• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"PUFF" The Magic DRAGON Review

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
Ride report:

Was running 7.5 gallons of AV GAS and 4 gallons of 110 Renegade Race fuel. Highest elevation I observed on display was 5600. Most of the riding was in the 4500-5000' range. Running the minimum boost it would allow (4.8-5.3) depending on elevation and was pulling 8300R's. Running a little rich on top end still, but I'd rather be a tad rich right now. Sled is just plain fun to ride. Throw it around like a ragdoll and she keeps asking for more. :D

Cranked up the air in the Holz Rear and boy did it make a difference! It will now absorb and rebound back up quick enough for the next set of bumps.

Track is still stretching...:( and needs to constantly be tightened. Didn't adjust it before the ride this time, and ended up spending 5 mins in the snow doing it. I'm sure the added HP is stretching it sooner than most. ;)

No detonation, no sputtering, no lag, just an unbelievable ride!!! Thanks Boondockers and SNOW JW!!! :beer;:beer;:beer;

TIME TO CRANK HER UP NOW!

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Ya that I know of all the BD kits I have sold and or installed are doing well Watts called me today and said he worked great as well he was running AV Gas as well 7.8lbs of boost or around there.

Also with more boost let me know we might need to put some MTX weight rivits in it to get your RPM down a bit.

Keep the reports comming

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Ride report:

Was running 7.5 gallons of AV GAS and 4 gallons of 110 Renegade Race fuel. Highest elevation I observed on display was 5600. Most of the riding was in the 4500-5000' range. Running the minimum boost it would allow (4.8-5.3) depending on elevation and was pulling 8300R's. Running a little rich on top end still, but I'd rather be a tad rich right now. Sled is just plain fun to ride. Throw it around like a ragdoll and she keeps asking for more. :D

Cranked up the air in the Holz Rear and boy did it make a difference! It will now absorb and rebound back up quick enough for the next set of bumps.

Track is still stretching...:( and needs to constantly be tightened. Didn't adjust it before the ride this time, and ended up spending 5 mins in the snow doing it. I'm sure the added HP is stretching it sooner than most. ;)

No detonation, no sputtering, no lag, just an unbelievable ride!!! Thanks Boondockers and SNOW JW!!! :beer;:beer;:beer;

TIME TO CRANK HER UP NOW!

How much air you running in the rear....Evol and Main chamber?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
did the gas cans come with the right bolts to mount on the rails in the RAW tunnel?

Yes, it is slick as can be. Took me longer to get it out of the box than it did to mount it. On top of the nice system, the gas can are not some cheapo gas can, very high quality!!!!!!

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
How much air you running in the rear....Evol and Main chamber?

Evol I'm running about 190psi and in the main rear shock about 165psi. I'm about 285 all geared up. Air temp was about 30-32 all day, so that helped as well. I've noticed that colder air temps...I need more PSI in them. Might drop the main down a few PSI in the warmer temps, but will be perfect for when it cools off.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
AO and Punisher...

Sounds like the compression settings on the DSC valving are all "OFF" to me.

You are not supposed to exceed 150 PSI in the main chamber.

The EVOL chamber should always be significantly higher than the main chamber in order for the shock to function properly.

Fox EVOL X manual:
Set the desired MAIN air chamber pressure. Typical MAIN air chamber pressure is between 20PSI and 100 PSI.SI. DO NOT EXCEED 150 PSI for the MAIN air chamber pressure.

I wonder what F-bomb is running in his Naturally Aspirated mod sled for this skid?

Winter Brew??

Maybe the turbos are needing this to keep the front end down with all that power.

At that kind of pressure, I'd worry about the rails bending at the rear bump stop with that much force on it... especially when you are hard on the power with the skis off the ground

Last edited:
P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
MH:

I will drop my main chamber pressure down to 145ish and see how it works. You might have hit the nail on the head with the valving...

The sled has 5" of free sag but when ice/snow buildup under the tunnel it pulls it down to about 8-9" of sag. Suspension travel is minimal and I'm sure it's effecting overall geometry of the skid. That is why I cranked up the PSI and it solved that problem yesterday.

AO and Punisher...

