• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

24 catalyst 154 clutch noise? Belt drive?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I think I can maybe hear it faintly. I'd blow it out good with compressed air and check that the bushing(s) aren't out of one or more of the rollers that the weights push against. Seems to be a common point of premature wear. They should spin smoothly, but not have slop really. Inspect for anything loose or a cracked spider or outer cover. If you can't find anything I'd take it for a ride and see if it gets worse. If it gets worse or something really comes apart then you'll get to test out the warranty you paid for on that new machine. That's not what anyone wants, but sometimes it happens.

With it making the noise at idle it's probably not the belt.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Good job pinche! now that you posted, I don’t know what the noise is but I’m going engine issue.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Swing it by the dealer and we found that the noise would stop when you applied the brake! He was cool and thinks the nut on that shaft (dunno if that’s called the jackshaft) needs to be tightened. He offered to do it for free and tighten the track so yeah that’s the “tick” ? I hope there’s no wrecked bearings in there or what have you but he seemed confident. He did mention that artic cat sent out a notice to dealers that the clutch weights where under reving buy a little and they had weights for it but they are back ordered lol!

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Swing it by the dealer and we found that the noise would stop when you applied the brake! He was cool and thinks the nut on that shaft (dunno if that’s called the jackshaft) needs to be tightened. He offered to do it for free and tighten the track so yeah that’s the “tick” ? I hope there’s no wrecked bearings in there or what have you but he seemed confident. He did mention that artic cat sent out a notice to dealers that the clutch weights where under reving buy a little and they had weights for it but they are back ordered lol!
Weights are pretty common. Every Polaris or Artic Cat I’ve ever had needed different weights for where I ride. I have buckets full of worthless weights 😂

P
Feb 4, 2024
Saskatchewan
My brake pads rattle like that, squeeze the lever the noise goes away.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That’s what I was thinking but I’m not a veterinarian, it must be the nut on the jack shaft 🥴 This thread reminds me of “follow the science” 2020
They only take the top few. You are still waiting for NASA to call I'm guessing. You were talking about a rod because he smelled belt

P
Dec 15, 2018
Piston skirts slapping where allways hard for r to bear. So was a slight rod but a big rod knocks pretty easy. I just thought it sounded so much different and the stick and ensuing drama was not good so thought I should try to figure it out ? We rode back 1 miles then bush acker pretty easy terrain maybe two miles then skied a big line . Then we where stuck forever and it was bad weather and getting dark. Just made me think I didn’t want to take to big a risk breaking down cause I didn’t know enough? Learning as I go. I will say it again , the catalyst is being very good to me and I’ve really improved since riding it. I have allmost 600 miles on it now. That’s not a lot but I was stoked .anyway hopefully my post wasn’t to dumb and hopefully it is simple to fix.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I can’t understand half of Charlie’s writing and Terry says loud ticking at idle is normal, change your belt. Daddy was a veterinarian, big rods knock easy, now nasa’s calling,
ok fellas.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I have no edit feature cause I don’t pay for membership i guess. We rode 15 miles back then BUSH WHACKED another two miles in to a spot to ski . Then we skinned up the mountain and skied down. Then he got so bad stuck we where there for a long time digging and pulling and pushing and exhausted. The weather was bad, real cold and snowing hard strong winds and it was getting dark and we where still 17 mile’s away from parking lot. Not a big deal for veterans but I was a little worried. Then he says ,”machine sounds real weird and different since we smoked the belt. So I just thought maybe I could fix it myself if I learned because it’s a real real expensive sport lol! It’s hard to hear until you hear it. I hope the mechanic is right and it’s easy! Sorry for the spell check errors

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have no edit feature cause I don’t pay for membership i guess. We rode 15 miles back then BUSH WHACKED another two miles in to a spot to ski . Then we skinned up the mountain and skied down. Then he got so bad stuck we where there for a long time digging and pulling and pushing and exhausted. The weather was bad, real cold and snowing hard strong winds and it was getting dark and we where still 17 mile’s away from parking lot. Not a big deal for veterans but I was a little worried. Then he says ,”machine sounds real weird and different since we smoked the belt. So I just thought maybe I could fix it myself if I learned because it’s a real real expensive sport lol! It’s hard to hear until you hear it. I hope the mechanic is right and it’s easy! Sorry for the spell check errors
No worries. Glad to hear it's not a ring catching or a rod.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
For the future, if you smoke a belt when stuck (or trying to take off with the parking brake on :whistle:) bad enough that it needs changed you will feel it go "thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk" while moving and it makes a very rhythmic vibration. If you only minorly smoke it you will smell it a little, but it won't cause a vibration when moving and you can usually keep using it.

I've read about a brake rattle on catalyst Facebook pages. It's possible it just surfaced on your sled.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Yep he just called and said there where two circlips that came loose/off…??? That where part of the brake caliper set up? The jack shaft and the belt drive system was all good, clutch was all good and the belt was a little “glazed” but I can run it if I want. He said , he thought these primary clutches get a bit louder as the break in also? So I guess it was just a break caliper engineering flaw/break due to my ooor unstuck techniques ? I’ll get all the details when I go get it. Guess I need to learn to diagnose these problems better! Truth be known I like participating on the forum too so I ask questions so I can get excited to see people answer. I really do enjoy it and appreciate you guys expertise. Wish I could help more but iam basically you guys when you where 12 lol!! Lots of soft snow around and still snowing here!

Premium Features