• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gauge help

A
Nov 6, 2009
I need help on where to go from here. Last year I installed electric start on my 19 mountain cat. I bought it from a blown up 19 high country. The wiring harness was included in the sale. I dielectric greased every connection when i put it back together. Everything worked as it should. I then went up to the UP and it was below 0 while riding my gauge wouldn't work. Everything else worked as it should. I got home and unloaded it and gauge was back to working. I regreased most of the connections and it worked fine around home. This year when I went up to the U.P. it worked fine the first day and then on the second day it said I was in reverse when I was clearly not. Everything ran fine and worked fine except it said I was in reverse. I then came home and after about a week of sitting the reverse indicator went away. I then went on a trip to Wyoming and in the middle of the second day riding it was back to saying I was stuck in reverse, eventhough I was going forward. On the last day of riding it was below freezing and the gauge did not work at all again. I came home and tore it apart and pulled that main harness out and every single connection is full of dielectric grease. I cannot see any visible damage to the harness. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Too much grease?
Di electric is for the connector not the connections. Not meant to be put directly on the connections. It's to help heep the moisture out and aid in it sliding together
They make a different kind of contact grease for the contacts but it's usually for aluminum connections

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The handlebar control on the left side that runs reverse can go bad and hold moisture. Seen it cause problems with the sled trying to go into reverse on it's own or saying it's in reverse.

A
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks for all the help, I am going with too much grease and am cleaning all the connections up and putting it back together. I'll let you know how it goes

A
Nov 6, 2009
It seems as though I had too much grease in the connections, I pulled them all apart and cleaned em all out, put back together and good as new! Thanks for all the help

Premium Features