• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hyvo gears or not?

S
Mar 4, 2008
Bend, OR
dont mean to highjack but i just took a look at my hyvo chain and i broke a link in under 1 month of use. i had 19/43 gears. i know everyone says 18 is too small but what about 19? will one broken link make the thing explode on me?

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Stock chain and 20/43 here. No issues so far and I don't baby it. I think the key to keeping chains on these things is to get rid of that 19T top gear. Oh, and it never hurts to assemble it correctly. Not saying that the HYVO set-up isn't a great improvement, plenty of guys out there running them, I didn't have the coin at the time I broke so I can't speak from personal experience. Just reporting my good luck so far. The 20T is a bit#h to get the chain on (no adjustment) but works good! BONUS, you lose 1/2 lb. or so by putting the adjuster in your "spare" parts bin!

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Don't put the lower gear on backwards, Adjusting the tensioner to take out the slack, And make sure the cover gasket didn,t get pinched. Other than that straight forward.

Mike

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
^^ Exactly! I put the lower gear on backwards and toasted the new chain first ride out. No slack with 20T top and stock chain, and I do mean none.

F
Mar 13, 2008
wohoooo

i blew my chain again today :devil::devil::devil::devil:

i just replaced it 2 weeks ago from my spare sled and had to go
20/39 cause the chain was to short to except the lower 43 sprocket

so went out today played for about 60miles in 2-3feet and bang broke again #

im so piss...d off

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
wohoooo

i blew my chain again today :devil::devil::devil::devil:

i just replaced it 2 weeks ago from my spare sled and had to go
20/39 cause the chain was to short to except the lower 43 sprocket

so went out today played for about 60miles in 2-3feet and bang broke again #

im so piss...d off

Mine Stretched quite a bit my first ride. I had to stop and adjust it after about 20 miles. It was starting to grind the bottom of the case. Changed the oil, and re-adjusted it after the 2nd ride, and no probs since.

Hyvo:

20/46 74pitch chain

Premium Features