• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

It's time to change oil in my Diamond Drive, will this work?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The snow is piling up in the mountains and I had better get going on getting the sleds ready. I need to change the diamond drive oil. The 09 M8 only takes 3 ounces of gear oil I believe. The 05 M5 takes more but, I can't remember how much right now. I have a couple Yamahas that I should probably change the chain case oil in as well.

I was wondering, the pictured Walmart 75-140 synthetic gear oil is what I plan to use in the Yamaha chain cases. Since I already have a couple bottles of this stuff, would it be ok to use this in the diamond drives or am I better off paying the Cat dealer for their more pricey gear oil reportedly designed specifically for diamond drive use.

DSC05430.jpg

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
The 05 takes 3 0z. The 09 takes 15 oz. That oil is too heavy to run in something with a planetary drive in it, especially in cold weather. Get some dd oil or some amsoil synthetic chaincase oil. Some people have used 20w hydraulic.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I read the DD oil is 10 wt. Gear lube is way to heavy, I plan on running synthetic ATF in mine, I can't figure any reason it won't work fine. I've always ran ATF in my chiancase and have never had a failure of any kind. Tactors and heavy equipment drive on trans fluid and they have some demanding use.

T

thewayout

Jan 22, 2008
Mobile

Been changing my DD drive oil frequently & find it gets contaminated & slug like if not done. Used DD oil the first couple of times & kinda ran out. Started running mobile 10-40w syn Diesel oil. Have it on hand for the Duramax so it's conveinant & the oil still looks decent when I change it out. All good

S
Feb 21, 2009
napa hyro oil

If you want to save money the cheapest way I found is napa hydrolic oil. Its the same as cat oil and is about same price for a gallon....

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
RP

ROYAL PURPLE FOR ME 2 YEARS CLEAN AND EASY!!! ( change the damn oil often that was arctic cats intended idea) if not buy a supply of diamond drives!!

Just read the MSDS and data sheets for both, looks fairly similar, also viscosity is almost spot on. Looks like I'll be going the RP way. 16.99 a quart, so that will do two oil changes for me, instead of one for the same $$

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Whatever Royal Purple product it ends up being, I hope they sell it at Walmart.

That way, the wife won't know it's for a snowmobile and the money for it doesn't come out of my mad money account :)

Keep the good ideas coming guys.

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Im runnin Amsoil Synthetic Chaincase Oil. I like how its clear when new. that way you know if its burnt or whatever when you change it.

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
What do you all use to flush the cases if you do not want to separate them? I split the cases every summer, new seals every summer, and new bearings every two years to avoid problems. It would be nice to change the oil more often mid-season and not split the cases. I would definitely be checking the old oil for pieces of metal. If I found any I would tear the whole thing down of course. I pull the whole unit out, so I could really shake some flush around well. The BDX stuff seems pricey! I run amsoil chaincase oil in my DD, it works well. Thanks

Premium Features