• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

*** '04 800 Exhaust Valve Issues ***

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
I clean my exhaust valves once a year. Most years ride 700 - 1,000 miles. Last year did over 1,600, so I should have done this sooner.

I noticed at the end of last season, a little exhaust smoke coming out the left side valve (hole at the very front) when I first started it up cold. I figured I'd find a torn bellows?

Well, I cleaned the right side 1st and all went well, came right out and not too gummed up.

Left side - 1st I find the spring is broken and a lot of thick gooey oil between the bellows and cover; unusual. Next, there is no way I can get the ex. valve out, it's really stuck. Long story short, I put it together, warm up the engine and use the Orange County Chopper method; vice grips and big hammer!

Once out, I can see it was stuck not because of carbon/being gummed up, BUT: The metal was all chewed up on the lower side, closest to the piston; kind of in a half moon shape. Like it had been stuck in the closed position and vibrating up and down?

Question is: My bellows looks fine, how was exhaust smoke getting getting out? Did my valve get chewed up due to the broken spring, or do I have another issue?

Also, how can I tell if I have Aluminum or Stainless exhaust valves? Who sells the stainless ones, only Polaris?

Thanks much........

this1ultraflyz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, Saskquatchland
Had exactly same thing on mine last year. bought new ones from poo, they change up to stainless. Bought the whole kit, comes with valve spring bellow and gasket. They where making ti bu not available any more. They need to cleaned more often. probably every 700 mi for sure. You will figure it as cheap insurance after you pay the bill on the new kits.

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Had exactly same thing on mine last year. bought new ones from poo, they change up to stainless. Bought the whole kit, comes with valve spring bellow and gasket. They where making ti bu not available any more. They need to cleaned more often. probably every 700 mi for sure. You will figure it as cheap insurance after you pay the bill on the new kits.

Thanks, how much did they nick you for the kit?

Premium Features