• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KC9 w/159... track repl. help, recomendations, referals?

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
Hey guys. Was out covering up the sled the other day and noticed I threw a lug sometime last year. Must have been road skipping or something because I never made it out to the hills last year and honestly didn't expect to have any damage to repair before heading up this year. :face-icon-small-con

So, the lug came out whole, right down to expose the canvas. I'm pretty new to this and thinking I probably shouldn't be trusting this track anymore. It would be less of a concern if the lug busted off in 1/2, but taking all the rubber around it's base... I'm just not sure about it.

Here's my bigger concern. How do I tell what size track is on there. Is it stamped on the track somewhere, that I missed? Where should I be looking?

Last year, I tried to replace my broken rails, so I went to iceage and ordered a 162 for the '04 KC9. They didn't have any in stock but whipped one up and got it out to me. It was another few months before I could afford to get it down to the shop and put it on, while getting some other work done. When we tried to mount it... we found that it was about 3" to long. Rather than call iceage and have a replacement swap re-shipped for a "custom" order, we trimmed it to fit the track and called it good.

Now... having bought a 162" that was 3" to long, I can only assume the existing track is a 159". When I bought the sled it was advertised as a 162x16x2.5... so now I don't know what to think.

I assume someone either swapped the hood of a King Cat onto a Mountain Cat chassis, or swapped the track out from under an MC parts sled.

I'd really like to get some ideas on what could have been used or done and what I've really got, before I try to find another track.

Also... if anyone's got a good line on a track, a place to buy one or a good, solid condition used one... I wouldn't be opposed to taking it off their hands. :face-icon-small-win

Here's the sled... if it helps any.

when I first brought it home:
hogsled-(2).jpg
hogsled-(1).jpg

how she's sitting now:
10_23_13-kc900-(7).jpg
10_23_13-kc900-(3).jpg

(more, bigger pics here: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/24054 or...
click here to see the giant pic and view the missing lug, on the very tip, rear of the track: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1000386_1)

Last edited:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
It looks like that's really a King Cat, unless someone swapped the hood/seat/front suspension. I don't see titanium springs in the rear suspension, and they should be though.

For track length, measure from one row of lugs to the next, should be either 2.52", 2.86", or 3". That's the pitch. Then count the number of "rows" and multiply. That gets you the length. A 162", 3" pitch track has 54 rows. A 159" 2.52" pitch track has 63.

There should also be a molded part number in the track somewhere. Post up a picture of that and someone can tell you what it is.

If your rails were actually 3" too long, then they sent you the wrong rails. The difference in length between 159" rails and 162" rails is at most 1.5"

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
It looks like that's really a King Cat, unless someone swapped the hood/seat/front suspension. I don't see titanium springs in the rear suspension, and they should be though.

For track length, measure from one row of lugs to the next, should be either 2.52", 2.86", or 3". That's the pitch. Then count the number of "rows" and multiply. That gets you the length. A 162", 3" pitch track has 54 rows. A 159" 2.52" pitch track has 63.

There should also be a molded part number in the track somewhere. Post up a picture of that and someone can tell you what it is.

If your rails were actually 3" too long, then they sent you the wrong rails. The difference in length between 159" rails and 162" rails is at most 1.5"
Excellent info and dumb'd down perfectly. I've been seriously wondering how to figure that out and haven't been able to run across it on the forums. Teach a man to fish... and all that. Thank you.

I may be exaggerating on the trim length. Shop took care of it before I got there. Had to do it twice... to get it setting right. Info I should have verified before making the order last time. :face-icon-small-dis

I tend to suspect it's a king and someone replaced the tunnel (no markings to identify length, as seen on most) and probably the rear suspension. I don't know enough to verify though. The rails on it had been repaired already, I repaired them again to finish off the season before going to the new set.

As far as the track goes just get a tube of E6000 from Walmart and seal the torn area with it. Should be good to go.
And that will last? seriously? How long can I expect that little fix to hold out? I could see one trip out but I'd hate to shred a track out on the hill.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington

You were dead on idcatman! thanks so much. I just did the measurement according to your given specs. IceAge must have totally sent me the wrong rails. That mistake put my understanding of the sled in total doubt.
Now that I know how to measure the track, turns out I do have a 162x16x3 Camoplast Challenger Extreme. Makes much more sense. Thank you so much. Heading to the snow show in a few minutes and this will make all the difference. :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features