• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"PUFF" The Magic DRAGON Review

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I was wondering about the fuel you are using? You mention this is a pump gas kit and then you said you are using AV gas. Is this aviation low lead fuel? And what octane is it?
I also heard that the octane rating in AV gas is not rated the same as(lower) than the unleaded fuel you buy at a gas station for vehicles.??
The octane rating for fuel in europe is also rated differently than north american rating
IE 98 octane in europe is only the same as 90 octane in north america.

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
if i member correctly av gas is rated at a min. of 100 octane. i think with this kit u can run it at lower boost levels for premium or bump it up a lil bit and bump up the octane and get higher boost/hp levels

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
Thank you all for the compliments!!! :beer;

Gas rack is mountain addiction as stated above. I need to PM wildchild to see if he can build me a custom rack for the space left on the tunnel (shouldn't be a problem) to fit a Skinz Powder Pack bag.

Hot air eliminators are on the work bench along with the vents.

Tether is a must if you replace your stock throttle block(b/c you lose the safety switch) or even if you don't replace the block. Fastrax sells the one I bought, and you can see a picture of it in the 1st post. Super easy install and works very well. (tested numerous times today:D)

Rode again today...Was hitting 8k R's @ 4000' elevation. Only running 6lbs currently on the 100% AV Gas. (99 motor octane 100low lead). Will crank up the boost when I need to and should get my R's back to 81-82. Track speed on a straight stretch was 50mph with a 5-8 second of full throttle 4' snow. Trail riding in 4' of powder so I don't need anymore power at the moment.

Suspension was much better today...no issues with air pressure at all. Tunnel and skid definitely hold the snow. Any good solutions besides porting the track?

Exhaust is dumped right into the tunnel. Sounds like a CAN was added and that's it. Definitely a sleeper... :cool:

Risers are RSI 3" blocks. Another pain during install. The risers are either 2.25" between centers of mounting holes or 3.25" can't remember off the top of my head...anyways, the stock steering plate is only 2or3 & 3/16" on center. Drilled the bottom holes out to 3/8 (5/16 is what is required) to buy me some room to mount them correctly. Do yourself a favor and put something under the cowling to collect any dropped bolts/washers when you go to install....or else you will be searching for a long time!!! :mad:

Mountainhorse...track was definitely loose in those pictures. Tightened her up right after I pulled it back into the garage.

T
Apr 1, 2008
Bend, OR
Maybe i just can't tell what i'm looking at, but it appears as though the intercooler is just hanging out in the middle of the engine bay, and would get very little air flow. Does it do any good there?

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
More pictures of PUFF

I've had a lot of questions in regards to the GAS CANS. So enjoy the extra pictures.

A few pictures of the exhaust outlet from both sides as well.

I also got my Skinz Powder Pack today and installed it. It was a breeze, almost as if Skinz and Mountain Addiction talked about how to get both of them on a 155 Polaris Tunnel!!!:D

DSC00722.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

DSC00726.jpg

DSC00731.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00734.jpg

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
Sweet sled,looks great I would love to have a turbo on mine.

B
Dec 3, 2008
I always thought it was illegal to have gasoline in anything but a red can, diesel in yellow, etc... or is it just "best practice?"

Premium Features