)

‘I could still be the one out there’: Snowmobiler rescued, 1 missing on northern B.C. mountain

As Quesnel search and rescue teams search for the remaining rider, Colin Jalbert is resting at home

When Colin Jalbert bought a used snowmobile last week, the original owner threw in a shovel.

Just a few days later, the Prince George resident was desperately using that shovel to dig out his sled on Yanks Peak near Wells.

Jalbert was among a group of 20 riders from Prince George who arrived at the mountain around 9:30 a.m. on Nov. 22. When they reached the top of the mountain, Jalbert lost control of his sled and was separated from the group. Another member of the group, Mike Harbak, was also separated and remains missing. Wells RCMP, Prince George, Quesnel and Williams Lake Search and Rescue crews and the Wells Snowmobile Club are still searching for Harbak today.

“I just went for a little rip, hit a drift and my handlebars were loose so when I landed I couldn’t hold my line and ended up having to follow another trail that led into the trees,” said Jalbert, who added it was his first time mountain riding. “As a new mountain rider, I got way in over my head. It bottle-necked uphill between some tree, I hesitated for a second and got stuck in a really s***** spot.”

Jalbert could hear his group’s sleds in the distance, but terrifyingly, they couldn’t hear his screaming or whistles. He had a beacon, avalanche pack, and some basic survival gear, but wishes he had brought a radio.

“I could hear them going by in the distance but they couldn’t hear me over the sleds,” he said. “I used my whistle and screamed but nothing [happened] so I just kept digging. I was determined to get the hell outta there.”

Although Jalbert had spent a lot of time riding before, it was always on groomed trails and rivers in Ontario. He wasn’t prepared for getting buried in five feet of snow.

“I literally had to dig all around my sled to get it turned around and make a path to get out and back on top of the snow and by then it was 4 p.m.,” he said. “I shovelled for I think four to five hours non-stop. Worse come to worst I was going to make a shelter and start a fire.”

After digging a 100-square-foot hole to extract the snowmobile, an exhausted Jalbert made the trek back to his truck.

“It was getting dark and starting to snow. Not gonna lie, I was scared and I was soaked from sweating,” he said. “I feel horrible for leaving someone out there but with my level of experience there would have been both of us stuck out there.”

Jalbert said it was a tough way to learn that snowmobiling in the mountains takes different skills than normal riding and mastering slopes and terrain can be tricky.

“Mountain riding isn’t as easy as it looks and I got a reality check really quickly on how fast things can go sideways. [It’s] not to be taken lightly,” he said. “I could be the one still out there.”

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Haha.
Yes, I said that. Suck a bick. Bahahahaha

C
Nov 29, 2008
3 to 5 riders is perfect ....any more and it becomes harder to keep track and fewer makes it much harder if you have a problem. 3 or 4 is our preference. 15 to 20 just plain sucks and makes it real easy to lose track.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I have found that the LARGER the group, the EASIER it is to LOSE someone!
You have heard me when we ride on these larger group rides. Before we leave the parking lot, who is your riding buddy today? Don’t leave the mountain without him. This article from his story really demonstrates the importance of that. A lot of times I get the oh you are just overreacting looks, but in large group rides the most experienced have to step up and educate the less experienced. No brother should ever be left behind!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
3 to 5 riders is perfect ....any more and it becomes harder to keep track and fewer makes it much harder if you have a problem. 3 or 4 is our preference. 15 to 20 just plain sucks and makes it real easy to lose track.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
I think one of the hardest rides I ever had was at the 40th Anniversary SnoWest Part where they gave me some 20 or so total strangers and asked me to take them out to play in the woods.

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
Good info! Good reminders. We go for great fun, laughs and entertainment. But deep down we know that there dang well is a plan if it gets rough. Bringing new guys is tricky but a sense of responsibility must kick in for the more experienced guys to keep your eyes peeled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Last season last in a group of 20 riders. Left behind ... group figured it out when sat down for dinner at the cabin !!!
I went to each intersection backtracking using GPS with group no where in sight. Waited repeat. So couple hours by myself back to the cabin.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
You NEVER come out without EVERYONE. I get big groups can be tough, but there is no excuse for this. Have a head count every time you stop. Pair up. Have a leader and someone riding drag. If everyone doesn’t like that then split into smaller groups at the truck. Use radios. I have a few cheap hand held midlands I bought at wal mart just to loan out to extra guys in the group without radios. A few years ago I was riding drag coming out after dark on a very long ride when I ran out of gas. It’s a lonely feeling watching those lights disappear at 10 below. Missed me at the first stop and came back. No big deal, but it would have been a long night alone.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
our rule you are responsible for the person behind you... if you don't see them you stop

As the youngest/strongest back in my group I've spent a fair amount of time as the last man. Guys I ride with usually check back every 5-10 minutes. I'm the first one to break out a shovel or pull skis so I've always expected people to keep an eye out for me too. Luckily I've never been disappointed or let down.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
As the youngest/strongest back in my group I've spent a fair amount of time as the last man. Guys I ride with usually check back every 5-10 minutes. I'm the first one to break out a shovel or pull skis so I've always expected people to keep an eye out for me too. Luckily I've never been disappointed or let down.

I need you to ride with us....

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I am fortunate this sport has been pay it forward for me. I was the dumb ass kid always stuck or lost in the beginning. My dads friends gave my hell, but they looked after me. Years passed and experience gained and I was one of the dig them out “hell givers”, but we looked out for each other. Now I am the old man and the studs look out for me. Several young guys have got into riding with our group. I have told them all the same thing. Buy a sled and I will loan you gear until you can buy your own and I will haul your sled in my trailer.

If your buddies don’t look out for you, get new buddies. If you aren’t willing to look out for your riding companions whether you have rode with them for years or today is the first day, take up skiing. There is no place for you in snowmobiling.
Getting off my soapbox.

Last edited:

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
yesterday we got separated (g-daughter and me) from the other 4 riders for about 45 minutes... it was my fault but they were looking for us and we finally got within radio range and we got back together pretty quick then...

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
If your buddies don’t look out for you, get new buddies. If you aren’t willing to look out for your riding companions whether you have rode with them for years or today is the first day, take up skiing. There is no place for you in snowmobiling.
that right there is absolute golden advice.

i have ridden with several guys twice in the same day, First and Last ride.
If you don’t give a crap about anything but yourself, I won’t be riding with you again.
There are plenty of guys out there that can outride the crap out of me but they are always right there to help and encourage when anyone needs help.

Premium Features