• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bottom gears

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
Whats the ratio for 18/42. I see 18/41 is 2.277 to 1. Will 18/41 or 18/42 work ok in a 06 900 166 track with my stock 76p chain? I want more track speed but don't want to buy a chain if i can get away with it. Guess I have kinda the same question as crazyskierwb.

If you want more track speed, wouldn't you want to gear up instead of down? Am I missing something here?

The ratio is the larger number divided by the smaller number. 40/20 is 2 to 1 ratio, 42/18 is 2.33 to 1 ratio, etc. Not trying to be a smart azz, just thought you might wanna know.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Gearing up is going to give you overall a higher top end.

but....

Gearing down is going to help your engine keep a higher track speed when climbing. If your sled is losing alot of power climbing up a steep hill then gear down will help keep the your rpm's up and allow you to keep that higher track speed when under load.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
track speed

I don't seem to loose any rpms climbing with 19/42 so maybe I'm ok. Just want as much track speed as possible. Seems like with a 166 track I should be geared down lower than the 151 and 159. Just want to get the most out of my sled as I can. The 166 floats great just think I should gear it down a little more. Any more thoughts on what works best?

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
If you want more track speed, wouldn't you want to gear up instead of down? Am I missing something here?

The ratio is the larger number divided by the smaller number. 40/20 is 2 to 1 ratio, 42/18 is 2.33 to 1 ratio, etc. Not trying to be a smart azz, just thought you might wanna know.

Thanks, didn't know how to figure out the ratio.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Gearing up is going to give you overall a higher top end.

but....

Gearing down is going to help your engine keep a higher track speed when climbing. If your sled is losing alot of power climbing up a steep hill then gear down will help keep the your rpm's up and allow you to keep that higher track speed when under load.

Seems like the rps stay up but the wear mark on my primary is about a 1/2 in. from the top of the sheave. So I was thinking I'm not using all my clutch and if I gear down it will shift out more and give me more track speed climbing.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Personally, Stay away from running an 18T top gear in these 900's. There isn't enough surface area on an 18T for the chain and you will chip the teeth off the gear. If you can come up with the same gear ratio with a larger top gear it is far better.

Premium Features