• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should i buy a 06 900

S
Dec 1, 2008
Eagle, CO
hey my name is eric and i was wondering if i should buy a 06 900 with a 975 kit in it with a pipe reeds and more??? i herd the 9's wernt reliable is that true let me know??!!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
1. Search. TONS of threads on here about them.
2. Are you good with a wrench? That question will be your answer to buying the 900.

When they're set up well and running strong, they're one of the best machines out there IMO. A bit on the heavy side but they'll hang with almost anything.

When they break, they're a b*tch to fix. Some poorly designed parts went into that thing.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Find one that is tricked out already like lightweight parts, pipe/can, radiator delete because that is what you'll end up doing in the end. Oh, and clutching is a must.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
I love mine but like Mule said you might need to use a wrench a few times. Week after I had mine I sent the clutch to Indy Dan to have it changed and set for the 1115 belt. Have not had a problem except for when I snapped the Motor mount bolts.

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
so you want a reliable sled so you thought, i should look at the worst designed mountain sled that almost put polaris out of the market AND on top of that it has a big bore??

ummm... my answer would be no

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I say no because you started the post with your name.
(I had to come up with a reason)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
ok..first off buddy,try using the search box above..its a pain but it will still get you where you need..

here ar esome helpful links to read that covered teh same question..

but like stated above..if you love to wrench, and spend hours on your 900 like the rest of us die hard 900 owners..DO IT..if your not mechanically skilled, then NO..your call..

but as for me...i WILL NOT get rid of mine...nothing non-turbo'rd will touch it..

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89058

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90886

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112723

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Uhh... NO.

sled_guy

Ignore sled_guy's comments. He's been bashing the 900 forever. I don't know if it's because he can't figure out how to set them up or what. Like other's have said, if you're not mechanically-inclined, then it might not be the sled for you. They do have their issues, but what new sled doesn't ??? My '06 900 has been a great sled. It'll hang with any normally aspirated sled out there and beat many of them. Four seasons and close to 4,000 miles and it did not let me down once. Mine's getting an engine overhaul this summer, but just as a precautionary measure. It still runs like a champ.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Unless you are pretty good at wrenching on things, I'd recommend staying away from it. If you can get it for a steal and are really good at setting up sleds and know what you're getting into and what it will take to make it work, then go for it, you can turn them into pretty decent sleds with some money and elbow grease.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Ignore sled_guy's comments. He's been bashing the 900 forever. I don't know if it's because he can't figure out how to set them up or what. Like other's have said, if you're not mechanically-inclined, then it might not be the sled for you. They do have their issues, but what new sled doesn't ??? My '06 900 has been a great sled. It'll hang with any normally aspirated sled out there and beat many of them. Four seasons and close to 4,000 miles and it did not let me down once. Mine's getting an engine overhaul this summer, but just as a precautionary measure. It still runs like a champ.

Yup, I don't know anything, my opinion doesn't matter... High Velocity knows me so well.

Yup, I hate the 900s... but then again what do I know... nothing I suppose.

Read Dogmeat's post very carefully, understand everything he says, and then make your decision. Maybe you could even ask him what he means by things like "pretty good at wrenching", "get it for a steal", "really good at setting up sleds", "pretty decent sled" and most importantly "with some money and elbow grease".

Dogmeat has experience with all of these things as they apply to the 900 so listen to him to make your decision.

As for me, I still think Polaris should have recalled all the 900s and crushed them. :)

sled_guy

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
buy the 06 975

I have 2100 miles on my 06 900 166. It's been a great sled. I'm rebuilding the engine with a updated Polaris crank because I wanted to do a top end anyway. The inside of my engine looked great and very well could have gone a couple more seasons. Its got great power and think a 975 would be a monster. Just buy it you will thank me this winter. Not all sleds are perfect out of the box. I wouldn't think of trading my 900 for one of the 08's or 09's 800's only a 08 or 09 M1000, I've seen what those bad boys can do.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Yup, I don't know anything, my opinion doesn't matter... High Velocity knows me so well.

Yup, I hate the 900s... but then again what do I know... nothing I suppose.

Read Dogmeat's post very carefully, understand everything he says, and then make your decision. Maybe you could even ask him what he means by things like "pretty good at wrenching", "get it for a steal", "really good at setting up sleds", "pretty decent sled" and most importantly "with some money and elbow grease".

Dogmeat has experience with all of these things as they apply to the 900 so listen to him to make your decision.

As for me, I still think Polaris should have recalled all the 900s and crushed them. :)

sled_guy

Maybe he should look into everything you say as well? From all of your posts I've seen over the years, you seem like a guy that's angry for whatever reason and will Just NOT let it go.
---------------

I mean no offence to Dogmeat, but he either got the worst 900 ever,
or he doesn't know what he is doing either to have the number of problems he as had, and showcased to us here for help. So if you look into his posts you'll get a unnecessarily bleak outlook.
---------------

These sled have a non traditional engine and many seasoned riders were reluctant to adjust to it and the IQ chassis. I think that's where a lot of the problems are from.
From personal experience, we've basically had two 'pull and go' 900s. And my only issue is with the chassis, not the engine.

Premium Features