• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Patriot boost bogging, loading up, fouling plug on one side.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
What if these newer coils didn't have the high tension wires seated into the coils properly?
It’s possible.

The 200 miles without issues seemed to point towards an internal coil breakdown.

I’ve been through a bunch of plug wire issues on my axys sleds (turbo and N/A) and this was definitely different symptoms.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Finally something I agree with Rustydave on. Great post. The sport wouldn't miss you revrider. You must have a really easy life if Polaris Enginner's and sub par supplier parts is all you have to make you angry ?
You can really tell who got participation awards no expectations of a product.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I was happy with what I paid $23 k for. I own a business so I am fully prepared to be let down on a daily basis by people. It's the new normal. It definitely didn't stop me from snow checking a 9R.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

Participation Trophies? The irony seems to be very lost on that one. But I’ll bite.

It’s the difference between expectations and reality, hence the door to the real world. I’m with Chilly on this one. My expectations are zero these days, people suck, they’re lazy, they’re dishonest, and they are dumb. Single point failures are the norm in my world. Thank God for my LSD flashbacks.
As for being pissed at Polaris? Go ahead, I’m sure they care and will reach out to you shortly. I find it hilarious you are pissed at something that doesn’t directly impact you at all. Full woke.
Understand the game. Shareholder value (which is just a fancy word for bean counters) is and has been the norm for quite a while. Risk/reward of products, quality, warranty claims, availability of parts (and labor) especially in the new world is something they watch closely. Overbuild and you go out of business. Under build and you end up like Arctic Cat. Finding a balance with maximum profits is what makes stockholders happy, driving 401k’s and keeps executives in large bonuses. This is the game. Understand it and you won’t have any more fake anger.

As far as SMF’s decision to quickly attempt to fix: The trade off for him is demanding Polaris warranty, waiting for dealer availability & appointment, diagnosing the issue (which I’d argue maybe 1% can properly diagnose, ordering parts, repair, confirm the repair fixed the issue, return sled, and owner confirms fix. How long does that take? How much riding is lost? How much would rental or spare sled cost to not lose valuable ride time, weather, etc? What if they didn’t fix correctly and he has to return a 2nd, maybe 3rd time and repeat the process?

Or, ask a question, quickly take advice, buy parts, or rob parts, install, test, and ride? And with no fake anger. This literally could be done in less than 1 hour. That’s called problem solving. That’s called being a man. His Blood Pressure stays in check and he has no anger. Something you might someday appreciate.

Remember, this would be the first 2022 Patriot Boost with this reported symptom on this forum. Are you still ready to jump off the bridge angrily yelling junk?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Participation Trophies? The irony seems to be very lost on that one. But I’ll bite.

It’s the difference between expectations and reality, hence the door to the real world. I’m with Chilly on this one. My expectations are zero these days, people suck, they’re lazy, they’re dishonest, and they are dumb. Single point failures are the norm in my world. Thank God for my LSD flashbacks.
As for being pissed at Polaris? Go ahead, I’m sure they care and will reach out to you shortly. I find it hilarious you are pissed at something that doesn’t directly impact you at all. Full woke.
Understand the game. Shareholder value (which is just a fancy word for bean counters) is and has been the norm for quite a while. Risk/reward of products, quality, warranty claims, availability of parts (and labor) especially in the new world is something they watch closely. Overbuild and you go out of business. Under build and you end up like Arctic Cat. Finding a balance with maximum profits is what makes stockholders happy, driving 401k’s and keeps executives in large bonuses. This is the game. Understand it and you won’t have any more fake anger.

As far as SMF’s decision to quickly attempt to fix: The trade off for him is demanding Polaris warranty, waiting for dealer availability & appointment, diagnosing the issue (which I’d argue maybe 1% can properly diagnose, ordering parts, repair, confirm the repair fixed the issue, return sled, and owner confirms fix. How long does that take? How much riding is lost? How much would rental or spare sled cost to not lose valuable ride time, weather, etc? What if they didn’t fix correctly and he has to return a 2nd, maybe 3rd time and repeat the process?

Or, ask a question, quickly take advice, buy parts, or rob parts, install, test, and ride? And with no fake anger. This literally could be done in less than 1 hour. That’s called problem solving. That’s called being a man. His Blood Pressure stays in check and he has no anger. Something you might someday appreciate.

Remember, this would be the first 2022 Patriot Boost with this reported symptom on this forum. Are you still ready to jump off the bridge angrily yelling junk?
100 percent.

I work in commercial vertical construction as an estimator / project manager and get people letting me down on the daily to the tune of $500-$20,000-$200,000.

