• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch problems need help understanding diagnosis

P
Dec 15, 2018
Iam new to snowmobiles and to these clutches. I have a cvtech trailbloc primary and a cvtech invance secondary on a 2021 artic cat blast. The machine gets stuck and will act as if it is "frozen" ie: the motor just boggs and the track doesn't spin at all . Sounds like a stuck sewing machine. Like it's trying but won't. So like a dumbas$ I decided to pin and wiggle it because it didn't seem that stuck. Anyway I got it turning but it started sparking and smoking so I stopped. Now the belt is chewed up real bad and it won't engage smoothly and it basically clunks super hard and peels out. Iam guessing I fried the bearing on the primary shaft (sparks?) Or is the belt steel belted or I dunno? The secondary is sitting with the shelves slightly off kilter? The belt was very uniform around it now it dives down in the front as if the sheaves have spread. Or the belt is chewed and that's why ? So my questions are what does a guy do first? Or I guess what's the proper steps to take to diagnose centrifugal clutches? Thanks for any help

P
Dec 15, 2018
I could really use some help on this. Clutch is only available whole and it's 720 dollars and backordered with no estimate of delivery. So I need to see if I can kinds fix this one. I melted the plastic weight arms but they are still usable just not right as far as ramp. I also need to know about the spring retaining washer that's meant to slide in outer half sheave but won't. Dies this mean it's warped? Probably but can I relieve some material to at least get the snowmobile off the trailer? Or maybe even run it?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Man, can't say I've ever heard of sparks from a primary. Belt smoke, yes, but sparks, no. I would not run it anymore...a bad primary can result in a bad crank if it goes too far...especially if it is hammering. Take the belt off and pull the sled off the trailer by hand. At a minimum, get the clutch pulled and see what else is going on...remove cover, springs, etc. and look for damage/binding. But, from what I've seen from primarys, if they are damaged you are almost always better off going new than a rebuild. But, if you can rebuilt, Racin' Station is usually pretty good at rebuilding clutches and will be straight-up with you.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Thanks! I pulled it off and determined it was in need of replacement. I got lucky and found a " take off" primary and saved a few hundred bucks on it. Back together now and working like it should. I know now how not to ruin another one!!

Premium Features