• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Man am i glad i had an ABS bag!!!!!

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Glad you're OK, one of your nine.

No disrespect, but did the bag work to keep you AND the sled from going under? Can't quite figure out how the bag saved you if you're still sitting on the sled. Am I missing something?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
i dont know how to tell if its not safe,and my friends were on it so i wanted the high mark,which i got.im not goin to stay away from every hill just because its dangerous.every sport has dangers and this is one.i can try to stay away from bad hills.would be nice to know how to tell a bad hill.maybe a avy coarse would be nice

The most important piece if avy gear is the thing you left at the bottom as you rode up the hill with 2 people at a time, you brain. Get some education.
I have a pack too, been in a lot of slides (so I can't say much for my main piece of avy gear either obviously:rolleyes:) but there are basic rules that are pretty simple.

Glad you made it out, doesn't look to me like the bag did much, but I'd DEFINATELY rather waste the $100 & blow the bags for sure!!

Go take some classes!!!!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Anyone can criticizes anyone elses choice to ride anyday. Of course the bag will not save you from all slides nor will an avy class. You can be armed will all the knowledge possible and dig all the pits on all aspects and still die. I believe it is foolish to not purchase any gear that may increase your chances. If you don't want to die in an avalanche, don't buy a mountain sled, and stay in bed. Thanks for the update, glad you are alive. Good post.

M
May 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone can criticizes anyone elses choice to ride anyday. Of course the bag will not save you from all slides nor will an avy class. You can be armed will all the knowledge possible and dig all the pits on all aspects and still die. I believe it is foolish to not purchase any gear that may increase your chances. If you don't want to die in an avalanche, don't buy a mountain sled, and stay in bed. Thanks for the update, glad you are alive. Good post.

Since the cold snap that hit basically all of BC back in mid December, it has been known that this year would be a bad year for slide conditions. I've made the decision to sled less this year, and when I do it isn't on slopes I feel are a risk, after getting educated on what to look for. Sledders will die in avys, but I'd hate to have it happen when the conditions this year are so well known, well publicized, and wide spread.

Live to ride another year.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Abs bags are great. safest device out there yet. I think in this slide, staying on your sled had more to do with it than anything as far as not going down. Not a big slide, but i'm sure it was scary as hell none the less.

glad your ok. so many werent this year.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Salmon Arm
So glad to see your ok man! Pretty sketchy conditions everywhere. I think I know what hill that is, looks familiar. Not something that would normally slide but then this year is not normal. Looks like you really hung on to your kitty! Probably a good thing it was pointing down hill instead of crossways.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
i dont know how to tell if its not safe,and my friends were on it so i wanted the high mark,which i got.im not goin to stay away from every hill just because its dangerous.every sport has dangers and this is one.i can try to stay away from bad hills.would be nice to know how to tell a bad hill.maybe a avy coarse would be nice

Look bud - with an attitude like that you are going to be the next statistic. I'm not going to put you down or call you names, but your uneducated actions are putting your FRIENDS in danger too. Remember who has to come dig your a$$ out when you are buried? Remember all the guys in Fernie earlier this season - don't be a repeat.

If you can spend the $1000 on the ABS bag but can't make time for an avy class you are a liability to your group and those around you.

I'll get off my soap box now - but i hope that you get to an avy class STAT. Read the damn avy report EVERY SINGLE time before you ride. Stay a live and keep your friends that way too. you already lost one and didn't do damn thing to learn anymore about it!? Jeez. Get educated son!!!

R
Feb 2, 2008
Grande Prairie
Look bud - with an attitude like that you are going to be the next statistic. I'm not going to put you down or call you names, but your uneducated actions are putting your FRIENDS in danger too. Remember who has to come dig your a$$ out when you are buried? Remember all the guys in Fernie earlier this season - don't be a repeat.

If you can spend the $1000 on the ABS bag but can't make time for an avy class you are a liability to your group and those around you.

I'll get off my soap box now - but i hope that you get to an avy class STAT. Read the damn avy report EVERY SINGLE time before you ride. Stay a live and keep your friends that way too. you already lost one and didn't do damn thing to learn anymore about it!? Jeez. Get educated son!!!

You could not have put it any better!! I was also caught in an avy a few weeks ago and let me say i did do some things wrong and i will admit it. First i didn't have a pack or never been to a avy coorse, but i had everything else. Most of my group had packs and even have taken the avy course but no one dug and no one check the reports before we went. I know very stupid on our part and thats one thing that has changed. My group was hitting the hill ONE at a time and things were good. I wasn't being cocky by trying to get the high mark or anything i was just trying out some clutching changes. My first climb of the day when i triggered it. Slid was wider than yours and the slab was 2-3 feet deep. A lot more snow at the bottom! 20-30 feet in places! I got knocked off the sled at the top buy a wall of snow comming over a rock face and tumbled down with the avy. I got bent up pretty good but stayed ontop untill things started slowing down then i started getting pulled under. I stopped up to my chest and dug myself out. I will be getting a pack and trainning and if i do ride again this year it will be just in the meddows!

Glade your ok.

I am not going to be another STAT and hope you will not be either. This is something to learn from and tell others so its time to start making some right decisions. Like said above, your not only putting your life at risk! Think about your group too!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
you just float on top af the avalanche ??????

can it be deploy more than one time or only once ???????

seem to work really well

They work like a life reserver does in water, keeps you on top.

One time, then you need a repack. Some need new parts, some just need a refill. (abs costs about $100 to refill as of this december)

It does seem odd to spend a grand on a pack but not learn any avy safety.

One thing to keep in mind for everybody, there are usually "intro to avy" classes for cheap or free, and there are lots of different classes around that are under $100.

You stop getting paid & having free time after you DIE, get educated... you might even save someone else's life!

R
Dec 30, 2007
Salmon arm
the pack is $160 here to get the new cartridge and handle but i have the old black cartridge so the new one can be filled here in canada says arctic cat.the old cartridges have to be sent back to germany or where ever there made

Premium Features