• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hyvo gears or not?

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Earlier I was wondering about changing gears in my King cat, now I have to:( I have my chaincase apart to swap tracks and I found that it's geared for 0-3000 feet. It has 19/40 gearing:eek: I would like to go to 19/43 or 19/44 hyvo setup. The only problem is that I have mechanical reverse, is that and hyvos compatible?:confused: Thanks

Maybe geared right you will actually be able to climb something!:D:beer;

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
Chain pitch.......

2-zeros is that a 72 or 74 pitch chain? How do you remove the cover and not have a mess of oil in the bottom of the belly pan? I was thinking of putting it on its side, And removing, Then cleaning up the case before install. Unless there is a better way? Oh, What are you running for lube?

Thanks
Mike

I am not exactly sure, I'll have to do some checking. I think it is a 74? But don't want to give bad info. Also for the draining of the oil? Kingcats have a drain plug, I just pull it the day before I want the cover off. No mess at all. It makes it very easy to change the oil also. Happy New Year -00's

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I wonder if a larger dia. roller on the tensioner would help to keep wear on the chain down at the dogleg? Looks like a tight bend there.

Mike

Last edited:

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Yes, 74 pitch and I do believe it is a perfect pitch assy, Meaning that the chain will be tight and the tensioner will be backed all the way out. "Happy New year to all of you out there"

Mike

you have to give it a little tension but not much.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
2zeros I changed gearsets today, No drain plug like the kings, So siphoned and worked great! Also mine has a second tensioner on the straight side of the chain with a spring connecting the two. Did the King or '04's and later delete this for some reason? Original chain/gears look perfect, But I see the size difference of the pins and links. Both chains weigh exactly the same.

Mike

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
No, I have a 03.5 151 mtn. I noticed that the pic had no left side tensioner with a double spring connecting the two. I was wondering if it was really necessary, Or if AC removed it because of problems? I have never seen a Reverse set-up pic.

Thanks
Mike

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
I would have posted a pic of mine, but I'm not smart enough to figure out how and I just got it put back together. One other question tho, does a new chain and sprockets make a little noise (about 3/4 mile) until they mesh with my existing idler sprocket? I hope so because mine did and then it went away.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
80, I would assume it would take a little until it seats, But don't remember any sounds when it was new. '76 so this extra weight and bearing that I am spinning was found on the 03's and earlier? So you see this of little to no usage, Was just wondering if it was to keep the tight side from slapping around when you let off the throttle or something? Reminds me of the old El Tigre adjuster blocks in the early 80's. Little or no usage then in the parts bucket it will go, Just another bearing to replace the adjuster one with!

Mike

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I would have posted a pic of mine, but I'm not smart enough to figure out how and I just got it put back together. One other question tho, does a new chain and sprockets make a little noise (about 3/4 mile) until they mesh with my existing idler sprocket? I hope so because mine did and then it went away.

I don't remember my new ones making any noise in my 1M...but as long as it went away I wouldn't worry about it. ;):eek::beer;

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
80arrow did you pull up on the chain as you adjusted the tensioner? I would double check cause if the chain links were not meshed it could cause premature wear.

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
I went with the 18 top, and my chain did not last the whole year. After I had another problem I noticed a couple of broken links. I am not saying not to, but keep an eye on the chain. I went with the hyvo setup 18/46. I have been told the hyvo setup is the way to go. Check this out. 1st pic is silent chain 2nd one is 18/46 HYVO setup.
DSCN0498.jpg
DSCN0599.jpg

On my sled there is another gear on the left side between the top and bottem gears, with another guide on the outside of the chain where the bolt is in the pic. This was the only gear I didn't replace, thats why I thought it might take a while to "mesh". No I didn't pull up on the chain when I tightened the chain.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
That stupid auto adjuster................

I got rid of that! It would help the chain not get too loose if you never adjusted it. The guy who keeps his chain adjusted doesn't need this. Some models came with it, and some didn't? I gotta ask if it is needed or not, if some models don't even have them? -00's

F
Mar 13, 2008
i broke my chain yesterday :(

was wondering what you guys would recomend

my ride is a 2003 800efi 151 (151x16x2")

im planning on going 990 union bay bigbore in the summer

but sure still wanna ride this season

by the reading thruw this thread i get a little confused

some guy said if bigbore go 20/43

problem i have with this that royal distributing doesnt offe a 20 sprocket for 15wide chain
so shpuld i consider 19 or 21 than ???

or maybe something totally different

machine gets ridden 50/50
trails arround whitecourt alavation arround 3000
and mountains mostly valemount, mc bride, blue river

would apreciate any help thx

Premium Features