• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Man am i glad i had an ABS bag!!!!!

R
Dec 30, 2007
Salmon arm
Me and some friends were at blue lake today climbin some hills when me and a buddy were caught in an avalanch.my buddy managed to out run it while i started floating on it.well near the bottom it started to suck me under.once at a stop more came up behind me and pushed against me never burried me.i was quick on the rip cord,so i was told by a buddy.best $1000 i ever spent now.you would have to be dumb not to get one.scaryest thing that has happened to me.just thankfull im still here.

avalanch day1 017smaller.JPG avalanch day1 018smaller.JPG avalanch day1 028smaller.JPG avalanch day1 038smaller.JPG avalanch day 006smaller.JPG

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Great to see you are ok!! Did you post this esewhere? Nice pics shows how it could have been worse,,thanks for posting this info. Drives the point home.....

Richey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Glad to hear that your OK. Good to see that the ABS bags did their job and kept you on top of the snow.

R
Dec 30, 2007
Salmon arm
oh man did i ever hold on to it.didnt want to fall off at all.it happened so quick to.after my buddy died near owls head about a month ago i decided to get all my equipment and boy am i glad i did.

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
WOW - Glad you are able to share the pictures.
ABS bag is sure worth the investement when the investment is your life.
I'm sure its not the case but your pics look like it even kept the sled up.

T
Very Glad this Bag worked out for you:D:D I have buddy"s that ride with these also and would like to get your opinion on this If you had been riding in the trees???? I have been in two slides also where in the first one I had to swim to stay on top and ended up mid slide but my sled ended up down in the trees. Second one I rode out in front once again through the tree's. I have asked avy instructors if a bag would help and have been told each slide is differant...if there is nothing in front to break your neck...Tree's Rock's ect a bag is the best HOWEVER if there are those obsticals there you instead of the mass of snow will take out the tree's.....So I just don't want snowester's thinking if I have this bag and a peep's I can live threw any avy.....the best avy safty gear is your head....and you are GROUNDED for two weeks:confused:nuf said glad your ok, just remember live TO LEARN...Garry

M
May 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Glad to hear you made it out ok.....Did you hold onto your sled for dear life or what?...haha

Glad you're OK! I got a pack earlier this season.

I believe it's a known fact that much trauma from being in a slide is from getting banged against your sled. I know it's different in every circumstance (Your buddy managed to get away, for example ) but it's something to think about.

ronniehotdogg

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Nice glad to see your ok. All of us need to have one, I hate hearing about dead sledders. Post your story in more areas and web sites. I would like to see more air bags on the mountain

B
Nov 27, 2007
Ok. Sorry to hear about your buddy who died last month. Glad you made it out.
You said your buddies death scared you enough to get an avy bag, but obviously you learnt nothing about avy safety. Why were there two of you on the slope???? Why were you climbing when the Canadian Avalanche centre put out a special avy warning covering most regions of BC for this weekend????

I guess a friends death didn't hit close enough to home for you. Maybe now that it was almost your life you will re-evaluate your decisions and avy knowledge!

R
Dec 30, 2007
Salmon arm
i dont know how to tell if its not safe,and my friends were on it so i wanted the high mark,which i got.im not goin to stay away from every hill just because its dangerous.every sport has dangers and this is one.i can try to stay away from bad hills.would be nice to know how to tell a bad hill.maybe a avy coarse would be nice

Premium Features