• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"PUFF" The Magic DRAGON Review

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
2009 Dragon 800 155
Boondocker Pump Gas Turbo w/ Mini Intercooler and Blow off valve
Holz Alpha X Rear Suspension
+ many miscellanous parts

yet to be installed:
Better Boards
6 Vents
Rear Rack
...many more misc parts

So I opted for the pump gas kit with a mini-intercooler. I figured while utilizing the intercooler I might as well have a BOV. Didn't quite know what to expect from the Intercooler/BOV combo since I'm the first to try(from what i'm told). I was very impressed with the fit/finish of the kit. Boondockers definitely did their homework and have made a complete package. I have yet to change any numbers on the box and will continue to ride and monitor my AFR gauge.

I highly recommend the BOV for anyone considering the intercooler option. Every single time I would chop the throttle or let off the throttle quickly I could hear the BOV working while the sled was under boost. Snap the throttle back open and no lag (what I can tell, and I'm coming off of a MCX rear mount T-Nytro) to have the turbo fully spooled up again. Throttle response was instanteous to me, and brought huge grins :D.

I've run 6lbs @ 2000' on straight AV gas in our 3.5' of fresh snow we were blessed with over the Christmas holiday. I've also run 8-9lbs @ 4500' on str8 AV gas as well. This was all meadow, trail riding/breaking because we have no base to our snowfall yet. Never once did I hear or feel the DET sensor kick in.

Holz Alpha X...Has surpassed my expectations, but so has the chassis on this sled! :D The 2 combined make a wicked combination and feel as if you're floating on clouds. Only negative I can say about it is that you have to check the air pressures to make sure the air tempatures are not messing with them too bad. Had the suspension go somewhat flat 1st ride out, because the air temp was 2* and the snow was soft/fluffy until it melted to the skid and became ice chunks. The skid/tunnel had easily 50lbs of extra weight b/c of the ice.:eek: So make sure you bring your PUMPS with you when you ride.

Fastrax 2 piece billet throttle block setup...What a pain!:p But thanks to our great, very well respected MOUNTAINHORSE, the 2 of us got it figured out. Your stock throttle blocks have a safety-kill switch in them to prevent a runaway sled scenario with the flipper closed but the cable/throttle plates wide open or open at all. On the 2009 sleds you will need to disconnect the kill switch at the 3plug connector underneath the cowling. If you would like to use your kill switch then you will need to cut the wire that corresponds with the "chassis side" plug wire that is red/black stripe. Just cut the wire on the "KILL SWITCH SIDE" (never cut anything on the CHASSIS side) about 2 inches up the wire and tape it off. (You could possibly also just remove that wire from the Kill switch assembly if you take the switch apart and remove the correct wire after following it up the handlebars.) See the 3rd picture below and look @ the top of the oil resevoir bottle and you will see the grey wire cut and crimp'd off.

Feel free to ask any questions and enjoy the pictures of PUFF

I would like to thank SNOW JW (Justin) @ Code Red Performance for the awesome price on the turbo kit and the quick INSTALL. Thanks Justin!!!

Another huge thank you to MOUNTAINHORSE (Eric) for the help on the wiring issue! Thank you Eric!!!

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00717.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00721.jpg

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
With all that fancy fangled stuff on there, I want to know about the gas rack/cans....:D

Very nice by the way!!!!!!!!

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I'm a bit confused about the FTX 2 piece throttle block. So the safety switch that contacts the throttle can be used or not?

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
"Badazz Dragon"

Thank for posting the pics of your sled. What type of riser is on the bars?

I put on a Wildchild rack w LED on my 09 D8 and it looks & functions great.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Tim... The sled looks awesome!!

Check your track tension... looks a bit loose.

That is one clean build.

Sled looks awesome,I like the look of the black,but is it safe to operate without the warning decals:confused:;)
Pete

He's running a tether switch...

This is the substitute for the throttle switch if it is used.

Last edited:
Premium Features