• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P.O.lari.S blown 800's again

N
Nov 7, 2008
ALL YOU GUYS OUT THERE WITH BLOWN ENGINES, DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU THERE IS NO PROBLEM, THESE THINGS HAVE A MAJOR FLAW. judging by what i read maybe it is only below 4000 ft????? 09 d8 163 - 359 miles, has run absolutely flawless, right up to when it went down on the mag side. no reason ran perfect all day 60 miles or so, temp. was between -2 and +2 altitude, 2500 ish. In our area (central, BC) we have had 4 go down in the past 2 weeks in my group of buddies, don't know how many others. Last year they sold approx. 30 of the 08, of those I know of 15 that went down for sure, maybe ( likely) more. Getting really tired of this situation. Have been lucky so far have not needed a heli, but how many times can we get lucky.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
but how many times can we get lucky.

Twice so far, luckily mine hasn't siezed just burnt thru. 11 mile ride out the first time and 9 miles last saturday, seems weird to me that neither time with the flipper pinned to the bar and only able to run 6400 rpm that never once has a check engine light come on.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Subcribe to dynotech and read about the 800's fuel mapping and you will see exactly why. There is a ton of info on it. Saved me from burning mine down. I can't believe more of them haven't burnt down already. I have not seen the numbers on the new reflash but if it is proper then we shouldn't see another one after they are done. EPA must be real bugger for Polaris to meet.

T
Nightrain are you stirring the POT????that is MY JOB......Ask HEEB...What is the major flaw as when mine went down I did some talk time to slp...allsport...tricity...carls...ect. as IF ITS A PIG I will go back to CAT...This is what I found and proved to myself after seeing my motor pulled down...Crank LOOK"S very beefy ie..wide bearing on BOTH ends and oilers going to ALL bearings.....piston single ring (sucks in my eyes) but doo has been running it for years.....rest of the motor..well I did get a three year warr. but if it goes down again it goes,soooo what happened to make it blow up....details details details...please. I had one guy we were ready to pull in once as sled just died(won't say which brand) and by the time we got back to the watering hole it was the third sled that had Blown in our neck of the woods.....Had a good laugh when I told them all that was wrong was he forgot to gas up that morning but they KNEW it was a pos...Not saying yours didn't just details please...Garry

PS...I forgot to add MY DETAILS...Mine went down from lack of oil on mag side(bad pto oil valve)

Last edited:
X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
If it's like the 700 (only worse obviously) there's a nasty lean spot around 6000-6500 RPM when held there. You can see it on EGT's it'll get real hot @ that RPM if you hold it there any length of time (like trail cruising) This could be real dangerous for the IQ/SP versions trailriding the midwest. It's probably within the safe area on the 700 but I don't know on the 800.

If this is true on the 800 like the 700 a fuel controller can fix the problem by adding a few points of fuel in that RPM range.

I'd like to hear what people experience with EGT's on an 800 @ that RPM range.

N
Nov 7, 2008
the aggravating part, is our dealer and polaris, don't seem to know why they are going, they are rebuilding them and sending them out again, Oh and by the way, mine had the latest flash, ( it was flashed saturday, blown sunday) so there goes that theory. I have no doubt that the engines are beefy, that does not seem to be the problem, i think it is fuel mapping problems, unfortunately i am not and engineer, if i were, we would not be having this conversation. Of the sleds around here, seems most are squeaking on the mag side, however, my buddies went twice, first time mag side, second time pto. no water temp issues, snow was good, (not hard packed). absolutely no reason. I wish i had more details, rode for 5 or 6 hours, family ride near home, almost home at end of day, toodling across hay feild (not wide open) blew mag side. don't know what more i can say. From what i have been reading, and people been talking to, the only problems seem to be at low elevations, (below 3 or 4000 feet) ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SLED OTHERWISE

N
Nov 7, 2008
xc700, i agree that also seems to be an issue, i am going to get egts installed now, just for that reason, polaris can't figure it out i will have to get egts so i can start figuring it out, also another guy posted a place earlier to look at dyno charts, will look at that as well.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I'm thinking of getting the dynotech subscription as well for this reason. not so much as for the dyno numbers but more for the stuff that goes along with them like temps at various RPM's insights into what to look for when clutching it ect. Good info besides the Keyboard jockey HP numbers.