I save my concern for real things vs Polaris unintentionally passing through a defective part on a machine that i rushed to get in line to buy , paid $20k for and have enjoyed the heck out of………

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I also run a business with 500000 piece of equipment that get shut down by a 50$ piece that cost 15 cents to make .
If people continue to buy and not demand better products this is going to be the norm. Just last week I was pulling the rope on a 21 Polaris that would foul plugs every morning just not acceptable. The forum is great place trade solutions for fixing machines that manufactures can’t get right. I buy new every year or two because I want to avoid wrenching on my units.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I also run a business with 500000 piece of equipment that get shut down by a 50$ piece that cost 15 cents to make .
If people continue to buy and not demand better products this is going to be the norm. Just last week I was pulling the rope on a 21 Polaris that would foul plugs every morning just not acceptable. The forum is great place trade solutions for fixing machines that manufactures can’t get right. I buy new every year or two because I want to avoid wrenching on my units.
Let me enlighten you on something. Forums are were most guys come that have problems to gripe, complain, seek out help, and/or just like to come to be an asshole ?. Fortunately there was more Boosts and Slashs made more than the 20 or so people that have had problems. Not every sled came with problems. Mine was flawless. For someone who throws around stuff about participation awards, you sure seem like the cry baby who's dad didn't teach him life is not fair. Not every sled is going to be perfect and have zero issues otherwise the factory wouldn't be offering you a warranty. I know for a fact that my local dealer didn't have one sled come back with fuel pump problems. They did 80 sleds in 22. Just because 5 people have the same exact problem on a forum doesn't mean all 5,000 units Polaris built had the same problem. Your tears aren't getting you any sympathy here.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Polaris and Ski Doo ( maybe Cat in the future) are building sleds that I thought we would never see come to market. I have no problem being a test pilot for them with the warranty they offer. And trust me ,I have had some first year lemons. I can't wait to see what we get in five years from now ( well maybe not the price). I ordered a new Gen5 this year and don't expect it to be perfect . Im willing to take the chance for the latest & greatest. For the guy's who can't handle this, just buy the last year of the model you like. Its been refined through the years.

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
We are in the golden era of mountain sleds as I’ve never seen a better stock sled yet!

Gonna bring some reality back!

CFI 800 Dragon
RMK 900
800HO
800ptek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
So 5 weeks ago I spent a ride trying to figure out a bog issue on my sled and it went away somewhat on it own……. This is frustrating and unresolved.

Great snow conditions with dry snow falling all day at 20 degrees F.

The symptoms were. Super rich low end, black streaks in the snow, burbling in the mid and would rev out perfect on top as long as i babied it through the lower rpm range. Spot on 8300-8400 rpm peak and would rip the hill.

No codes, no cel.

Swapped plugs after it went to one cylinder from a bog til stuck scenerio. (Had 3-4 that day) and it went back to running on 2 cylinders but intermittent bogging the rest of the day. (Had to recover a sled with shattered secondary so just rode around the symptoms)

Went home and checked everything over, changed plugs again, compression test (good) sealed up some areas that might have gotten snow on the belt? Basically no smoking gun.

Rode it 4 times since then with zero issues, runs sweet.

Now yesterday and today my brothers sled (identical to mine) starts doing the same exact thing.
Boggy, heavy streaks on snow, fouling plug on one side, no codes, rips when it’s at peak rpm. ??‍♂️

We are both around 200-260 miles on them.

We have had zero issues with fuel pumps thus far.

3 rental patriot boost sleds along on the same trip zero issues. Running clean, burning the same gas, running the same oil.

His sled is going to the dealer when they open next week.

Anyone have any experience similar to this?
Is this not the same type issue most of us suffered when the 850 first came out?
The flashes helped, but for us low elevation riders the best solution to bogging was the TRS clutch kit. It Almost eliminated fouling and that bog disappears in the sleds we put them in, along with the benefit of a more useable power at lower tree riding speeds.
Our 3 Boost sleds do foul, when tree riding. Haven’t seen the TRS set up for them yet, But I’m sure it will help the lower RPM issues…

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Is this not the same type issue most of us suffered when the 850 first came out?
The flashes helped, but for us low elevation riders the best solution to bogging was the TRS clutch kit. It Almost eliminated fouling and that bog disappears in the sleds we put them in, along with the benefit of a more useable power at lower tree riding speeds.
Our 3 Boost sleds do foul, when tree riding. Haven’t seen the TRS set up for them yet, But I’m sure it will help the lower RPM issues…
The issue would go on and off like a switch.

Most of the time run perfect.

Randomly drop a cylinder.

Seems hard to fix with clutching.

C
Dec 14, 2020

You're not following along.

The clutch kit moved rpms for your riding style and kept you out of a bad spot in the map.

That's a bit different than completely losing spark.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Let me enlighten you on something. Forums are were most guys come that have problems to gripe, complain, seek out help, and/or just like to come to be an asshole ?. Fortunately there was more Boosts and Slashs made more than the 20 or so people that have had problems. Not every sled came with problems. Mine was flawless. For someone who throws around stuff about participation awards, you sure seem like the cry baby who's dad didn't teach him life is not fair. Not every sled is going to be perfect and have zero issues otherwise the factory wouldn't be offering you a warranty. I know for a fact that my local dealer didn't have one sled come back with fuel pump problems. They did 80 sleds in 22. Just because 5 people have the same exact problem on a forum doesn't mean all 5,000 units Polaris built had the same problem. Your tears aren't getting you any sympathy here.
For your information not all boosts were delivered some are still sitting with zero miles on and with low snow many have few miles. My dealer also said it’s closer to 3500 boosts on the snow. Not looking for any sympathy. Glad your sled was great. Just stating facts from my point of view with Polaris products.

Premium Features