• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

It's time to change oil in my Diamond Drive, will this work?

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Whatever Royal Purple product it ends up being, I hope they sell it at Walmart.

That way, the wife won't know it's for a snowmobile and the money for it doesn't come out of my mad money account :)

Keep the good ideas coming guys.

I thing you are out of luck. I had to go to Carquest to get my Royal Purple. Walmart didn't carry it here.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for checking MikeW5945. I see they do have some Royal Purple products.

How do the prices compare of these gear and chain case oils?

I know the Cat oil isn't cheap but, Amsoil and Royal Purple aren't exactly known for their low cost prices either.

I do have a guy at work that is an Amsoil guy and I will ask him next week when he is back to work.

I
Nov 27, 2007
i used 75-90 gear oil last year with no apparent ill side affects. Just got done going through it for this year and didnt notice anything out of the normal. I think i will be running 5w-40 shell rotella T6 in it this year. Seems to have a wide viscosity range and should work good. i dont see anything wrong with 75-140 gear oil (maybe a little thick). You have to consider that 75-90 gear oil is pretty close to 10-30 motor oil. They only use different weight ranges to reduce confusion between gear oil and motor oil.

Last edited:

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
i used 75-90 gear oil last year with no apparent ill side affects. Just got done going through it for this year and didnt notice anything out of the normal. I think i will be running 5w-40 shell rotella T6 in it this year. Seems to have a wide viscosity range and should work good. i dont see anything wrong with 75-140 gear oil (maybe a little thick). You have to consider that 75-90 gear oil is pretty close to 10-30 motor oil. They only use different weight ranges to reduce confusion between gear oil and motor oil.

Do not listen to this. 10W30 and 75W90 are nowhere near the same in viscosity. Set a bottle of each outside at 20 below and try pouring them out. You'll see what I mean.

Check out the viscosities here:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_10W-30.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/Austria-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Synthetic_Gear_Oil_75W-90.aspx

I
Nov 27, 2007
Do not listen to this. 10W30 and 75W90 are nowhere near the same in viscosity. Set a bottle of each outside at 20 below and try pouring them out. You'll see what I mean.

Check out the viscosities here:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_10W-30.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/Austria-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Synthetic_Gear_Oil_75W-90.aspx

I will admit my numbers are off a little but the point i was trying to get across was the same, a 75W motor oil is not the same viscosity as 75W gear oil.

We've all heard the usual terms about the "weight" of the oils. 20w-50, 75w-90, 10w-40 - all these terms are bandied about with ease for most of us. But what do they really mean?

Without getting totally scientific, the terms represent viscosity measurements. They aren't "weights", as we like to call 'em. Viscosity is defined as: "the property of resistance to flow in a fluid".

We say that lower "weights" are thinner, meaning they flow more easily, or have less resistance to flowing. We want both the ability to easily flow during start up, and more resistance to flow at higher temperatures. The multi-grade oils we use give us both these attributes, and help our engines live much longer than in the day of using straight 50w, 60w, and even 70w in an old Pan or Shovel motor. But there are some trade-offs with the multi-grade oils. They "shear" more easily than straight oils. Shear is when the oil's actual molecular chains are sliced into pieces. When that happens the viscosity drops, and the oil provides less protection.

That's just a bit of a basic oil primer. In the past year or so HD, as well as several oil manufacturers, have started recommending the use of their 20w-50 synthetic engine oil in more than just the engine. You can use it in the primary to lube the chain, and in the transmission, where it must operate in a gear-grindin' environment. So, how can HD say to use 20w-50 stuff where they once called for 75w-90 stuff? Wouldn't it be too thin to do the job?

Here's the answer: Viscosity is measured by different scales for engine oil and gear oil. The two systems aren't directly comparable, number-for-number. Here's a reasonably accurate comparison between the two systems. Please remember that I said "reasonably accurate", as there is some overlap.

SAE Engine Oil SAE Gear Oil

10w thru mid range of 20w = 75w

Mid 20w thru mid 30w = 80w

Mid 30w thru low 40w = 85w

Low 40w thru 50w = 90w

60w up = 140w

On the mobil website if you would take note of the pour point point for each of the two products they are within 3 degrees of each other.

Last edited:
D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
The w stands for winter, "as in cold temp", not weight. So your 20w- 50 is a 50 weight oil, but flows like 20 weight when cold. My truck calls for 5w-30, which when cold it is much easier to start with 5w-30 than it would if you had a straight sae 30.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
What do you all use to flush the cases if you do not want to separate them? I split the cases every summer, new seals every summer, and new bearings every two years to avoid problems. It would be nice to change the oil more often mid-season and not split the cases. I would definitely be checking the old oil for pieces of metal. If I found any I would tear the whole thing down of course. I pull the whole unit out, so I could really shake some flush around well. The BDX stuff seems pricey! I run amsoil chaincase oil in my DD, it works well. Thanks

Diesel fuel makes a good flush.

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
sorry i started the confusion

Yes, some reason my spell check didnt like syncromax
and switched it synchromesh

I've been using for over a decade works good on dd and chaincases . Use whatever oil i have laying around to flush and then run it on stand and drain again but honestly don't have problems just drain in clean container and change often .

Premium Features