Sounds like the compression settings on the DSC valving are all "OFF" to me.

You are not supposed to exceed 150 PSI in the main chamber.

The EVOL chamber should always be significantly higher than the main chamber in order for the shock to function properly.

I wonder what F-bomb is running in his Naturally Aspirated mod sled for this skid?

Winter Brew??

Maybe the turbos are needing this to keep the front end down with all that power.

At that kind of pressure, I'd worry about the rails bending at the rear bump stop with that much force on it... especially when you are hard on the power with the skis off the ground

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I am not sure about the rev limiter kick in point but I believe it is around 8800 RPM. My ported 800 (no turbo) was hitting what felt like the rev limiter at that point early this year in the fluff that we had when I was on the flat. It sort of freaked me out. I am now hitting around 8350/8400 on hard pulls. Nice sled you have there!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
W
Nov 22, 2008
Richland Wa
Watts Up Toyz

Just wonted to let everyone know I have PUFF'S TWIN from Justin and i was running it at the play day at tollgate OR TODAY no one could touch it not even a nytro running 10lb. I am running 8.2 lb on straight av gas @ 5900 feet we had the fastest track speed 78.4 mph on 500foot straight clocked by radar i lowered my mapping 5 points on everything. Bryan Watts WATTS UP TOYZ

Last edited:
S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
Had my 09 d8 bd kit running in Cooke this last week at 8.4 pounds of boost on straight vp 110 fuel. Sled ran great but really had to mess with my # alot day to day it seemed when making along pull the egt's would really build up 1305-1325 and Id pull out of the climb. Anyone else have this problem. And is it possable to have the #'s to rich and the egt's would give you a lean reading say the high psi # is set at 70? This was the only thing I had a problem with all week that I was always messing with #'s

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Yes if you dont burn the fuel in the motor it will sit in the pipe and burn, giving you false egt readings. Dont depend on your egts... check your pistons and plugs.

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
Had my 09 d8 bd kit running in Cooke this last week at 8.4 pounds of boost on straight vp 110 fuel. Sled ran great but really had to mess with my # alot day to day it seemed when making along pull the egt's would really build up 1305-1325 and Id pull out of the climb. Anyone else have this problem. And is it possable to have the #'s to rich and the egt's would give you a lean reading say the high psi # is set at 70? This was the only thing I had a problem with all week that I was always messing with #'s

I would say yes as well. But I have no experience with EGT's. I opted for an AFR gauge. I've noticed that I'm running rich anytime I hit 3/4 throttle to WOT.

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
PUNISHER what #'s are working for you? Or are you running the starting #'s from BD?

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
HOLZ ALPHA X Update:

So after speaking w/ Mark @ Holz...I've figured out that my pressures were not that far out of line. I just needed to correctly inflate the shock.

Here is the procedure for inflating your EVOL X shocks: Raise rear or front bumper off ground to completely lengthen the shock. Release all pressure from the main and EVOL chambers to 0 (zero). Then pump main chamber to desired PSI. At this point the main chamber will also fill your EVOL chamber to the PSI of the main. After filling main, fill EVOL to desired PSI. This will force the valve in the EVOL up and is what creates the progressive rate of the shock during compression. Set EVOL at desired PSI. Put sled on the ground flat and check your ride sag. Pull rear bumber completely up to remove any "static sag" and measure a fixed point to the ground. (I used the tunnel where the running boards/bar roll up towards the back of the tunnel...and measured to the ground) Write this measurement down and have a friend measure while you are standing on the sled from the same spot. You are looking for a 3.5-4" rider sag setting or 1/3 of the overall travel of the shock. If you need it stiffer to reduce sag, then bleed EVOL to 0 (zero) again...then pump up main chamber, then re-inflate EVOL chamber. If you need to go softer to get the 3.5-4" of sag, just bleed a tad bit of air off of the main chamber and measure till you get it correct.

Here are my settings for a 285lb rider w/ gear and all the crap I have on the back of my sled:

Main chamber: 155psi
Evol chamber: 220psi
Rebound Clicks out: 10
Low Speed Comp out: 10
High speed: stock for now

Premium Features