• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"PUFF" The Magic DRAGON Review

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
Glad I ordered mine when I did. They will probably be on back order after everyone sees this thread....

I cant believe a sled of this caliber with all the nice upgrades and everyone is asking about the gas cans... hahahahaha :D

LOL...yeah, who would've thunk! Should have asked for a "sponsurdshep" (still laughing about that thread):D:D:D

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
Had another day of fun on "PUFF" this weekend. Was riding at only 2500 feet elevation and was pulling 8300 R's consistently. Only 6psi with 100% AV gas still. Felt a few top end stumbles....and couldn't tell if it was on the rev limiter or hitting the DET sensor. Was told the light would flash if the DET sensor was kicking in, and I couldn't see any lights. So I'm guessing that I must have hit the limiter.

Does anyone know how the new POO's rev limiters work? Will it just cut timing to get the R's down? That is what it felt like, not like my cousin's APEX that was literally bouncing off the limiter until he would slow down.

Another question for the turbo guys or Boondockers: How can I lower my intial PSI/Boost number? I cannot get it under 6psi even with lengthening the wastegate rod 1 full turn, it did not help at all. Still 6psi. My boost controller is all the way counter-clockwise, and the spring/ball have been removed. :confused:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Had another day of fun on "PUFF" this weekend. Was riding at only 2500 feet elevation and was pulling 8300 R's consistently. Only 6psi with 100% AV gas still. Felt a few top end stumbles....and couldn't tell if it was on the rev limiter or hitting the DET sensor. Was told the light would flash if the DET sensor was kicking in, and I couldn't see any lights. So I'm guessing that I must have hit the limiter.

Does anyone know how the new POO's rev limiters work? Will it just cut timing to get the R's down? That is what it felt like, not like my cousin's APEX that was literally bouncing off the limiter until he would slow down.

Another question for the turbo guys or Boondockers: How can I lower my intial PSI/Boost number? I cannot get it under 6psi even with lengthening the wastegate rod 1 full turn, it did not help at all. Still 6psi. My boost controller is all the way counter-clockwise, and the spring/ball have been removed. :confused:

I doubt that you are hitting the rev limiter as I have had mine up to 8500 rpm with lighter weights. I also seized mine on friday with no det light, so I'd be very careful with it. I'd check the exhaust side of the pistons for scoring if I were you. My controller also stops at about 5lbs at about 8k ft. I don't need to go any lower than that though.

Dec 23, 2008
Nice Sled!!!

Here is my Sled Just a little of the same but different!! 09 Dragon With a Boondockers PumpGas

DSC00611.jpg DSC00610.jpg DSC00609.jpg

Last edited:

raceu4it

Lifetime Membership
nice set-up, food for thought for next year. read about about snow and ice build up in rear skid, do you think with the exhaust dump into the front of tunnel would change the temp. so that snow dust will collect up front? just a thought,

H

huhner772

Nov 26, 2007

I took my 09 D8 BD pump gas out the other day at 700 feet and the lowest psi i see is 6.9psi. Also mine is extremely fat on top end. What # are you running?

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah

I have a 08 D7 with a pump gas turbo as do 2 of my buddies. None of us can get the boost controller to go below 6 lbs. of boost. I haven't worried too much because we ride at 9k, but it would be nice to be able to turn it down to 3 or 4 depending on conditions. From what we have heard this is some kind of problem with the set up from Boondocker. Still don't know how to fix it so we are just mixing more race fuel and leaving it where it bottoms out. Would be nice if someone on here knows the fix.

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
My 09 bdpump kit at sealevel the lowest I can see is 8.4 pounds. I half to run straight race gas or it will deto and I had to ricthen the fuel # up about 4 points each, mid and high rang. Sucks to buy straight race but im just trying to break it in for out west. Hope the bd #'s will be spot on out west. Have the Bd #'s been pritty good for the most part?