I also wonder if there is a different fuel map for the flat land sleds and if you could get a D8 mapped like that for the guys that run lower elev. like in AK and some of the Canadian areas.

Last edited:

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
So I’m hearing a lot about motors going down but no one has posted what exactly is happening. Bearing seize. Piston seize (and how), Detonation. There should be some real clues as to the problem just by looking at the parts that come out. ??????

N
Nov 7, 2008
I agree, i will post that info, and maybe pics, ( if i can get that technical) once i go to dealer and see the parts on the bench. will get back to you on that.

A
Nov 26, 2007
So I’m hearing a lot about motors going down but no one has posted what exactly is happening. Bearing seize. Piston seize (and how), Detonation. There should be some real clues as to the problem just by looking at the parts that come out. ??????

Some just score ther pistons and others will actually put a hole in the piston or just melt it. The problem with some of the engines is they are half gone when they get the reflash. Other problem is we don't really know what the afr's are with the new reflash. Jim at Dynotech is supposed to get those numbers so we will know. Most guys that are blowing up have done some part throttle riding and thats were the problem is.

Yes I am running a pwrcmdr and have not had any problems. Yes it cost a few bucks but I have also paid for a pipe,reeds and few other things. It is just one more piece to make my sled run better than the next guys.

V

Vertical

Mar 10, 2008
Exhaust side scoring!!

We've done a few of the new 800's and they all look the same. There is always excessive exhaust side scoring and the intake side has about an inch of scuffing at the very bottom of the skirt. Here's a couple pics.
Warranty_066.jpg

Warranty_065.jpg

Warranty_068.jpg

Warranty_067.jpg

Last edited:
T
Snow injestion will also cause that as the snow is like a steam cleaner removing that much needed oil film from the cyl.wall. After my oil issue Polaris advised my dealer to seal ALL holes on my air box as my throttle bodys were black with belt dust!!!!!Only way in was from clips that hold the air box together and was probably drawn in below the air horns...Garry

A
Nov 13, 2008
those pistons in the pic look just like my 2 sets now. My sled uses plent of oil and was well warmed up both times it went down. definately getting frustrating though, and this time after the reflash plug color was spot on didn't appear lean at all just locked up the pto side, and when it freed up and started there was antifreeze in the exhaust. Oh well dealer figures ill have it by the weekend with a second top end and no reason why it went down or guarantee that it won't again. Not a banner year so far for me.

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
Thats a simple one-----Lean!

Cold is on on 4 points and very clean and narrow.

oil-- intake side and equal all around.

I see very little on the intake and likly from this piston swelling on the exhaust side up near the crown and pushing the intake skirt over a little.

The only other cause would be do to something in the exhaust. I have seen a tight pipe create a simalar look.

So I would look in the following areas, air leak, dirty injectors, incorrect fuel map, or exhaust problems.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
How about posting info on TPS-did your dealer check it during setup? Has it been checked now & was it set correctly? Several have said the same thing, the cause should be something that can/must be determined or it will just repeat itself.
Ask SW'er PenguinPoo about the DTR fuel controller. He has one and had to start from scratch using it at our altitude, 5000-8000'.

A
Nov 13, 2008
Thats a simple one-----Lean!

Cold is on on 4 points and very clean and narrow.

oil-- intake side and equal all around.

I see very little on the intake and likly from this piston swelling on the exhaust side up near the crown and pushing the intake skirt over a little.

The only other cause would be do to something in the exhaust. I have seen a tight pipe create a simalar look.

So I would look in the following areas, air leak, dirty injectors, incorrect fuel map, or exhaust problems.

by tight pipe do you mean an over restrictive exhaust issue, cuz i've been wondering if that has something to so with it and would a pipe and can help this or even just a freerer flowing can. I know i prolly sound dumb right now but im trying to figure it out cuz so far my dealer has nothing and this time i really dont think it was lean the plug color looked good every time i checked them i dont have egts on it so have been doing it the old fashioned way plugs and piston wash. These are all just questions, i've got a week in revy coming up soon and it would not be cool to have to take my girlfriends cat ha. Thanks for any help.

Premium Features