• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should i buy a 06 900

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Maybe he should look into everything you say as well? From all of your posts I've seen over the years, you seem like a guy that's angry for whatever reason and will Just NOT let it go.

Probably so. I just have issues with people painting a rosy picture about these sleds. Yup, some people got lucky with them... but Polaris pulled them after only 2 season to go back to a 700 sled. They pulled the plug on the 3rd season 900 at the last minute because someone woke up finally. That says a lot about this sled.

If you get one that isn't good or has issues then it's a friggin' money pit... there are more than a couple of people here on Snowest that have experienced that.

And there are a couple of issues that will never be able to be fixed. If you have tolerance for that then by all means spend your money.

But why is it that people want me to drop my "I don't like them" attitude when those that "love" them won't drop that view?

I know, I'm affecting resale because people who don't know about this POS get educated and then don't get suckered in to paying too much, if anything, for one.

There are other sleds I dislike just as much... but fortunately they are no longer being offered around much.

The most irritating thing (ok maybe not the most, but one of them) about the 900 is that Polaris knew for at least 2 years that it was a hopeless cause yet they kept pushing it...

Oh forget it, I'm just going to get people's undies in a wad.

sledneck1, read all the posts you can find on the 900... not just the ones that are negative or just the ones that are positive. Then call you local Polaris dealer that you trust... and if you don't have one of them then call Tri-City in Utah or Carl's Cycle in Boise and ask their service manager's opinion.

Then decide.

sled_guy

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I just can't get over your website. It makes me both sad and happy depending on one's pont of view.

http://www.polarisindustriessucks.com/

I don't know who specifically at Polaris designs the crank but if the same team (that made the 800 and 900 cranks from 2000-2006) is still there, senior management needs to wake up and feel the vibration.

The cases on the 900 are very thin compared to previous years.

How are the cases in future production years for the 700 - 800?

Probably so. I just have issues with people painting a rosy picture about these sleds. Yup, some people got lucky with them... but Polaris pulled them after only 2 season to go back to a 700 sled. They pulled the plug on the 3rd season 900 at the last minute because someone woke up finally. That says a lot about this sled.

If you get one that isn't good or has issues then it's a friggin' money pit... there are more than a couple of people here on Snowest that have experienced that.

And there are a couple of issues that will never be able to be fixed. If you have tolerance for that then by all means spend your money.

But why is it that people want me to drop my "I don't like them" attitude when those that "love" them won't drop that view?

I know, I'm affecting resale because people who don't know about this POS get educated and then don't get suckered in to paying too much, if anything, for one.

There are other sleds I dislike just as much... but fortunately they are no longer being offered around much.

The most irritating thing (ok maybe not the most, but one of them) about the 900 is that Polaris knew for at least 2 years that it was a hopeless cause yet they kept pushing it...

Oh forget it, I'm just going to get people's undies in a wad.

sledneck1, read all the posts you can find on the 900... not just the ones that are negative or just the ones that are positive. Then call you local Polaris dealer that you trust... and if you don't have one of them then call Tri-City in Utah or Carl's Cycle in Boise and ask their service manager's opinion.

Then decide.

sled_guy

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I mean no offence to Dogmeat, but he either got the worst 900 ever,
or he doesn't know what he is doing either to have the number of problems he as had, and showcased to us here for help. So if you look into his posts you'll get a unnecessarily bleak outlook.

Actually, it was the exact opposite. I got my 900 in Feb. 2007 for $7,000 knowing full well that I was going to have a lot of work to do to it. I was completley aware of that as I'd been following the forum and reading up on them the previous season. I knew the day I bought it I was going to have to gear it down, do the motor mounts, and some clutching and venting on it. I was completley %100 willing to do the work on the sled myself and learn as I went.

What completley bit me in the *** about it was that when I moved to Vernal, the guy whose house I was moving into specifically told me there was a garage there I could work on my sled in. As soon as I showed up in town, I come to find out it was a car port, not a garage. Now, the last two winters around here, but especially the winter of 2007/2008 it was 20 below here DURING BROAD DAYLIGHT .... IE, kinda ****ty weather to be outside working on a sled, especially when you're a newbie to it.

Anyways, after I got it, it dawned on me I was not set up to work on it myself at all, which if you're building a 900 is what you have to do unless you're dealing with a very competent shop.

Anyways, I had some spare coin at the time, and I really wanted to make the 900 run well, so I thought "Well, if I have the dealership just pull the motor for me and do the motor mounts and send the bottom end off to Indy Specialty, they can just slap it all back together for me and then I'll I'll have to mess with is the clutching".

This was my first mistake. The dealership that I took it to, was not anywhere near as competent as I thought they were. As soon as I got the sled back from them, I had all kinds of electrical problems with it that plagued the sled for the next season as well. They pinched off the wiring harness when they put the motor back in, and it wasn't until I finally just got so pissed off being unable to do the work myself I took the sled to another dealer. They told me my TPS sensor was fried as well as the TPS harness ... so I was like "Ok, fix it", so they did.

The sled then ran right for one ride before I started having electrical problems again, that lasted until last season.

Finally after a ride last season where the sled had to be towed back, and basically with me not having a clue how to fix the electrical problems, I opted to just part the sled out and sell it to somone who had the time and patience to work on the sled, but then it dawned on me with all I had into it I wasn't even going to be able to SELL it let alone get anything out of it...

So, I hauled the thing all the way up to Boise to Carl's Cycle and told them to pull the motor, go through the wiring harness, and just flat out fix the sled. They also removed the hoakey RMX package I had RMX do to it and replaced all that with the SLP kit.