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
My 09 bdpump kit at sealevel the lowest I can see is 8.4 pounds. I half to run straight race gas or it will deto and I had to ricthen the fuel # up about 4 points each, mid and high rang. Sucks to buy straight race but im just trying to break it in for out west. Hope the bd #'s will be spot on out west. Have the Bd #'s been pritty good for the most part?

Myself and the guys I ride with have bd's recommended numbers dialed in and they are right on. We're in Utah averaging 9k feet. D8's and d7's

S
Dec 20, 2007
I have a 08 D7 with a pump gas turbo as do 2 of my buddies. None of us can get the boost controller to go below 6 lbs. of boost. I haven't worried too much because we ride at 9k, but it would be nice to be able to turn it down to 3 or 4 depending on conditions. From what we have heard this is some kind of problem with the set up from Boondocker. Still don't know how to fix it so we are just mixing more race fuel and leaving it where it bottoms out. Would be nice if someone on here knows the fix.

Based on my experiance and with Justin and Code Reds help we have found that the boost PSI is realitive to the waste gate settings. Down low the actuator should barley slip ove the gate pin, if your running up high you can go 3/4 to a full hole in on the arm. Im have the oposite problem trying to get between 8 and 10. I can get 6 and lower all gday long. Low alt guys run your actuator arm out a bit and you should see a diffrence.

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
sledwolf I also have been working with snowjw on this problem and my arm is set all the way long and in the furthest out hole and wont even come close to the advertised 3-4 pounds of boost (8.4). Hope they will come up with something over there at bd to help but for now it is what it is.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Down low the lowest we are getting is 6.5-7psi going to talk to Jared today about this and see if there is anything a guy can do. But at 5500 ft if your waste gate is adjusted right I am always seeing 5.4 to 6lbs of boost.

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
I took my 09 D8 BD pump gas out the other day at 700 feet and the lowest psi i see is 6.9psi. Also mine is extremely fat on top end. What # are you running?

Mine is FAT on top as well. Running boondockers recommended numbers at the moment. Will lean it out, when I get to my normal riding spots and monitor how it's doing.

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
Well I'm glad it's not just me that's having an issue with it!!! I sure hope there is a solution. I'm not the smartest turbo guy, but what is the ADA that Boondockers is marketing on this kit? I know it stands for air density advantage...Had the privledge of speaking with Jared @ Boondockers today, and he explained that the ADA adjusts fuel for air density based on intake charge air temperature. It does not have anything to do with elevation and density of air from that perspective. Just the air temperature. Thanks Jared! :D

Last edited:
B

BDTURBO

Oct 15, 2008
The boost actuator that we are using for the pump gas set up is a 4lb actuator in all of our testing we have only seen boost levels as low as 5.5-6.0 lbs of boost on our race gas set ups the acuator is a 8lb actuator and the lowest it will turn down to is 9.5-10 lbs of boost,(the reading on the control box), witch is the boost that the pressure tranducer is seeing, if you were to run a dial boost guage you would see boost readings lower than the highly sensitve electronics will read. As for looking for a light to turn on the dash for DET, that function is not turned on from Polaris so you will never see a light. If you hit the DET sensor it will pull timing and fuel and your sled will not take full throttle cleanly (will miss badly) if this happens turn you boost level down dont try to tune through it you could cause damge to the engine. If you sled is running good and then all of the sudden is not running good look for something besides tuning, it just doen't all of the sudden go out of tune things to look for, boost leaks (throttle body boots, cracked exhaust, bad boost lines). The ADA is simply a feature that will adjust fuel according to charge air, it has nothing to do with boost control it just allows for the sled to run consistant through out a pull . as your charge air increases you sled would normally create a rich condition with ADA we can control the boost fuel for consitant runability. Tanks Jared Boondocker R&D

Last edited:
P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
Jared @ Boondockers had also mentioned that they are working on a solution to allow us to turn down the boost below the 5.5-6psi range and closer to the 4psi that the actuator rod is.

Premium Features