• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Attention: Corporate office of Artic Cat….Redesign the Diamond Drive!!!!

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Attention: Corporate office of Artic Cat….Redesign the Diamond Drive!!!!

I had my 08 M8 pinned up a hill when the Diamond Drive locked up the track. This rapid loss of forward momentum tossed my body forward and forced me to violently kiss the bumper; this hurts and puts the mind in disarray when going up hill.

Skidoo resolved the 08 XP driveshaft issue with a complete no hassle warranty exchange after only one year of problems, how long and how many lawsuits will it take AC to remedy this issue???...someone will get hurt from such this horrid design.

We all know plenty of people have had bad diamond drives from both the M8 and M1000, now would be a great time for AC to recall this inferior product and release a chaincase retrofit (or a complete overhall of the current DD design, take one apart and look at it, its clear waht is wrong with this design)…its 2009 and this design is extremely inferior to anything currently on the market.

+++++UPDATE+++++
Had a few minutes to remove and take a look…i only had a hour to spare, it appears a need to pull the inner bearing off to get further????

The damage seems to be: 5 planetary gears, center sun gear that is part of the shaft or who knows?….the ring gear looks fine, by design the sun and planetary gears will fail before the ring gear…thank god they got that right. But the fact remains – this is a caveman gearbox, where is expected gear debris going to go?…nowhere, it cant, just bounces around and eats up all the other teeth…retarded!!! A correctly designed gearbox would have an exit path for debris and a sizeable low point area to collect this debris…hell, most have a magnetic dip stick of sort to collect said debris….oh hold the phone, they have had this simple maintenance friendly design on BRP sleds for a years. Rant Over!

DD.jpg

DD_2.jpg

DD_3.jpg

DD_4.jpg

Last edited:
M
Dec 2, 2007
MT
I had my 08 M8 pinned up a hill when the Diamond Drive locked up the track. This rapid loss of forward momentum tossed my body forward and forced me to violently kiss the bumper; this hurts and puts the mind in disarray when going up hill.

Skidoo resolved the 08 XP driveshaft issue with a complete no hassle warranty exchange after only one year of problems, how long and how many lawsuits will it take AC to remedy this issue???...someone will get hurt from such this horrid design.

We all know plenty of people have had bad diamond drives from both the M8 and M1000, now would be a great time for AC to recall this inferior product and release a chaincase retrofit (or a complete overhall of the current DD design, take one apart and look at it, its clear waht is wrong with this design)…its 2009 and this design is extremely inferior to anything currently on the market.

The only planetary driven gear box is a horrid design? I have over 5000 miles with out a problem?

What is teh problem with it?

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Innefficiency, It swallows BHP to the ground, Like an automatic transmission! Since the engine now reverses on its own, Just put a chain drive lika a Hyvo setup and forget about it!

Mike

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Innefficiency, It swallows BHP to the ground, Like an automatic transmission! Since the engine now reverses on its own, Just put a chain drive lika a Hyvo setup and forget about it!

Mike

This DD will fail on a stock sled also, who makes a chaincase retrofit?, does it drop and roll?, anyone here running it?, how much?

I just added some pics

M
Dec 16, 2007
montana
There is a company on here that builds a chain drive replacement for the diamond drive. I think that its supremetoolinc. Not a hundred percent sure about the name just look for there add on here pops up everynow and then. Its spendy but maybe its worth the money.

05 m7 (currently minus one diamond drive)
99 polaris mod

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
The 07 08 design is inferior no doubt. The 05-06 and 09 design is a solid Gear box. If it was mine I would put the 09 DD in my 07-08 and forget about reverse. Babbitts has them for aprx. 450 bucks. Sorry for your trouble. BDX may have some heavier duty parts to put in your 07-08 DD case. Don't know for sure.

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
Honestly what was wrong with a chain case? As soon as my DD fails I will be either purchasing a retrofit for a chain case or making my own chaincase.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Riverton, UT
So you're running a turbo with 12 pounds of boost, and your transmission blows up, go figure. Maybe you should have upgraded to the BD lite, that is rated for higher HP, at the same time you did your turbo.

I have had one blow on my M1000 as well, covered under warranty, I would rather forgo the reverse, as I think that is where the problem starts. If mine goes again, I will buy the BD lite, save 12 pounds, and have better durability. But I'll have to consider my departure route when I park.

I disagree with the efficiency argument, at higher RPM's gears are much more efficient than a chaincase, (if my mechanical engineering course memory is correct). At low RPM's I agree the chain would be as effective, but as the RPM's increase, the chaincase system has to redirect the motion of a whole chains worth of independant parts, which results in lost power and reduced efficiency. The rigid structure of a gear system, does not drop off in efficiency as the RPM's increase.

I'll keep my Diamond Drive, even if it occasionaly blows up.

So you're running a turbo with 12 pounds of boost, and your transmission blows up, go figure. Maybe you should have upgraded to the BD lite, that is rated for higher HP, at the same time you did your turbo.

I have had one blow on my M1000 as well, covered under warranty, I would rather forgo the reverse, as I think that is where the problem starts. If mine goes again, I will buy the BD lite, save 12 pounds, and have better durability. But I'll have to consider my departure route when I park.

I disagree with the efficiency argument, at higher RPM's gears are much more efficient than a chaincase, (if my mechanical engineering course memory is correct). At low RPM's I agree the chain would be as effective, but as the RPM's increase, the chaincase system has to redirect the motion of a whole chains worth of independant parts, which results in lost power and reduced efficiency. The rigid structure of a gear system, does not drop off in efficiency as the RPM's increase.

I'll keep my Diamond Drive, even if it occasionaly blows up.

Nothing personnal but I work with engineers every day and many things work on paper but in life, well lets just say right now we have millions on dollars in engineering mistakes that we are replaceing with parts that we had argued were the correct setup. I have a little grudge with engineers sorry.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
This goes back to why so many people are having so much belt and clutch trouble... With out seeing one of these myself really,,, and having rudimentary design skills it's not difficult to see that with THIS COPY, of the DD will fail... In cat's quest for better lighter sleds they over looked or more likely ignored better judgment and rushed this product to market. That is why the clutching is so soft, to protect it. A three gear set up could be built that would both be efficient and tough. Oh well not able to buy one of these sleds now any way but when I do Probably will buy a 900 1M and have just as much fun. Because I know I can make it rider forward and lighter, with killer bottom end power. Oh Ya,, why don't they use this in snow cross???

E
Sep 5, 2008
Canada
It says this will only work with a 13.5" track. And there are working on one for a wider track.
1800 is way to steep.
I've never had trouble with the DD.
I do like the idea or changing gears the old fashion way.Way easier than removing the DD everytime.:beer;

Premium Features