Anyways, the moral of the story is, I knew full well what I was getting into, and the ONLY problem I had with my 900 the season I bought it and rode it stock was that I blew one 1080 belt the first real powder day at Rabbit Ears I ever had on it.

My main mistake was taking it to a dealer that just didn't give a **** whether or not they put the sled back together right ..... so this is why I say if you're gonna buy one of these things, you better have the time and patience to do the work YOURSELF so you know it's done right .... IMO, I would not recommend buying a 900 for your first sled. If you've been sledding awhile and know how to work on one and what it is going to take to get one set up properly, then by all means get one.

Finally, I've got my 900 running pretty well. It's basically a "big boondocker", which I am perfectly happy with the power/manueverabillity/weight ratio of the thing. It is not the lightest sled, but it's not the heaviest, and it's got a TON of torque for climbing hills and boon docking ... Once you get the clutching and gearing right on them and get used to the heavy nose, you can really ride the piss out of them. When the 900's are set up right, they're a tough sled to beat IMO ...

Only thing left for me to do on my 900 is gonna be replace the A-arm I bent last ride and put the 8" RSI handlebar setup on it, and I'm gonna be ready to rock and roll with it this winter....OH and finally figure out an air intake for it that actualy works.

And mayb eput some new plastic on it cuz I banged the hell out of that last season too.

Anyways, my $0.02.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Finally after a ride last season where the sled had to be towed back, and basically with me not having a clue how to fix the electrical problems, I opted to just part the sled out and sell it to somone who had the time and patience to work on the sled, but then it dawned on me with all I had into it I wasn't even going to be able to SELL it let alone get anything out of it...

my apologies, I guess I alway just read the problem and not how you got there!

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Yup, I don't know anything, my opinion doesn't matter... High Velocity knows me so well.

Yup, I hate the 900s... but then again what do I know... nothing I suppose.

sled_guy

sled_guy, nowhere in my post did I say you don't know anything. However, what I did say is true. You do bash the 900 at every opportunity. You also have a website crying about the 800 cranks. Yes, many broke, but when I sold my '01 800 with over 4,000 miles on it, the original crank was still fine. Seems reasonable to me. Every brand out there has issues. I know in my neck of the woods, I've rebuilt far, far more Rotax 800's (both failed cranks and pistons) than Polaris engines. Yes, maybe I did get lucky with my 900, but I know people with new Dragons, XP's, and Cats having more issues than I am with my old 9. I've thought about buying a new sled (2-stroke only), but haven't seen anything that's any more reliable than the sled I have now.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I have always been a polaris guy just so you know however it seems since the 800 has come out polaris has had pretty big issues with there stuff. Though some of the 800s ran for a long time with no issues ,i beleive most eventually had them. The crank shaft and or case, it';s hard to find one that has not had the crank worked on these days what i have seen normally on the 8 is the rod pin breaking and some times the stub it self. The 900 well like said just go read as many post as you can, you will see a pattern there as well. Did some work good you bet were some bad yes they were. also like stated they were only made for 2 years for a reason. Indy Dan seems to be the best fix for these motors if you want to spend the money he advertises a pretty good warranty of 3-5 years on your complete bottom end. Basically the bottom end is the only real thing that goes bad on these motors and the most expensive part to fix. So if any one decides to get one of these sleds with either of these motors just look for Indy Dans adds in many threads on this site. as always get the warranty in wrighting and send your motor in (peace of mind) Now the new stuff it's having quite a few issues as well for the last 2 years and it might be fixed (might, remember polaris would not provide any repair parts for any of the 800 cranks) It's really been a crap shoot on polaris and skidoo If you read it looks like cat has about as dependable of a sled as you can get these days not that some do not have issues there but over all you do not see alot of complaining about there motors. Polaris if gone off the radar for me. It's your decision ,all the info is out there to make an informed decision on what to buy, use it.:D

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I will say one thing that is true abouth these threads on the 900s... If you read the bulk of the negative comments on them you will find that there was ONE guy that had the problem and then all the followers get on and start making comments about a sled they have NEVER owned....but they have "heard". Truthfully Sled_guy have you owned one? I am not being a smart azz I am serious.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Nope, never "personally" owned one... fortunately enough of them came through my shop for work before I pulled the trigger so I was spared the "personal" experience. I wish I could say that for my shop's customers (I'm not a dealer, just get the chance to fix problems that dealers cause). If never owning a sled disqualifies people from knowing and working on that sled then a LOT of dealers are in big trouble. (I know, I'm being an azz about this). I promise I do know a little something about sleds. :)

My distain for the 900 started before it ever was released. I was invited to pre-ride the 900 in '04... and gave Polaris my feedback after 3 days on it. There were several of us that got it for those 3 days and all of us told Polaris the same things. (heavy, stupid hard to turn, vibration, etc). But it was released with those features anyway.

So the aftermarket stepped in...

Ya know, never mind... I've sworn off the 900 and at one point I swore off commenting on the 900 when people ask here on Snowest. I think it best I go back to that mode of operation. I'll just go back to my one word answers when asked if I think someone should buy a 900 (or 755 for that matter), "No".

Afterall, Polaris has given us the new 800 and as they said when they killed the 900 in '07 they weren't ever going to release something that didn't meet their new quality commitments... that's worked out well for them it looks like.;) Unfortunately for me I'm not being spared the personal anquish this time.

With all the damage I'm doing to the Polaris brand someone really ought to buy http://www.polarisindustriessucks.com/, it is for sale.

sled_guy

Last edited:
Premium Features